SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please provide comments on my probability/statistics website

I would like to receive comments on my website, a digital textbook on probability theory and statistics.
    In particular, I would like to know whether:

- there are obvious flaws in the design of the homepage and of the inner pages (things that feel out of place, inappropriate use of colors, fonts and other design elements);
    - there are usability problems;
    - there are things that could be improved SEOwise;

Also, if anybody is an expert is statistics, comments on the content would be highly appreciated.

The website is at http://www.statlect.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the sake of user friendliness, replace the word index on the navigation with 'Homepage'
    Also you seem to have stuffed a lot of links in the footer. Important links such as 'about statlect' and 'contacts' should join the links in the navigation up top
    The text on the very top: "Statlect The Digital Textbook" is assumed to be the logo so make it a hotspot in that if someone was to click on it, they would be sent to the homepage.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello. I think you should add more mandatory things to the menu bar. Also, dont be afraid to play around with the font colors, it looks too basic with the same colors all over the page. Maybe try to replace these clips with some interesting images that are related with the topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was simple blog. I think you should place more in menu bar. Decorate your web more attractive.

Just my idea.
    Good luck!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site design is a perfect contrast between the subject (statistics) and the site's appearance. If I'm going to work on math problems online, the last thing I want is, bling, distraction, eye-candy. I think there's a little too much space at the bottom, but now I'm second guessing that because the space adds to the site's calm, no rush look. If I needed to know statistics, I'd stay on your site. If people want bling on a site like this, you might want to list careers that make use of statistics and what they pay. Maybe another page on areas of daily life that are made possible by statistics.

Nice work !!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's generally good to have a logo in place in the header of your web site so your users can remember and relate back to your site... plus it makes the site more appealing (design wise).

As far as usability, you could add more links in the main menu... currently you only have "Index" as the option in the main navigation (nothing else)... and in the footer you have a ton of links... try to balance it out. Focus on putting this most important links in your main navigation. Also it might be worth considering have a side bar on the web site for tangentially related contents.

The seo doesn't seem too bad, you could work on creating more meta tags in the head of the document like description and keywords... and look for more in depth seo techniques online... you have the bare basics in there