SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

die() or echo to handle if statement

Hi. I have been working on a survey all works great. Just wondering if I'm handing this the right way or not. After a code is entered and submitted I run it through a couple of checks. First is the code proper length (10 digits), is the code in the database and has this code been used. If the code passes all of these. I then start session and the survey can be completed. sample code below.
    PHP Code:
    if($rowCheck >= "1") {

$row mysql_fetch_array($query);

$status $row['status'];

$washcode $row['washCode'];
            }
            if(
    $status == "1"){
            die(
    '<div align="center"><h1>Error the code you have entered has already been used.</h1><form action="'$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'].'" method="POST">
        <tr>
            <th colspan="2">Please check your code and try again.<br />
         <input type="text" name="code" autocomplete="off"><br />
        <input type="submit" name="submitcode" value="Submit Code"></th>
        </tr>
    </form></div>'
    );

}
            else {

session_start();

$_SESSION['code'] = $code;

$_SESSION['redeemCode'] = $washcode;
            echo 
    '<div align="center"><b>Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. Please click the link below to begin.<br /><a href="visitdate.php"><button type="button">Next</button></a></b></div>';
            } 
    My main concern is that if the code does not pass this check I am currently using die(), and the rest of the page is not loaded leaving off the html footer and side nav. I am wanting to switch to echo''; to handle the error. Would this be alright? And can I get a little info on when it is best to use die(); instead of echo'';

I am working on converting all of my sql to mysqli when I started thinking about this.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, die() should be a rare sight in production code. It should be used only when the error is unrecoverable. Even then, for most cases you'll want to have a nice message with a full page, etc.
    - Robert

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by QMonkey View Post
    For me, die() should be a rare sight in production code. It should be used only when the error is unrecoverable. Even then, for most cases you'll want to have a nice message with a full page, etc.
    Thanks QMonkey. That's what I started thinking when I started going through the code tonight. Not sure why I was using die(). But I'll be changing them to echo tomorrow. Thanks again for your reply.

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    how about throwing exceptions?