SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A free tool to check users' browsers (by me)

Hi, folks.

I'm sure all of you know this kind of situation very well.
    The website you've built doesn't display properly on customer's computer - and he has no idea what browser make of version he's using.
    And you need to guide him step by step on how to check these details for you.

I made a free tool for webmasters / web developers - to easily check users' browsing environment: http://yourbrowser.is/
    You need to register, set up your own subdomain (or your own domain if you like) and upload your logo.
    From now on when you need to test your customer's browser - you email him the URL with some additional variables to recognize him (for example: http://mybrand.yourbrowser.is/?custo...son=John%20Doe). He clicks and BANG! - you receive a report by email.

Such report includes:
    - Browser make & version
    - Operating system
    - Mobile device (if present)
    - Screen resolution, Viewport size and Color depth
    - JavaScript, Flash and Cookies availability
    - User IP address and Geo-location
    - Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Google login status
    - all the custom variables from the URL
    - full http headers.

I am aware there are similar tools out there - but I didn't like them, because they were missing some features or trying to make me pay for it.

Anyway - I made it, tested it and now it would be great if someone started using it (besides me).

Any feedback is welcome.
    I prefer opinions and suggestions.
    But if you really have to shout at me - feel free to do it.

P.S. If you like my tool, perhaps you could mention it on the Scripts & Online Services forum. I can't, because it would be self-promotion.

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Really clever idea.
    Thanks for sharing this with the broader community of Web Developers.

I am a big fan of "when you find a problem, don't complain about it, create a solution".

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its really amazing content all information are real such a really good work if you don't mind i have some suggestion you can also add Skype Lo-gin status and other things also which are more popular

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ParkinT, thank you for the nice words.

Priyanka,
    Quote Originally Posted by priyanka741 View Post
    Its really amazing content all information are real such a really good work if you don't mind i have some suggestion you can also add Skype Lo-gin status and other things also which are more popular
    Facebook, Google and Twitter are social login commonly used on many websites - so this information is relevant to webmasters.
    Skype is a different thing.
    But if you have any other suggestions - about these more popular things - please tell me more.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brilliant idea! although i think you need to concentrate on the design aspect a bit more then it would be great!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IceOnFiire View Post
    brilliant idea! although i think you need to concentrate on the design aspect a bit more then it would be great!
    Thanks... Bud did you even look at the website?

In my opinion:
    - design is not so important here (the data is)
    - the design is not so bad, is it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Yes i looked at the website, but you wanted your websites to be reviewed so i gave you a honest response, its just my opinion.

data does matter more in this case yes, but some people like to see a well designed site.

no offence meant.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IceOnFiire View Post
    Hi,
    Yes i looked at the website, but you wanted your websites to be reviewed so i gave you a honest response, its just my opinion.
    data does matter more in this case yes, but some people like to see a well designed site.
    no offence meant.
    No offence taken at all, but I'd like to know why you say the website is not well designed.

Flat design and responsive design are current top trends.
    The font is nice, all the spacing, proportions and colors are set accordingly to visual design rules.
    The logos are monochromatic to avoid color inconsistence.
    What's wrong?

What would you expect? Can you show me some example of a design that is good in your opinion?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your design concept looks amazing! I would highly reccomend using this site, and I'm amazed that no one has thought of this before. The site is easy to navigate, clear, and concise. That's perfect. Also, it's fluid, catchy, and the background photos blend in perfectly. Well done, my friend. This is something that i would use in the future.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi xaban,

Pretty neat idea, It seems like an invaluable tool for beta testers and other people requiring some sort of troubleshooting. Like you said before, there are a few other tools out there that are similar to yours, but none of them look as good You may want to check out this site: https://panopticlick.eff.org/ They do something called "browser fingerprinting", where they use data much like yours to determine the uniqueness of a users browser on the web.

They are able to determine a few extras from your site such as a full list of browser plugins, system fonts and flash super cookies. You may want to add the additional information to your report.

I don't know your longer term plans, but I feel that a basic reporting platform for your registered users could be useful. The reports could show aggregated results about the users that have given their browser information.

All in all, very clean and easy to understand. I especially like the comic-style square for "your website is down". The computer kind of reminds me of Hal.

=====================================================================================
    Part 2 - The account

My first impression, extremely confusing. There is no real clear indication of how I get it to work. In fact, I cannot get your site to show me my websites details like it did for your example page.

1) There is no dedicated url displayed on any of the member pages that points to brand.yourbrowser.is. I attempted to type it manually, but I don't think it displayed my brands page. If the subdomain is working, I am not able to see it since I have already sent my browsers information on your sample page. Your service should allow me to send duplicate information to a second domain, instead of being globally unique.

2) The "Generate Link" (/generate) page makes me think that I would have to generate a custom URL for every user that I wanted to use your service. In my opinion, this is completely unacceptable. I have no desire to set up hundreds or thousands of URL's for my users. I would prefer to have the ability to have the results sent back by IP address, OR by custom URL. That way I could just send users to your service OR I could send a specific user. If it already works like this, it is unclear.

3) I will never add a CNAME to my zone file pointing to your domain.

Hope this helps!

SitePoint Zealot internetSurfer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not afraid 2 give credit where credit is due.
    I like the layout and color scheme.
    The purpose of the site will get kudos for applying design and function together.
    Good job!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sheepguru,

This is the kind of feedback I was counting on.
    No, your insight even exceeded my expectations.
    Thank you very much!

Thank you for the link to panopticlick - very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepguru View Post
    1) There is no dedicated url displayed on any of the member pages that points to brand.yourbrowser.is. I attempted to type it manually, but I don't think it displayed my brands page. If the subdomain is working, I am not able to see it since I have already sent my browsers information on your sample page. Your service should allow me to send duplicate information to a second domain, instead of being globally unique.
    Did you configure your custom page (including sub-domain name) in the Settings?
    You need to enter your subdomain name - and then you will know the URL.

