User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C# Desktop Programming references

Hi.

I wish to learn how to program in C# for desktop applications. I don't want to do windows phone applications. I don't want to do Windows tablet applications, nor do i want to even program for windows 8 (yet).

However, a search for good books on programing in C# using forms in either WPF or Windows Forms yields nothing but books on how to program phones and games. I may do that later when I am better at using the Visual Studio Pro IDE, but for now, I'd just like some good books on how to code C# into a graphical application and how to go about doing it.

BTW....I have the foundational essentials of C#, but those were all console training books and videos. I want to move on to the next level.

Anyone have any good books/references?

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy Hall of Famer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm currently reading the book called C# illustrated 2012, it looks quite good for both beginners and intermediate level coders.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you "know" C#, then I've always found the best book to be C# in Depth by Jon Skeet.

However, if you need to ask how to write desktop tools in C# then I reckon C# in Depth might be a bit too advanced. If you think your C# skills are okay then the best advice I can give you is to just carry on with what you're doing and to just try and build something. With some creative Googling you'll be able to pick it up in no time.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hall of Famer View Post
    I'm currently reading the book called C# illustrated 2012, it looks quite good for both beginners and intermediate level coders.
    Thanks. I'll download the Kindle version and let you know how it works out!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    If you "know" C#, then I've always found the best book to be C# in Depth by Jon Skeet.

However, if you need to ask how to write desktop tools in C# then I reckon C# in Depth might be a bit too advanced. If you think your C# skills are okay then the best advice I can give you is to just carry on with what you're doing and to just try and build something. With some creative Googling you'll be able to pick it up in no time.
    I have done a little Java programing and as long as I'm doing C# as console programs or simply writing classes, I'm good. But whenever I try to do visually in Visual Studio, the 'code behind' view for some reason simply looks like Klingon to Me, only I understand Klingon. LOL

I"ll give your book a shot, but it doesn't seem to be offered electronically. So it will take a bit before I get it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
    I have done a little Java programing and as long as I'm doing C# as console programs or simply writing classes, I'm good. But whenever I try to do visually in Visual Studio, the 'code behind' view for some reason simply looks like Klingon to Me, only I understand Klingon. LOL

I"ll give your book a shot, but it doesn't seem to be offered electronically. So it will take a bit before I get it.

Thanks for the feedback!
    The code behind is just another C# file, but one that is attached to the calling file. For example, if you have a aspx page, your code behind will allow you to attach C# code to your ASP.NET page.

It sounds like your issue is more with ASP.NET than C#. While C# in Depth is great for learning C# well it does not teach ASP.NET. Luckily, it's quite simple, and is probably something you'll pick up with ease with a couple of projects. If you want to toy around with ASP.NET I recommend setting up a site with a CMS (I recommend Umbraco) and just try building something.

Regarding C# in Depth, it definitely comes as a PDF and in various eBook formats. I know because I have it in all available formats. Check the publishers website and you'll probably get it for cheaper as they regularly have deals on.