SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feedback for New CMS & its Website

Here's a link to a new content management and website creation platform. Please give feedback on the website and, if you'd like, the platform itself.

https://creationshare.com/

Thanks!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I'm always interested to find out about new things like this, but I usually find sites like this lacking—as here. For example, I really need to get a clear sense of what you are offering straight away. As a web designer, I'm wondering how this offering compares with other CMSes, for example, but the answers are not very clear.

For example, is it a hosted system, or one I can install on my own server? Is it free or does it cost? Why should I use it? (The features page starts with a paragraph on security. That's not the right place to start. I want to know how this thing works, how it compares to other systems etc.)

It seems the only way to find out is to "sign up". I can't speak for others, but the if signing up is the only way to learn about this system, I will never find out how it works. IMHO, it's just bad psychology. I'm vary wary of signing up to something that I don't understand. Chances are, i won't want to use the service, but will be pestered with email etc. for the rest of time.

So ... you need to provide a lot more information up front, and make a better case for why I would want to try this out.

Remember—you know all about this system and how it works, but I have no idea at all. Try to see your product from the point of view of someone who has absolutely no concept about your product, and probably a lot of misconceptions. It's time for some salesmanship.

EDIT: OK, I've just noticed that some of those questions are addressed further down the home page. It needs to be more obvious that this info is there. I missed it completely. I still stand by the comments above, all the same.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I'll fix the content very soon.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Cool. I hope my comments don't seem too harsh, BTW. I'm just giving an honest assessment of what goes through my mind as a potential customer looking at such an offering. I really want to be led by the had to a clear understanding of what's on offer without having to do too much work. I already have a CMS I use, and though I'm always interested in something better, I'm not going to work too hard to find it. Still, I'm always on the lookout for a platform I can use for client work. This might be just what I'm looking for, but I can't tell—and I really should know by now.

One thing I recommend is a video on the home page. It's nice to be able to watch a video overview of a CMS, rather than have to read through a lot of stuff. That static image on your home page header is a wasted opportunity, and a perfect place for a video.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. At the moment we're desperate for feedback of any kind, so feel free to say what you want, however you want to.

I'm updating the site now with a few re-arrangements and re-wordings. More fundamental change will come soon.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I like 'clean' sites so this one is great for me The 'view screenshots' is not active / functioning. Also the support page took a while to load but that might jsut be my connection. other than that it looks pretty decent, although it's not responsive...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've fixed this issue by combining the "view screenshot" text with the button and changing that text to a note about that feature's pricing. I also ran a benchmark for the support page. It took a fraction of a second more to load, probably because of the forums, but didn't take a "while" longer. As you said, it's probably either your connection or the server.

Also, I've made several major changes to the website, including adding a lot of screenshots.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It likely was my connection to the server. I'm happy you ran a bench test, well done. Hopefully no one else will need to wait a "while" for it to load.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have:

- Added a live demo feature to the homepage. This image mimics the appearance of a Mac Google Chrome browser, and when you click it, it will open an iframe to demo.creationshare.com, which is in installation of the software which is rigged to give guests (limited) admin access.

- The monitor on the homepage now transitions between screenshots.

- Screenshots are listed below the features on the homepage.

- More features added, and a bit of re-ordering.

I currently plan on:

- Adding an extra item or two to the top of "Features" with screenshots. Probably the demo too, maybe at the top, maybe at the bottom.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Some useful changes there. The demo is a clever idea, although I got stuck with it. I created a new page, chose to add some text, but then an editor opened that covered the text and I couldn't get rid of it.

I still recommend a video at the top of the home page instead of a slideshow, but perhaps in time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Some useful changes there. The demo is a clever idea, although I got stuck with it. I created a new page, chose to add some text, but then an editor opened that covered the text and I couldn't get rid of it.

I still recommend a video at the top of the home page instead of a slideshow, but perhaps in time.
    I'm not too good with a video editor, so when I implement that I'll either need to learn how to use one or find a professional. Thanks for the idea.

