SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,312
    Mentioned
    877 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)

    What annoys you the MOST about this forum?

    If you were me and you could change one thing about this forum, what would it be?

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) I think sometimes mods are too quick to lock a topic to further replies.
    2) A link to the advanced search page should be located prominently somewhere near the top. I had to bookmark it.
    3) A link to our own recent posts so we can quickly check for replies to threads we posted in. I use the advanced search form and type in my username.

  3. #3
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    23,588
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    3) A link to our own recent posts so we can quickly check for replies to threads we posted in. I use the advanced search form and type in my username.
    That's available on the My SitePoint page. That's my go-to page on this site.

    You can also view your latest posts via the link on your profile page, or by clicking your username in any post and choosing View Forum Posts.

    You can also click your username top right on any page and click Find latest posts on the left.

  4. #4
    Mouse catcher silver trophy
    Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,820
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    1) I think sometimes mods are too quick to lock a topic to further replies.
    2) A link to the advanced search page should be located prominently somewhere near the top. I had to bookmark it.
    3) A link to our own recent posts so we can quickly check for replies to threads we posted in. I use the advanced search form and type in my username.
    Without wanting to sound defensive, there's usually a good reason why we lock threads, and what you don't always see is the amount of drivel that we have deleted. If you find a thread that you think has been closed prematurely, flag it for a moderator's attention and we'll explain why it was locked a/o consider unlocking it.

    Another way to find replies to threads you have participated in is to use What's New, and those threads are marked with a green spot.

  5. #5
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,312
    Mentioned
    877 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    1)
    2) A link to the advanced search page should be located prominently somewhere near the top. I had to bookmark it.
    You are right! That seems to have disappeared. I'll get it back asap.

  6. #6
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make posts count towards your total count in general discussion

  7. #7
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Forums general structure is outdated.

    I also would like to see the updated Forums structure. Javascript no longer ties only with jQuery, JS landscape changed drastically and both SPF and SP seem too miss the early start, like with RWD, or NoSQL, which is nowhere to be found. I myself tried PHP, Python, Ruby, FreePascal,Golang, Rust before decided that now it's time to take JS more seriously.


    Discourage users to treat SPF as an after-school place

    Most quality users will be attracted by a forum that sits well into today. SPF seems a bit conservative and cozy right now. We need more in-depth quality posts about current trends and less "___ is not working, please do this so I don't have to" for insanely simple issues that generate too much noise.

    This should be discourage. Encourage posts one can enjoy reading and response, that are clarifying and challenging. I like helping people, but copy-paste effort is pretty pointless. Less of that will attract users that found an incentive to stay here for longer.


    Discourage "badges" to sway matters they are less privy to than they think they are

    New comers may actually be experienced people. The ability moderators have to impose their opinion on tech stuff based on their administrative position is hurting these users responses. What I mean is that a badge and a big post number may wrongly be looked at as actual experience and knowledge, no matter the topic. There are limits to be recognized and humility to be exercised by everyone, not "badges" alone.

    I remember a couple of times when "badges" just group-cornered topics and prevented advancing technologies to be taken seriously. I can still remember how RWD was dismissed by the power of groups of mods only a couple of years back. And now, a little late, it's all over SP. That's unfortunate, and "badges" should exercise restrain.

  8. #8
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    23,588
    Mentioned
    411 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

    Quote Originally Posted by myty View Post
    RWD was dismissed by the power of groups of mods only a couple of years back
    Not around here, surely? I've not seen anyone dismissing RWD around here.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Signatures. It doesn't allow you to add sign before 90 days :O

  10. #10
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:


    Certainly. Not now, folks seem to accept it.
    But if you want. I can dig up old posts. Not that it'd take me any pleasure proving that.

    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Off Topic:



    Not around here, surely? I've not seen anyone dismissing RWD around here.

  11. #11
    From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    guido2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    9,396
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebDeveloperSahil View Post
    Signatures. It doesn't allow you to add sign before 90 days :O
    And there's a good reason for that

  12. #12
    SitePoint Addict
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    356
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with cheesedude, often posts get locked imho prematurely, particularly when an older thread gets resurrected. It seems to me that when someone finds an older thread because of a google search and posts something relevant to the thread, just because it's old doesn't make the thread irrelevant. Why not let additional information about a question accumulate in one place rather than insisting on starting a new thread?
    Doug G
    =====
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the view is always the same - Anon

  13. #13
    Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy
    Force Flow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    4,516
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    1) I think sometimes mods are too quick to lock a topic to further replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Without wanting to sound defensive, there's usually a good reason why we lock threads, and what you don't always see is the amount of drivel that we have deleted. If you find a thread that you think has been closed prematurely, flag it for a moderator's attention and we'll explain why it was locked a/o consider unlocking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    I agree with cheesedude, often posts get locked imho prematurely, particularly when an older thread gets resurrected. It seems to me that when someone finds an older thread because of a google search and posts something relevant to the thread, just because it's old doesn't make the thread irrelevant. Why not let additional information about a question accumulate in one place rather than insisting on starting a new thread?
    If old threads are resurrected with genuinely relevant and helpful/useful comments, we don't touch them.

