SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to run a JS function on a content element when the page is loaded?

I've written a JavaScript function which does some stuff to the content of another element. For debugging I ran it from onclick, for example:

Code:
     <span onclick="xyz(this)">abc</span>
    Once it was working, I wanted to call it when the page finished loading:

Code:
     <span onload="xyz(this)">abc<span>
    Surprise! It did nothing. The function was never called.

I looked up onload and found that it's supported by <body>, <frame>, <script>, and a few other tags, but not by <span>.

That kind of makes sense to me, but... now what? Content tags like <span> don't seem to have any event that is fired when a page is loaded. How can I get that result?

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hey Orthoducks,

If you want some JS to run once the page has finished loading, just put it in a script tag before the closing </body> tag, like this:

HTML Code:
            <script src="js/myscript.js"></script>
            <script>xyz();</script>
        </body>
    </html>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for trying to answer my question, but it's not clear to me how that would work. If I put the function call in open code in a <script> block, it's no longer in the element that the function is supposed to operate on, and xyz(this) becomes meaningless.

I could make the code work by changing the argument from this to something like document.getElementById("Item_27"), where a bunch of elements in the page are labeled id="Item_1", id="Item_2",... id="Item_27",... but that would a very ugly (and clumsy, and error-prone) solution!

SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orthoducks View Post
    I could make the code work by changing the argument from this to something like document.getElementById("Item_27"), where a bunch of elements in the page are labeled id="Item_1", id="Item_2",... id="Item_27",... but that would a very ugly (and clumsy, and error-prone) solution!
    What does your code do to the <span> elements? One option would be to grab a reference to the containing element and then loop over the children, but this only works if all the <span>'s are together in the page. Another option would be to add a class to all the target elements to allow you to select them. Either way, it's preferable to avoid attaching event handlers directly in your HTML.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The purpose of the code is to resolve references to items in a numbered list; that is to replace a placeholder with the number of a designated item.

What I ended up doing is a lot like what you suggested. The reference now looks like this:

Code:
    If the user is already defined, go to step <span class="xref">UserDefined</span>.
    To define the cross-reference target:

Code:
    <li id="UserDefined">...</li>
    At the end of the body:

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript"> resolveXrefs(); </script>
    I didn't want to have the extra bit of JavaScript stuck at the end of the body, but it makes the cross-references simpler.