User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face TeknoAXE Royalty Free Music

http://www.teknoaxe.com

Hello everyone! In March, I posted my website on this forum for review. You all had very good constructive criticisms about it, and over the last few months I've been making improvements to the site. I figure that although the basic functionality of the site is essentially the same, there enough changes to user features to warrant another critique.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purpose of TeknoAXE.com
    -- To Aggregate and Distribute royalty free music like imcompetech.com aggregates and distributes royalty free music from Kevin MacLeod.
    -- To foster creative communities outside of YouTube.
    -- To provide a more direct connection between me, TeknoAXE, and my users.

Major points of traffic
    -- http://teknoaxe.com/Home.php While has not been where most users have entered into my site from, it's traffic is increasing immensely, so I feel this is where I would need the most advice about how to improve it.

-- http://teknoaxe.com/Link_Code_4.php?...=Drum_and_Bass is an example of the Link_Code_4.php page, which I added a week ago, but is already becoming the major distribution page on my website. It passes along the index to the link that the user clicked on plus the genre of music that the user came from to arrive here. The php code then fetches the correct music track, YouTube video and license information to populate main content. The aside takes the Genre that the user came from and populates an inline frame with everything in the genre in a scrollable list, or an inline version of the genre page that the user came from. It also sets an anchor to the track that the user is currently on and auto-scrolls the inline from to that exact point.

-- http://teknoaxe.com/Music_Code.php is basically where all the categories of genres are listed. This page's use has been diminished somewhat because the drop down menu provides links to simplified categories pages, divided into Techno, Rock, Orchestra, and Misc.

General Changes

-- A CSS dropdown menu has replaced the original toolbar, which has allowed for more content and better divisions of my content.
    -- A PHPBB3 forum has replaced the link to YouTube.com. The forum itself has been changed to mimic the appearance and functionality of the main site, even though the programming is totally different.
    -- Aesthetics-wise, a new banner has been added, and css backgrounds have been applied to tables, main-content and aside sections, and a more subdued background has replaced the older one.
    -- PHPBB3 elements have been adapted to some of the main site to show sections where users have posted videos in the forums, to show where I've posted news to my users, and also to provide a user-community toolbar at the top of the page above the banner.
    -- The site used to be programmed in Perl. Now it's programmed in PHP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to know your thoughts are on the site.

Thanks,

Matt

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Small change added : Now the footer is non-transparent with a gradient dark-gray scale background. I added a mirror image to the navbar below in links, only in list form and not a drop-down menu.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone? I hope I didn't scare anyone off with the technical stuff around the pages.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the name and what the site does. It serves a good purpose. I strongly believe you need to hire a designer and a UI engineer. I don't think people will take the site seriously. It feels very, very dated and that will give people the impression that it's not run by a company which means it is probably not reputable.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeder View Post
    I like the name and what the site does. It serves a good purpose. I strongly believe you need to hire a designer and a UI engineer. I don't think people will take the site seriously. It feels very, very dated and that will give people the impression that it's not run by a company which means it is probably not reputable.
    Are you referring to the usability of the site or the look of it. There are things that maybe I can do to condense some of the information on the site pages, I guess, such as making folder tabs contain different things, but in my opinion, the site navigation is easy to understand and almost impossible to get lost in.

If you're talking about JavaScript UI elements that are flashy, I'm taking a reservation to those, especially since I've had at least one JavaScript element on the site, and the Google analyzer kind of advised against it. Which is why my drop down menu is purely css.

Also, I appreciate your feedback, but I programmed this entire site, which includes some very heavy back end pho needed to manage the data being out on the site. I think I would be smart enough to pick up more up to date web practices myself rather than throw money at someone to do it for me.

No offense of course. But if you could be more specific then I could see if I could adjust the site to look more professional.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compare your site side by side with : http://freeplaymusic.com/

Designing and usability is not your strong suit. Perhaps you are a great programmer but you can't be everything. That site I linked has a very clear CTA and engages the user immediately

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm not a web design expert, I consider myself hopeless at all design related things. But I'll just give my honest opinion as a normal internet user.

It's impressive that you can code all of that, I wish I had php knowledge and all of the skills it takes to build that. In terms of functionality, it seems to run very fast and smoothly. But sorry to say that visually it looks bad. It does seem like a 90's Geocities amateur page to me. I'm using Chrome and running 1920 x 1080. The whole thing is very narrow and squashed looking, half-way between the center and the left of the page.

The links right at the top (now that I've noticed them) are too small and camouflage into the background a bit. The header/logo is very messy looking but maybe that's the point, I don't know, I'm not a huge techno fan. The navbar just under it works ok, maybe lose the underlining of the links? The tooltips also felt quite annoying popping up and virtually repeating what the link said.

I don't like the homepage first paragraph's font but again maybe that's just what your target audience like.

You've got some more text colour camouflage issues in the boxes.

The link that says "Firefox Users: Right-Click Here and Save" is a welcome relief, a good looking font. I'd try having more text in that font. The footer is messy. The "link to google's" part of the privacy policy is black like the background. The bullet points get lost in the black too. The donate button awkwardly sits in the bottom left corner of the container.

So it does look very unprofessional and outdated but some simple changes might be able to make a huge difference. Hope my feedback helped with some specifics.