SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myty
    I've also posted an answer on SO: http://stackoverflow.com/a/18975740/1324929
    OHAI *me waves

Quote Originally Posted by Paul
    Thanks, I don't feel so bad now. I'm at that stage with js/jquery where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing
    Would you feel even better if you saw the monstrosities I construct out of jQuer on a daily basis? Very horrid and spaghetti.

mmmm, spaghetti....

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Would you feel even better if you saw the monstrosities I construct out of jQuer on a daily basis? Very horrid and spaghetti.
    lol - yes that helps

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OHAI Stomme, TYVM!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am back.

Sorry I am just a beginner.

On the other hand, I have installed you solution provided by myty, and it is great.

Just in the last moment I have found out that the regions highlight on hovering the list elements but not viceversa as in the Paul's script, and it was something essential as a way to locate countries both by hovering names and areas on the map.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cordially disagree, it's far from being something essential.

It's natural to locate on the map by highlighting, but locating by highlighting a link in a list, that's something I've not seen in the wild.

Like I said though, it's not something it can't be done, the reverse half of what I did is not complicated at all.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    but locating by highlighting a link in a list, that's something I've not seen in the wild.
    The reason I did it was to give people with language confusion additional help. Especially if someone decided countries or whatever they may be must be listed alphabetically for some reason.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Especially if someone decided countries or whatever they may be must be listed alphabetically for some reason.
    What's wrong with that? And what's language confusion?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea is to show a map and a list of countries.

Hovering the list, the regions would highlight or change their color. Ok so far.

But imagine people with a basic knowledge of geography, or someone fiddling with the map of Africa or South Asia, asking her/himself which will be this or that region.

It would be very interesting a map with such a feature. You hover the regions and the list element highlight to provide the name.

Certainly the application provides a label system, but given the list already on the map, it is better to use it that include other element (the labels) with means duplicate the country names.

But the way, it is not my idea, I have seen the effect somewhere.

Just that.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myty
    What's wrong with that?
    Nothing wrong with alphabetical, though for example countries in Dutch are in a different alphabetical order than countries in English, while the physical position of the country on the map doesn't change. A Dutch person may know they want Duitsland, but not know where Germany is on a map.
    And what's language confusion?
    As andresb mentioned. When people want to choose a country for something, some people know the WHERE but maybe not the spelling: a Russian speaker who knows geography can find Germany on the map, but not know where it is on the written list.

So I like my maps to react both ways: hover over the name, highlight the country. Hover over the country, highlight the name in the list. It basically allows the user to choose the method that works best for them, while also allowing them to see how they could use the other method.

My father-in-law thought my maps would be fun for his geography students, if I had made them larger and added factoids or interesting things or the name of the country in multiple languages or something. But I was making them for a simple geographical selector and never did anything more with them.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mentioned, on hover, a label appears and, If it's geography it knows, clicking on the map has the same effect with clicking the link.

And jVectorMap has these features: html-rich labels for markers and map regions, zooming in and out.