    If the original poster has already received their answer, and a few months later, someone else posts a follow-up response that just repeats something that was said earlier, the thread is typically closed. There is typically little benefit to others for repeating what was already said in a thread that was already answered.

    If threads start gathering fluff, spam, or other useless posts (which we delete and you typically don't see), we close them, as Stevie mentioned. This is because the threads that are under spam attacks become too time consuming to monitor and the benefit to others for keeping them open tends to be minimal. Instead, it tends to be more productive (and fun) to focus our energy on newer and more active discussions.

    If you wish to start a new discussion based on a closed thread, you can always reference it by including a link to it.

    Lastly, there is also a minor bug on the forum where under certain cases the "lock" icon is mistakenly displayed on the thread lists. If a thread is actually locked, instead of a "reply to thread" button in the thread you would see "thread closed" button instead.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

  14. #14
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does not allow us to provide the links in our posts....

  15. #15
    SitePoint Member reinvaldez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, the dull color of this forum is quite troubling my eyes. Plain but lack spices. *Just my thought only*
    Cheap sports tickets brought to you by Hinampang
    The power of LOVE

  16. #16
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,023
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myty View Post
    The Forums general structure is outdated.

    I also would like to see the updated Forums structure. Javascript no longer ties only with jQuery, JS landscape changed drastically and both SPF and SP seem too miss the early start, like with RWD, or NoSQL, which is nowhere to be found. I myself tried PHP, Python, Ruby, FreePascal,Golang, Rust before decided that now it's time to take JS more seriously.
    I guess this is a fair comment but we also build the structure around what people ask the most.

    Quote Originally Posted by myty View Post
    Discourage users to treat SPF as an after-school place

    Most quality users will be attracted by a forum that sits well into today. SPF seems a bit conservative and cozy right now. We need more in-depth quality posts about current trends and less "___ is not working, please do this so I don't have to" for insanely simple issues that generate too much noise.

    This should be discourage. Encourage posts one can enjoy reading and response, that are clarifying and challenging. I like helping people, but copy-paste effort is pretty pointless. Less of that will attract users that found an incentive to stay here for longer.
    I agree about the quality posts and about the current trends. I also will agree that people nowdays go for the quick answer and never show up again.

    Things have changed and we can't go back in time even if we wished.

    But I would not discourage newbies. We all started and learned first before becoming experts (well, I don't consider an expert myself, to be honest) and I would hate to see a newbie being treated badly only because he doesn't have that knowledge (yet)

    We're trying to figure out new ways of encouranging people to go deeper and share more, to enjoy the forum too and, yes, why not, to challenge them and to have more indepth discussions and any ideas that you may have about this will be welcome.

    Quote Originally Posted by myty View Post
    Discourage "badges" to sway matters they are less privy to than they think they are

    New comers may actually be experienced people. The ability moderators have to impose their opinion on tech stuff based on their administrative position is hurting these users responses. What I mean is that a badge and a big post number may wrongly be looked at as actual experience and knowledge, no matter the topic. There are limits to be recognized and humility to be exercised by everyone, not "badges" alone.
    I may be blind to my own faults but I don't think that we (and in this case I believe that I can speak in the name of other members of the staff) impose anything. We, as anyone else, have an opinion and debate and learn as any regular member. Some know lots, some members with no badge know even more.

    We are aware that as a staff member you may be looked up as an authority so, in general, we're quite careful to say what we are certain that's true.

    Of course, we do mistakes! And I do agree with you that we all have to be humble and realize that there's someone out there that knows more than you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by myty View Post
    I remember a couple of times when "badges" just group-cornered topics and prevented advancing technologies to be taken seriously. I can still remember how RWD was dismissed by the power of groups of mods only a couple of years back. And now, a little late, it's all over SP. That's unfortunate, and "badges" should exercise restrain.
    I assume that when you say RWD was dismissed, you mean that a specific forum about RWD was dismissed. Am I right?

    If that's the case, we normally "dismiss" the creation of a new forum because:

    a) there are not enough number of questions about that topic to justify it

    b) and/or there are not enough people to provide quality answers and that have deep knowledge about that topic among the staff and members (members that may become staff then)

    c) The number of subforums would be too high to be maintained and therefore we need to choose

  17. #17
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,023
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshulseo View Post
    It does not allow us to provide the links in our posts....
    You can use as many links as you want. What you can't do is to promote yourself

    Self-promotion doesn't help anyone (not even you because the value of any link will be deluted with the huge number of links per page that you can find a forum) and it is a call for spammers to post silly stuff just to get the link there (or even to expose the signature)

    So you can't link to your site... with a few exceptions: when it is really necessary (you're asking for help and you can't post the code or it would be too long to make it worth it) or when you're asking for a review. If there's a really good reason, then you can link to your site.

    If the link is not necessary for the topic, then it is removed

  18. #18
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    We are aware that as a staff member you may be looked up as an authority so, in general, we're quite careful to say what we are certain that's true.

    [...]

