SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 145
  1. #1
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,499
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)

    Do you work from home?

    I was talking with friends in the weekend about the pros and cons of working from home. I only head to the office once every 6 weeks (because it's in another country) and I love the flexibility that working from home gives me. My boyfriend on the other hand, finds it really hard. He likes to have people around to bounce ideas off. He goes to a co-working space one day a week, but even that doesn't really satisfy in the same way that working on a project with other people around you does. Do you guys work from home?

  2. #2
    Avid Logophile silver trophy
    ParkinT's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,329
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I always cherish the [rare] opportunities that arise for me to telecommute. My work location is 70 miles from my home. But much of the work I do - for the US Air Force - must take place in a classified environment.
    So, only when I am working on a special project or preparing a new Developer Course to teach remotely am I afforded the flexibility.

    Daily, I drive 2+ hours to work (and then home again).
    Last edited by ParkinT; Oct 13, 2013 at 20:40. Reason: I would welcome any offers to work remotely
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)


    Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

  3. #3
    latestrecruitmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    india
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also doing my blogs work at my home. This is my side business.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mikl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    1,541
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worked from home for the last 30 years. For me, the most difficult aspects are:

    (i) Convincing friends that, just because I am at home, it doesn't mean I'm not working;

    (ii) Convincing clients that, just because I am at home, it doesn't mean I am working;

    (iii) Forcing myself to get some exercise and fresh air every day.

    I eventually solved (i) and (ii) by getting separate phone numbers and email addresses for business and personal use.

    I'm still working on (iii).

    Mike

  5. #5
    Just Blow It bronze trophy
    DaveMaxwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    7,251
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    I've worked from home for the last 30 years. For me, the most difficult aspects are:

    (i) Convincing friends that, just because I am at home, it doesn't mean I'm not working;

    (ii) Convincing clients that, just because I am at home, it doesn't mean I am working;

    (iii) Forcing myself to get some exercise and fresh air every day.

    I eventually solved (i) and (ii) by getting separate phone numbers and email addresses for business and personal use.

    I'm still working on (iii).

    Mike
    Yup. I'm the same. Especially #1 & #2. And neither are intentional, just a perception.

    I find I can work from home VERY effectively a day at a time, then there's a decreasing return on investment.
    Dave Maxwell - Manage Your Site Team Leader
    My favorite YouTube Video! | Star Wars, Dr Suess Style

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    India
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I'm doing side business from the home as data entry operator.

  7. #7
    Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Pullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,879
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I do and I don't.

    When I'm doing web development work or such like then I work from my office at home.
    However, I also have a job as a network admin at the local uni and I teach English to some German engineers, both of which force me to leave the house and speak to people.

    I much prefer working from home as I can choose my own hours (within reason) and I find I can organise myself much better (and am consequently more productive).
    I also go running quite often and am a member of a gym, so I don't find lack of exercise to be a problem.
    What is a problem, however, is answering questions on SitePoint when I am meant to be working

  8. #8
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,499
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkinT View Post
    Daily, I drive 2+ hours to work (and then home again).
    Ouch! My commute is a 4 hour flight, hence the monthly visits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullo View Post
    What is a problem, however, is answering questions on SitePoint when I am meant to be working
    Haha, I know what you mean. I used to have the same problem, until they put me on the payroll!

  9. #9
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    4,810
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - been working from home for about 10 years now. Still go an meet clients though - which is nice. Exercise uber important when you're largely desk bound - just got back from a swim to break up the day Haven't been on SP for some time, so 'elli old faces
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

  10. #10
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,178
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    I've worked from home for the last 30 years. For me, the most difficult aspects are:

    (i) Convincing friends that, just because I am at home, it doesn't mean I'm not working;

    (ii) Convincing clients that, just because I am at home, it doesn't mean I am working;

    (iii) Forcing myself to get some exercise and fresh air every day.

    I eventually solved (i) and (ii) by getting separate phone numbers and email addresses for business and personal use.

    I'm still working on (iii).

    Mike
    Absolutely.

    I've worked from home (and I still do apart from my office work, that's why I have so little time) and I had the same problem and more... mainly is trying to organize myself and keep a routine.

    Basically, it seems that everybody thinks (and that included me ) that you can change your schedule because you have certain flexibility. But that's not true.

    As I said, I'm guilty of that too even to myself... especially when I forgot to do the shopping (it happens to me from time to time. Surprising, I know, but true. And when I find that I have nothing for lunch in the fridge I gotta go and run to buy some stuff)

  11. #11
    SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    317
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work from home too; the hardest thing for me is concentration. I can be working for a good solid hour and then the next hour gets messed up because I keep flicking through youtube videos or reading some interesting article on the web lol.

  12. #12
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also been working from home for the last 5 years. It works great for me because I love the flexibility it gives me.

    Flexible work hours is such a huge advantage but it could also be a disadvantage. The moment I get so caught up about having that privilege, the more I tend to slack, be lazy and unproductive.

    Discipline is the key. Lots of it. There are also a lot of tools to recreate the "office" environment. So, no worries about not getting to interact with people (though not personally all the time).

    Continuing on your discussion about the pros and cons of working from home, here are some advantages of working with a virtual team: http://www.staff.com/blog/10-advanta...virtual-teams/

    I'm sure those who have been telecommuting or part of virtual teams have experienced at least one or two of those in the list.

  13. #13
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,499
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH View Post
    Haven't been on SP for some time, so 'elli old faces
    Hardy! It's great to see you. What brings you back round these parts?

  14. #14
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    4,810
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Sarah! Getting all serious about work again. Just bagged a nice pad in Thailand that's punching above my weight - time to stop backpack development and do some proper dev

    This place has always got the creative juices flowing, so to speak. Loving the new forum layout btw - very slick
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

  15. #15
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,178
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH View Post
    Haven't been on SP for some time, so 'elli old faces
    I just seen who posted this! Long time no see... and glad that you still remember this place

    Looks like you're having a great time, though

  16. #16
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    4,810
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't complain - life pretty good at the moment! Even loving my work environment Good to see there are still some old faces around, look forward to meeting the new ones as well
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

  17. #17
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the good discussions about working from home,looks like everybody is having a great time.Nowadays part time jobs are also giving the best benefits and many people are involved in this types of work and earning a lot.

  18. #18
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Working from Home needs High Dedication and self motivation hence you can work with same discipline.

  19. #19
    phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3,626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do I go into an office or work someone else? No.
    Do I visit clients on a regular schedule outside of my home? Heck Yes. I don't like staying at home too long, and like getting out. It's healthier.

  20. #20
    The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Paul O'B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hampshire UK
    Posts
    40,281
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH View Post
    Can't complain - life pretty good at the moment! Even loving my work environment Good to see there are still some old faces around, look forward to meeting the new ones as well
    Good to see you back

  21. #21
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,499
    Mentioned
    943 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOriginalH View Post
    Loving the new forum layout btw - very slick
    Thanks. We're pretty stoked with it as well.

    Man, it sounds like you live the good life! Jealous.

  22. #22
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i work from home:
    1. I work on freelance jobs.
    2. I write articles for my blog.

  23. #23
    SitePoint Member dumitrumidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (iii) is always the most difficult part for everyone
    Free Keyword Rank Tracking
    To increase your SERP in Google
    Buy Quality Backlinks from AllSocialServices.com

  24. #24
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I do. I wouldn't trade my independence for nothing

  25. #25
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I do blog posting - I need a good writers to my blogs.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •