SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I would like to place error pages like the one on SitePoint for broken links - 404 on my site.

Is there somewhere I could find the code for this?? Is this a regular HTML page with a form on it??

Also, I cannot remember the questions which were asked when I happen to go by one of them. Would appreciate someone at SitePoint reminding me what the questions were and/or information requested on the error (broken link) page.

I also received a thankyou E-mail after the link was fixed. I thought that was pretty cool.

Thanks,

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy,

SitePoint does its 404 pages using .htaccess - that is, on Linux/Apache we use a .htaccess file to re-direct wrong links to the 'submit broken link' form. If you do a forum-wide search you'll find plenty of decent .htaccess documentation. On NT/2000 you can set it up using administrator privileges.

Hope this helps...
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by BC
    Howdy,

SitePoint does its 404 pages using .htaccess - that is, on Linux/Apache we use a .htaccess file to re-direct wrong links to the 'submit broken link' form. If you do a forum-wide search you'll find plenty of decent .htaccess documentation. On NT/2000 you can set it up using administrator privileges.

Hope this helps...
    Hi,

Thanks for responding.

Also, looking for the questions and or information requested which are asked on the SitePoint error page. I cannot remember them.

WP
    Webbing Along!!!

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again WP1,

Looking for the questions? Just do a deliberately wrong page! (e.g. click on this link and you'll find the form : http://www.sitepoint.com/about/history343.php3 )

How SitePoint does it is, we construct an ordinary HTML form with the questions, then add PHP code so that it 'captures' the wrong URL and the referrer. All this information is submitted to us and we can usually track the error. That said, the more info you provide to us the easier we'll track any broken links down *grin*

The form is then placed somewhere on sitepoint.com and we configure the .htaccess file to re-direct users to the broken link form if an error occurs while facilitating the capturing of the error.

And that was your daily lesson for today....
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and Thanks,

You may want to check out this file I located on HotScripts. It is a good file for newbies like me.

It is called "ErrorTools".

It uses the ".htaccess" file you mentioned. I am having a bit of a problem with this file but I posted it in the SERVER SIDE section of the forum.

Thanks again.

WP

Webbing Along!!!