SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has not been my month for internet stuff. A long list of unexpected challenges and I feel like I am making no progress.

My latest problem is that some pieces of e-mail (randomly) are taking up to two days to reach me! I was going to blame it on everyone.net, but it happens even to mail not going through there. My examination of the e-mail headers seems to point to two seperate slowdowns. Is there any reason NOT to post my full e-mail headers in a public forum when seeking assistance... ie.: is there any "sensitive" info in there I shouldn'e publicly expose?
    Ted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that weird? Sometimes it seems like stuff takes forever. I haven't ever been able to narrow down the problem. I hope things improve for you.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe there is anything sensitive that you have to worry about (but don't hold me responsible if there is ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once asked for help in a forum and posted an email error message. Less than two months later, someone had used my account to send thousands of emails to AOL members. I got about 350 return mails. Of course, we plugged the security hole, but I sure got burned. It might have happened anyhow, but I'm a little more cautious now.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that my be, but it was caused by lack of security most likely. If your security is up to snuff, then it should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was definitely a security hole. I just gave advertising about it by posting that I was having a problem.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Ted
    It has not been my month for internet stuff. A long list of unexpected challenges and I feel like I am making no progress.

My latest problem is that some pieces of e-mail (randomly) are taking up to two days to reach me! I was going to blame it on everyone.net, but it happens even to mail not going through there. My examination of the e-mail headers seems to point to two seperate slowdowns. Is there any reason NOT to post my full e-mail headers in a public forum when seeking assistance... ie.: is there any "sensitive" info in there I shouldn'e publicly expose?
    Hey, me, too! Only difference is I use BigMailBox to forward all my e-mail to my local ISP. Sometimes it clogs up and takes a while to get to me, and even worse, sometimes, for some reason, I get re-repeats of e-mails from weeks ago. Strange things happen...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well based on what Jim said, I guess its best not to post the headers.
    Sometimes it clogs up and takes a while to get to me, and even worse, sometimes, for some reason, I get re-repeats of e-mails from weeks ago
    That started happening to me today! (To make matters worse.) Argh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Werehere problably knows a lot more about it than I do. I was just relating what happened to me. If you have a good secure email server, werehere is probably right. My experience just made me a little paranoid. They hit every email account I had on the server and left all the others on the server alone. That's why I figured it was someone who knew me from a forum. It did teach me a lesson and helped to improve my server security, but it was still a shock and a bummer.
    Jim Lewis
    FrappyDoo Forums