I think the bug you're refering to with an editor covering the text is a problem with TinyMCE's (the embedded editor) inline mode. A page refresh should fix this, although it's hard to do that in an iframe. I'll see if I can get that problem to go away, as I've run into it one or two times before as well.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt E View Post
    I'm not too good with a video editor, so when I implement that I'll either need to learn how to use one or find a professional. Thanks for the idea.
    For a commercial product, it's worth getting a professional, but all the same, there are some really nice, inexpensive screen capture programs that are great for this. For example, Screenflow for Mac is a great bit of software. You turn it on and it records what you are doing on screen. You can also record audio, but if you aren't confident with that, you could just make it visual and add in some nice background music. You could just record some of the features of the CMS in action, perhaps add in some titles etc. and you can make a really nice looking video very easily. I love it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased the software (Screenflow). Works very well. Do you have any suggestions for where I can find background music to use with reasonable licensing terms?

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Do you have any suggestions for where I can find background music to use with reasonable licensing terms?
    A great place to try is AudioJungle. They have thousands of tracks for this sort of thing, and they are very cheap.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you've suggested, I have created and uploaded a video and placed it inside the monitor on the homepage.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Wow, you are fast. I do think this improves the site a lot. The transitions are a little fast for me, so personally, I'd make it a little longer and give people more of a chance to see what's going on. Also, the music cuts out a bit abruptly. You can easily fade it out at the end, or sometimes I fade it in at the start and time the music to end cleanly at the end of the video.

All the same, nice effort. for inspiration, I sometimes look at the vids of others. They do set the bar high, but still ...

Here are a few I like by Goodsie:

Their current one is here — Goodsie (although their previous videos were better IMHO)

EDIT: also, using YouTube, I'd suggest you disable the option to see other videos at the end of the video.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt.

I like your website.

I would replace the email address with a contact form page though to avoid getting any spam in my inbox.
    I would also add a link to the logo that takes me back to the homepage (it's usually the first thing I try).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice site , simple and clean

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the music cuts out a bit abruptly
    Fixed.

I would replace the email address with a contact form page though to avoid getting any spam in my inbox.
    I already get plenty of this, although SpamAssasain takes care of it for me.

I would also add a link to the logo that takes me back to the homepage
    Done.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really slick site, I love the anonymous demo. Why don't you allow people the ability to login with Facebook but you allow AIM?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is mostly due to technology. The login system uses OpenID as its main method, which means that the three top OpenID providers are supported. Facebook and Twitter use different technologies, which my CMS does not support yet. OpenID has received priority because Facebook requires App IDs, which cannot (as I understand it) be created programmatically. I don't want every website owner to have to go through the hassle of creating their own Facebook app ID, which is why OpenID is the default and Facebook support will be added later.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is mostly due to technology. The login system uses OpenID as its main method, which means that the three top OpenID providers are supported. Facebook and Twitter use different technologies, which my CMS does not support yet. OpenID has received priority because Facebook requires App IDs, which cannot (as I understand it) be created programmatically. I don't want every website owner to have to go through the hassle of creating their own Facebook app ID, which is why OpenID is the default and Facebook support will be added later.
    I don't think that is entirely true. You would need an appid (setup an application under the CMS fanpage) and then just follow these instructions: https://developers.facebook.com/docs...g-started-web/

I think it's necessary. I bet over 90% of your visitors have FB but not AIM, etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeder View Post
    I don't think that is entirely true. You would need an appid (setup an application under the CMS fanpage) and then just follow these instructions: https://developers.facebook.com/docs...g-started-web/

I think it's necessary. I bet over 90% of your visitors have FB but not AIM, etc.
    That would allow people to authenticate to creationshare.com, but not yoursite.creationlaunch.com, because I do not want to disclose the private key. I imagine only about 5% will use AOL, as opposed to google/gmail, but the design calls for three providers, and AOL is the third most popular openID provider.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its very interesting platform to create a website and its hosting I like it

PInk Zebra Designs

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool good

very nice, i think best to add graphics work history about photo shop and illastetor work history
    Last edited by sharmin9294; Oct 23, 2013 at 01:44. Reason: false