SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one css, two css three how many is too many?

I'm in the process of re-designing a site I didn't originally design.

I'm trying to simplify the css files (8 different css files using 1800 different styles!)

There is a css sniffer to determine the users OS and Browser type.

So here's the question. Are people out there designing with multiple style sheets or settling on just one. Do you think it's necessary for every user to have the exact same visual experience? Should I consolidate the style sheets or keep all 8?

Rabble Rouser bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slandry
    Should I consolidate the style sheets or keep all 8?
    Consolidate as much as possible. Each additional stylesheet is an additional request to the server. Usually when I'm mid-development I'll have multiple stylesheets just to help stay organized (one for layout, one for colors, etc.), but before going live wrap it all into one.
    Quote Originally Posted by slandry
    Do you think it's necessary for every user to have the exact same visual experience?
    No, absolutely not. Accept and embrace the differences - they can be quite nice.

Former Staff Member silver trophy Adam P.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1800 styles?! Definitely consolidate it! Good luck!
    SPF Mentor/Advisor 2001-2003
    SPF Designer of the Year 2002
    SPF Graphic Designer of the Year 2003
    AdamPolselli.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_C
    Consolidate as much as possible. Each additional stylesheet is an additional request to the server. Usually when I'm mid-development I'll have multiple stylesheets just to help stay organized (one for layout, one for colors, etc.), but before going live wrap it all into one.

No, absolutely not. Accept and embrace the differences - they can be quite nice.
    Where I work we still have to go for near pixel perfection... and I have had no luck convincing other of anything else...
    But then I work for an advertising agency so maybe that is different

As for the stylesheets... usually one is plenty but I occassionally use multiple ones if I have very different sections to a site... (like different colour schemes or imagery)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea...I'm pretty much stuck coding for near pixel perfection where I work...it is a big pain. We also still support Netscape 4.7 (it's still included in the image we use for all of our machines). Most of the time, I end up with two stylesheets and use the @import hack to override the nescape 4.7 styles.