User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who likes sheep?

Howdy y'all,

I'm looking for a few good reviewers to take a look at sheepguru.com.

Here's the problem that we're trying to solve:

Merchants frequently manipulate their prices for many reasons (they are in it for the money after all). They use sneaky tactics to make consumers feel like they're getting a deal, when in reality they are not. For example, retailers will frequently raise the price of a product before putting it on sale, just to make the consumer feel like they're getting a deal when they're not. This manipulation is especially noticeable around the holidays, when prices become extremely volatile. From Oct-Dec, prices can change by the minute, as all the retailers watch each other and change their prices in response to other merchants changes. This pricing movement makes it very difficult for anyone to have a real handle on how good a price really is. We're trying to prove that you can't trust online retailers to tell you when a price is "good" or "on sale", you need real world data to back a claim like that up.

Here's how we're solving it:

The Sheep Guru service is capable of providing close to real time price monitoring for many online merchants across millions of products. We compile this pricing data, analyze it, and provide our users with a report about how good a product's price is. At a glance, shoppers are able to quickly and easlily know if they are about to get a good deal or not, regardless of the marketing nonsense that surrounds a product/merchant.

We also offer tools to help people always get the best price like: price drop alerts, interactive charts (with individual merchant pricing trends and an overall trend), a statistical analysis of the historical pricing data that went into generating the price value score, price comparison between merchants, automatic tax calculation, coupons, reviews and the price breakdown detailing the factors going into the price.

We also just launched a new report for businesses or individuals that need to develop pricing strategies for products sold online. This is a filterable report that calculates the percent difference in price between merchants. Users can either create a list of products (with their own prices), or run the report as a retailer we already have in the system. You can take a look at this if you want (link is on the footer), but I am more interested in the consumer end of the service right now.

I'm looking for reviews on a few different pages. SheepGuru is a massive site, I'm trying to keep this to a bare minimum. I appreciate your patience.

Home Page:

1) Initial impression of the home page. At a glance, do you understand what the site does? If not, what is it missing?

2) Do you like the sheep, how do they make you feel?

3) How do you feel when looking at the home page? Does it make you feel excited, angry, relaxed, frantic, disoriented, etc?

4) What do you think about the placement of the links/controls? Can you find them easily, and do you understand what they are?

5) What could be added to the home page to make the purpose of the site more clear?

6) What could be added to the home page to make navigating the site easier?

==========================================================================================

Product Pages - I have listed a few product pages below that have varying scores.

Product Page with a great price
    Product Page with average price
    Another Product Page with an average price, but a good rating
    Product Page with a bad price

7) We want the user to be able to identify four main pieces of information: What the product is, how much is costs, if the price is a good value and how to buy it OR how to sign up for a price drop alert. When viewing the product pages, can you easily identify, and how long did it take you to identify, the above information?

8) Do you understand the price value indicator and associated text? Does it make sense to you? If it does not, what do you feel would make its purpose clearer?

9) Do you understand how to use the price breakdown? ie: Is it clear that the store selection box manipulates the price breakdown?

10) What are your thoughts about automatic sales tax calculation based on ip address? Currently, the site automatically calculates tax, and the zip code used can be changed by registered users.

11) What do you think about the price history chart? You can click the points on the best overall series to see additional details. (I have to write that on the page)

======================================================================================================

I think that's enough for now!

Thank you in advance for any feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (This may not be the best review, but these are a few of the things I thought about when I first went to your site.) Love the idea!

Initial impression is great colors, a tad bit confusing. I really like the idea, and I feel like you could go far with it. I think the front page could be simplified.
    Also I think you should have a slogan like "Don't be a sheep" or something to tie in with the sheep.

I think you should advertise on the homepage in big text or with a logo how many products you have like 1,000,000 MILLION PRODUCTS!
    Also you could add a screen shot that shows a comparison of a products price on your site vs a high price on another.

Also..

I feel like you should capitalize each word on the bold sentences just like the rest.

Smart Shopping
    We Track Them, Not You

Shop anonymously
    No Membership Required
    We don't collect your information

Back to school shopping

Coupons
    Historical Prices
    Price Drop Alerts
    Bottom Line Price Calculations

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Foxbeard,

Thank you for your feedback! I agree that the home page can be a tad bit confusing, all of the relevant information is currently below the fold. We'll be redesigning the home page soon, and we'll be taking your feedback into consideration.

We actually used to have some "sheepish" slogans floating around, but none of them have cought on yet. Also, in case you are curious, we are currently comparing about 11.5 million products at about 25 stores. As soon as I get a few more servers, I'll be able to increase those numbers significantly.

I would love to hear your thoughts about the product page/price value indicator!

Anyway, thank's for your feedback, it's appreciated

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not Baaa-d...
    (sorry, I couldn't resist)

First impression is good. I don't have time to write much now, but will later.

Quick question: How does this site make money? Do retailers pay you to have their products included in the selections?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all - What a brilliant idea! Love the concept. Now onto revising the website.

1) Initial impression of the home page. At a glance, do you understand what the site does? If not, what is it missing?
    In all honesty, first thing I noticed was your font choice - Comic Sans. Comic Sans is great for children’s products, party invitations and comic books, but I don't feel like it is working for the type of service you are offering. Secondly I noticed the three sheep . I definitely think you could refine some more the illustrations. They look child-like and unpolished.

2) Do you like the sheep, how do they make you feel?
    I do not understand the black sheep. That's usually associated with something negative, however, the quote seems to be a client testimonial (?). It's overall a mixed message you are conveying.
    Also the sheep distract (in a negative way) from the message of the website.

3) How do you feel when looking at the home page? Does it make you feel excited, angry, relaxed, frantic, disoriented, etc?
    Definitely disoriented.

4) What do you think about the placement of the links/controls? Can you find them easily, and do you understand what they are?
    The link placement is alright. Very easy to spot. However, the social media buttons clash with the design.

5) What could be added to the home page to make the purpose of the site more clear?
    Refine your "how it works sketches".
    Refine the sheep design, think about what you what message you want to convey to the customers.
    Delete some of the sheep
    The "Shop by category" design clashes with the cartoonish overall look of the website. I think it is a bit too dark and quite hard to find a specific category. Perhaps you could highlight the "most popular" categories and also offer some sort of filtering system.
    Make sure there is a logic to your font sizes. I couldn't tell at first what wasn't working exactly, but then I noticed your font sizes changes from small to large to medium to small and so on. You need to have a structure and a hierarchy here.

6) What could be added to the home page to make navigating the site easier?
    The navigation is alright. You just need to guide the user better.

Hope this helps and hope I didn't seem to harsh.