SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are your rules about signatures?

Currenly we have no rules about the length of sigs and especially about how many images and what size of images... Recently some of the new members have set up a trend of large images in their signatures and others (those on dial up) are complaining. I was wondering what are the rules in other forums and how do you enforce them?
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never really been a fan of people putting images in their signatures - it distracts from posts and slows down page loading times for users.

Most boards seem to impose a sensible limit on sig - for example 5 lines or less, and I would recommend you doing something like this. For example come up with a set of guidlines stating the number of lines, images, text size etc.

If the forum software your using has these features then you can often set length limits, turn off images etc from the admin panel, otherwise its either a case of you and your moderators editing peoples sigs that don't fit the guidlines or, alternativley, you could edit the fourms code stop certain tags being used in sigs etc.
    Rick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My community's policy is no images and a five-line length -- that's very reasonable. A couple of my members have asked for images in their signatures, but that seems overkill with avatars. Either one or the other! I pretty much agree with what zoo said.

SitePoint Enthusiast DealExpert's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not allow any images besides smilies in the signatures. (+255 character limit)
    DealExpert.net - Forums
    Deals, Coupons, Freebies, Sweepstakes, and more.

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no rules yet, but I have every intention of ensuring a no-images policy. So far everything is fine, but take a look on almost any forum that allows images in signatures and you'll find people abusing the privilege. And once one person starts others will try and do bigger...

Personally, it's not a dial-up issue - signatures are essentially for people to promote their own sites - but it is a privilege, not a right. Links are fine, but if anyone wants to put a banner up in every thread advertising their site then they pay full commercial rates for doing so and only in desinated header/footer positions, never in signatures.

There is also the rule I should enforce that all affiliate advertising in signatures is strictly banned.
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually we do not allow commercial banners in signatures. Only a text link to a website is allowed. Our members LOVE their signatures and I don't think I should ban all graphics in the signature. Actually the subject has been brought up by the members themselves and right now we are working together on figuring out the restrictions. People are much more cooperative when being asked about these kind of issues. As they are the one who constitute the community, I think it's important to ask them as well.
    http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...threadid=20379
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronicles
    I have no rules yet, but I have every intention of ensuring a no-images policy. So far everything is fine, but take a look on almost any forum that allows images in signatures and you'll find people abusing the privilege. And once one person starts others will try and do bigger...
    Check http://www.macnn.com to see a great example of images in sigs done well. They've got very strict size guidelines which are enforced really well.

Amorya
    KickRSS - free web-based RSS aggregator.

SEO Link Building Master I, Brian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the most important point is to consider such matters at the start of community development. As has been indirectly pointed out, members can absolutely hate change - especially where it involves bringing in further restrictions.
    Internet Business Forums - free business help & advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a very small board. But I do request that sigs are less than 100 pixels tall. After requesting this, one user replaced their 600 pixel tall image with the following bright yellow text:
    See I used to have a banner here, but Sim "Banner Nazi" 9 thought it was too vertical... That hurts Sim... Deep down in the depths of my banner making heart...
    To be fair, he did have a very nice 600pixel tall image And if you hadn't noticed, the little activity that does happen in our forums is generally humorous
    EditingArchive.com - Gaming, Game Dev & Anime Community
    Streaming anime, games, blogs, files, news, forums, IRC chat, and more!
    Find me at irc.editingarchive.com / #Archive (Funny Quotes DB)

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I allow a 5 line signature. No images. Reasonable text sizes and link colors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my forum rule :

- no images allowed
    - no offensive words (especially to other members)
    - maximum 8 lines