2) The "Generate Link" (/generate) page makes me think that I would have to generate a custom URL for every user that I wanted to use your service. In my opinion, this is completely unacceptable. I have no desire to set up hundreds or thousands of URL's for my users. I would prefer to have the ability to have the results sent back by IP address, OR by custom URL. That way I could just send users to your service OR I could send a specific user. If it already works like this, it is unclear.
    You can use your sub-domain address multiple times - but how would you recognize your projects and users then?
    When providing your users/customers with their test URLs, you can (and should) include some specific variables that will appear in the reports.
    You can add your variables manually or use the generator.

Examples:
    Code:
    http://mybrand.yourbrowser.is/?customer=CompanyOne&person=John%20Doe
    http://mybrand.yourbrowser.is/?project=Super%20Portal&testnumber=12
    3) I will never add a CNAME to my zone file pointing to your domain.
    I understand and respect that.
    But I believe some web agencies would prefer to use the tool in a sub-domain of their own domain.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi xaban,

I am able to type in the xxx.yourbrowser.is address and it does go to the correct landing page. I went back through the account settings, and I think I see where the confusion lies. This time around, I entered a logo in the account setting which made the landing page clearer. I think if you printed the company's name at the top of the page, it may initially be a little less confusing. Although, it may only be necessary if the company has not set the logo address.

After your explanation of the generated url's, I think I understand their purpose. You should write a more details on the generate page explaining that the url's can be used for setting uniquely identifying pieces of information that will be displayed in reports. The other confusing aspect of the generate page is that the generated url's point to my domain, not yours. I understand that I would probably set up some sort of rewrite condition that would redirect the user to your site, but there are no instructions about how to do that.

Unless I'm missing something else, shouldn't the generated url's also contain a url from mybrand.yourbrowser.is in addition to the mybrand url's?

That's a good point about the cnames, I can see how certain companies would use that to make url's easier to remember for their customers.

Two more thoughts about the account page:

1) When the logo is entered, it does not appear on the settings page.
    2) I still think there should be a link to mybrand.yourbrowser.is on the settings page.

Oh and I was able to recieve the report emails, right in the inbox.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheepguru,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions - I'm going to implement them.

I don't get one of your comments:

The other confusing aspect of the generate page is that the generated url's point to my domain, not yours. I understand that I would probably set up some sort of rewrite condition that would redirect the user to your site, but there are no instructions about how to do that.

Unless I'm missing something else, shouldn't the generated url's also contain a url from mybrand.yourbrowser.is in addition to the mybrand url's?
    The generator always produces URLs within your subdomain - they are ready to be sent to your customers to test their browsing environment.
    I don't know why would you need to set up any redirections.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Xaban,

Love the site! This is a genuinely useful idea and really well executed. Visually the homepage is excellent, really simple layout and the colour scheme works really well.

From a functional point of view, I should mention that I went through the registration process but when it told me to check my email inbox I didn't actually receive anything. Obviously I've checked the junk folder as suggested and it's not there either. Not sure if this is a problem at your server's end or if it's not filtering through to my account for some reason but thought it would be worth mentioning. I've definitely entered the correct email address as I tried to register again just in case and it said the username already existed.

I'm with Hotmail, in case that's of any relevance!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    screenshot.png

That's what I'm talking about. Those url's are not listing a subdomain, they're listing my domain with arguments. Clearly, that url would need some sort of redirection.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    screenshot.png

That's what I'm talking about. Those url's are not listing a subdomain, they're listing my domain with arguments. Clearly, that url would need some sort of redirection.
    I think you have entered "sheepguru.com" as your own domain you'd like to use instead of a subdomain.
    You told me you didn't want to create a CNAME record so you should have left this field empty.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Krabople,

Thank you for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by krabople View Post
    From a functional point of view, I should mention that I went through the registration process but when it told me to check my email inbox I didn't actually receive anything. Obviously I've checked the junk folder as suggested and it's not there either. Not sure if this is a problem at your server's end or if it's not filtering through to my account for some reason but thought it would be worth mentioning. I've definitely entered the correct email address as I tried to register again just in case and it said the username already existed.

I'm with Hotmail, in case that's of any relevance!
    I see email delivery is my main problem now - I need to work on it.

I can activate your account manually - please just send me a direct message with your email address.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only thing that I can see wrong with this script is that it doesn't actually check what browser and operating system is being used. It will probably get it right for those people who don't know what a browser is but as it relies entirely on a user enterable field it can easily get it completely wrong.

For example when I access the page using Opera 12 running on Windows XP it reports that I am running Chrome 95 on Mac OSX Mountainlion.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    The only thing that I can see wrong with this script is that it doesn't actually check what browser and operating system is being used. It will probably get it right for those people who don't know what a browser is but as it relies entirely on a user enterable field it can easily get it completely wrong.

For example when I access the page using Opera 12 running on Windows XP it reports that I am running Chrome 95 on Mac OSX Mountainlion.
    Come on...
    This is a tool for webmasters that need to check browsers used by their clients who don't even know how to check their browser version.
    Not for Evil Hackeurz that know how to alter their browser's UserAgent.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Xaban, have PM'd you with my email address

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the bad news, but there is a site that's been doing this for several years now, supportdetails.com.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moretea View Post
    Sorry for the bad news, but there is a site that's been doing this for several years now, supportdetails.com.
    It's not news for me.
    I'm not saying my website is unique. It's just better.
    For example, my website recognizes more data (social login status, geo-location, mobile device).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My apologies for not checking first! You did a good job!