SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duplicate Content vs Original Content

We are a distributor of medical and dental equipment. As such, a lot of our content (for example, product descriptions) is based on information we get from our manufacturers. I'm sure other distributors of medical and dental equipment do the same thing.

Will we punished by the search engines for having duplicate content? If so, to what extent do we have to transform information we get from manufacturers so that it is not considered duplicate content?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Last I knew, Matt Cutts said that Google does ~not~ punish duplicate content.
    Though I guess if a site doesn't have good SERP visibility it might feel like it.

Any way, I wouldn't focus on "transforming the information you get", but rather, concentrate on making the best content you can that is currently not the "lot of your content".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of posting Duplicate Content, I would suggest you to sort out those contents and edit it little bit to make it look different from the main source content.
    Convert your Ideas to Application
    UK Web Development | SEO Guru

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, whenever you post duplicate content at internet and it crawls by Google and than it index by Google than Google find it scrappy or duplicate content than it penalized you for doing this thing.

So, it is very bad to post duplicate content for your site and it harmful for your site.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VishalBhatt123 View Post
    Yes, whenever you post duplicate content at internet and it crawls by Google and than it index by Google than Google find it scrappy or duplicate content than it penalized you for doing this thing.

So, it is very bad to post duplicate content for your site and it harmful for your site.
    You can substantiate this with a reliable (i.e. Google or Matt Cutts) citation?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If duplicate content is used when crawling is done then google treated it as a spam..
    so dont do duplicate content, Going with unique content is good for the site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to edit the post before you publish on yours because it might push you back on SERP for duplicate content

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Mittineague says, it isn't so much that you get penalised for having duplicate content – Google can usually tell the difference between legitimate reuse of source content (such as product decriptions) and scraped or stolen content. The problem is that it then has a dozen, maybe a hundred, pages that all look the same to choose from when people go searching for that kind of information. And out of all of those, why should they pick yours? That's where yo0u need to do something extra, something to differentiate your site from all the other clones, to give Google a good reason for putting yours above all the others in the search results.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit your main content submit after google crawling you may be out of the penalized. Hope it is useful for you. Always create unique content for every products.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there is a percentage for duplicate content for example you can add the necessary information and also it is necessary to add other information to avoid falling into the duplicate content

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to edit the content and next time create unique and quality content to get free from Google search engine punish.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google didn't like duplicate content. So I will advise you to write unique content for your site and make it interesting for people to read. A fresh and quality content always gets a good reputation in search engine and also liked by people, thereby increase traffic and sales for the website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no duplicate content penalty. Can anyone share a Matt's post or any Google statement about it?
    Free Keyword Rank Tracking
    To increase your SERP in Google
    Buy Quality Backlinks from AllSocialServices.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've benchmarked it twice... making a duplicate content website. I copied 70 articles and tried to get high in the SERP's... it costed met 2 weeks of marketing, before i got like 100 visitors a day......it lasted............3 days..... and i was gone and never came back... If you really want to test it, you should try it on a test domain yourself

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    @Mikl has a signature link to this post, which covers the issue very well, and which in turn includes a link to Google's Official blog.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I copy verbatim I wrap it in quotes. No idea if that helps or not. A product description would not matter any as it is what it is. Just like if you google the certain tv specs a 1000 results with the same info will come up. Google understands that you can't say it any differently. Anything else on your site should be from your own brain.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zenonia5hacks View Post
    If duplicate content is used when crawling is done then google treated it as a spam..
    so dont do duplicate content, Going with unique content is good for the site.
    If this is the truth, what about the news sites which have got same news published in each of them? Why they never gets punished for having Duplicate contents?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Westgate View Post
    If this is the truth, what about the news sites which have got same news published in each of them? Why they never gets punished for having Duplicate contents?
    There's a big difference between two sites having pages about the same topics, and two sites having pages with the same content. If the articles have been been written separately, but are about the same news, then they will not be duplicate content. If the same text is reproduced in different places, that is duplicate content.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best way to use duplicate content is to quote the actual website and leave the link where you collected it. Google sees that you created article that gives your opinion on the subject plus the opinion of the website cited. It is just small part of algorithm, but it makes so much sense.
    CUBE SCRIPTS MEDIA
    REAL ESTATE SCRIPT 2.0 | Software for Real Estate Agencies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't got any statistics gathered yet, but if you check the most websites on the internet, it are all resellers who just copy the product information from there supplier...Personally i just wouldn't do it because i don't know the effect, but it's really hard to rewrite product specs......:O

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    There's a big difference between two sites having pages about the same topics, and two sites having pages with the same content. If the articles have been been written separately, but are about the same news, then they will not be duplicate content. If the same text is reproduced in different places, that is duplicate content.
    I am actually talking about the reproduction of the same text. For example-

http://blog.fema.gov/2012/11/new-yor...-of-sandy.html - PR4
    http://social.dol.gov/blog/new-york-...wake-of-sandy/ - PR5

For sure they are not penalized. If any of them were penalized, surely they could not have such high PR. The same text is reproduced. Not a single dot has been changed.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Westgate View Post
    I am actually talking about the reproduction of the same text. For example-

http://blog.fema.gov/2012/11/new-yor...-of-sandy.html - PR4
    http://social.dol.gov/blog/new-york-...wake-of-sandy/ - PR5

For sure they are not penalized. If any of them were penalized, surely they could not have such high PR. The same text is reproduced. Not a single dot has been changed.
    For a start, I don't worry at all about PR. It's a fairly pointless metric that has been thoroughly marginalised in Google's algorithm.

For a second, there's no such thing as a duplicate content "penalty". There are penalties for plagiarism and breach of copyright, sure, but that's a different matter, and wouldn't apply to syndicated news stories like this. What people often refer to as the duplicate content penalty is really just the logical result of spreading yourself more thinly. If you have 1000 links coming into one article, you get all the googlejuice from those links. But if you have the same article in two different places, you're likely to split those 1000 links between the two of them, meaning that each page might only have 500 links, so it only has half the googlejuice flowing into it. You end up competing against yourself, rather than putting all your energy into beating the competition. If your site reputation and link profile is strong enough that you can keep ahead of the next site even despite that then you'll be OK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    For a start, I don't worry at all about PR. It's a fairly pointless metric that has been thoroughly marginalised in Google's algorithm.
    It is been over 6 months since the last PR update by Google. I totally agree that It is not a proper measurement anymore. You can use some third party generated signals like (Domain Authority) and (Page Authority) by Moz along with some metrics presented by MajesticSEO like (Citation Flow) and (Trust Flow).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Duplicate content does not mean that you can not even take the idea from other but it just means that whatever you do it should be in your own form.As you talking about medicine it is a different case because distributors share profit but content thief never share profit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if change little bit and use that content will be better
    use copyscape and detect duplicate content google has big eyes and eagle eyes you can't hide anything

<snip/>
    Last edited by Mittineague; Nov 14, 2013 at 03:46. Reason: Please wait until you get your signature