    I assume that when you say RWD was dismissed, you mean that a specific forum about RWD was dismissed. Am I right?

    If that's the case, we normally "dismiss" the creation of a new forum because:

    a) there are not enough number of questions about that topic to justify it

    b) and/or there are not enough people to provide quality answers and that have deep knowledge about that topic among the staff and members (members that may become staff then)

    c) The number of subforums would be too high to be maintained and therefore we need to choose
    That's a prototypical sway display Talking about careful to say what you are *certain* it's true. Anyway:

    a) I didn't want a RWD specific forum.

    b) I meant mentors here were not quite taken with the RWD concept and they showed it by *aggressively* dismissing RWD as a concept.

  19. #19
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,023
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myty View Post
    That's a prototypical sway display Talking about careful to say what you are *certain* it's true.
    Maybe. But sometimes prototypes works!

    Quote Originally Posted by myty View Post
    b) I meant mentors here were not quite taken with the RWD concept and they showed it by *aggressively* dismissing RWD as a concept.
    Not sure what you mean about this. Many of us are interested (if not passionate) about usability and accessibility and that means RWD since a site needs to usable and accessible in any screen.

    Do you mean that our examples are not appropriate? That we go for fixed layouts and px measurements?

  20. #20
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Carlsbad, California, United States
    Posts
    3,618
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not much. Prob just update your tapatalk software. Doesn't work anymore. My tapatalk works on my forum so it must just need a update. Yours fails to refresh. Still looking at 50 day old topics.

  21. #21
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    892
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    ...we go for fixed layouts and px measurements?
    I mean half-understandings like the one above that led to arguments where a "lesser" forumer would be looked at suspiciously and assumed to be wrong...

    Because it doesn't matter if you use fixed layouts or px measurements, RWD is not about that, switching to fluid or relative values, you can RWD with fixed and px. And the list is a little longer, of all the things one had to fight around badges, when otherwise a little more acceptance and openness to new would've gone a long way.

    And if you're just fishing with that "fixed" and "px" then consider me hooked

  22. #22
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,023
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myty View Post
    I mean half-understandings like the one above that led to arguments where a "lesser" forumer would be looked at suspiciously and assumed to be wrong...

    Because it doesn't matter if you use fixed layouts or px measurements, RWD is not about that, switching to fluid or relative values, you can RWD with fixed and px. And the list is a little longer, of all the things one had to fight around badges, when otherwise a little more acceptance and openness to new would've gone a long way.

    And if you're just fishing with that "fixed" and "px" then consider me hooked
    So I got you hooked! That's great!

    Just kidding. I didn't think about fishing or anything. It is that I have the habit of creating fluid layouts instead of fixed and I do (personally) associate RWD with as fluid as possible. But you're right. RWD is not about fluid or fixed. You can have a fixed layout and still be responsive.

    I can see how a habit of mine can be create a confusion while explaining the concept even if I know the difference.

    What can I say? I'm not perfect (yet )

  23. #23
    Community Advisor ULTiMATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,158
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myty View Post
    The Forums general structure is outdated.

    I also would like to see the updated Forums structure. Javascript no longer ties only with jQuery, JS landscape changed drastically and both SPF and SP seem too miss the early start, like with RWD, or NoSQL, which is nowhere to be found. I myself tried PHP, Python, Ruby, FreePascal,Golang, Rust before decided that now it's time to take JS more seriously.
    I came here to post this, and am glad that someone else has raised this.

    The descriptions for most of the programming forums are seriously outdated. The fact that we call Classic ASP a viable platform and .NET a next-generation platform is laughable in itself, considering how mature the .NET framework is.

    However, as much as I'd love to see the forums ditching the importance of WordPress and embracing the likes of Python, Ruby, Go, Clojure, Scala, and co, it would be stupid to create a forum without at least one user that is able to help with these problems.

    At the moment, Perl and Python are (for some bizarre reason) in the same forum. We get a few posts by users needing help with Python, but without people that know the language well it would turn into a graveyard.

    What I'd like to see is a form of intent, for a new development forum. If the users want to see a new Python forum, at least five users (including a member of staff) should commit to being there to help with Python related issues, and should commit themselves to spending at least some time a week in the forum to at least post.

    It's a catch 22, I guess. The forums won't change because the desire to talk modern languages isn't there, but the forums no longer reflect the realities of modern development,. and it runs the risk of not being fit-for-purpose.

  24. #24
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,312
    Mentioned
    877 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    The descriptions for most of the programming forums are seriously outdated. The fact that we call Classic ASP a viable platform and .NET a next-generation platform is laughable in itself, considering how mature the .NET framework is.
    Start a thread in the staff lounge and we'll update them. Easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    What I'd like to see is a form of intent, for a new development forum. If the users want to see a new Python forum, at least five users (including a member of staff) should commit to being there to help with Python related issues, and should commit themselves to spending at least some time a week in the forum to at least post.
    Under those circumstances I'd totally be up for creating a new sub-forum. But as you say, if there is no one to answer questions (or even ask them, in lots of cases) it's not worth setting up a whole lot of new sub-forums.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •