SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HI all, please review site, all criticisms welcome and encouraged :)

Hey all,

I'm working on a site at the moment and I could really do with some feedback.

It's a work in progress at the moment...

Any links / tabs etc that do not work is because the page doesn't exist for them of they still have "#"'s instead of a link.
    I apologise for the advertising space, that is not my design decision.

I'm currently working on the sports page implementing a commenting system so if there's any issues there it's likely because I'm uploading or changing content.

Thanks for all and any help

site is located at www.steve-t-green.com - you should be redirected.

In addition to that (and this is a long shot) the guy I'm doing the work for has asked me to offer an 'opportunity' for completing this survey to help us improve the site further. I understand if you don't want to complete it, I probably wouldn't but I'd be hugely grateful if you did.
    http://kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersur...y222151&refer=

One last thing, the blog isn't meant to be there so please ignore the link.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    all criticisms welcome and encouraged
    OK, you asked for it ...

Firstly, I didn't know it was a "newspaper" until I looked at the survey. It's not clear what the site is for.

The first thing you see on the page is a big fat ad. Not very nice. That's where I want to see the logo (which is also normally the Home link). Tht ad is hidden for mobiles, but those poor guys will presumably have to download all that **** all the same.

It's not clear where to focus on the home page. Stuff just floats around and I don't know what to do. Give a clear intro to the site, with some clear options / actions to take to get people interested.

The home slider is pretty unrefined and doesn't invite any kind of action. It's a bit broken, too (hover over Entrepreneurialism).

The light gray text on a white background isn't good for accessibility.

The articles feel crammed between heavy sidebars. It's not a very pleasant reading experience.

Sorry to sound so negative. I don't like doing that, but you did ask for honest criticism.

O, and don't play YouTube videos by default. That's a sin. I was listening to the radio while checking out your pages, and suddenly I had noise coming at me from somewhere.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    OK, you asked for it ...

Firstly, I didn't know it was a "newspaper" until I looked at the survey. It's not clear what the site is for.

-wow...you're absolutely right, I'm working on chaining that right away - thank you for dealing with the survey too, that was my partners role and included at his insistence.

The first thing you see on the page is a big fat ad. Not very nice. That's where I want to see the logo (which is also normally the Home link). Tht ad is hidden for mobiles, but those poor guys will presumably have to download all that **** all the same.

-I am sorry about this however the owner wants the main revenue stream (if any) to come via ads and this area is one he wants to exploit. -very good point about downloading onto mobiles though, I should change it so only desktops view them.

It's not clear where to focus on the home page. Stuff just floats around and I don't know what to do. Give a clear intro to the site, with some clear options / actions to take to get people interested.

The home slider is pretty unrefined and doesn't invite any kind of action. It's a bit broken, too (hover over Entrepreneurialism).

-I am currently changing this, I was hung up on the slider and wanted to use it but it's just not ideal although I'm stuck with designing a new feature for nave to the various pages, hopefully I'll get it sorted soon.

The light gray text on a white background isn't good for accessibility.

So, you'd prefer the darker text like in the politics page? Or do you think the whole site shoudl be black text?

The articles feel crammed between heavy sidebars. It's not a very pleasant reading experience.

-Very very true, hadn't noticed before. On my to do list. I don't want to lose one of the sidebars but I can certainly change the widths a bit.

Sorry to sound so negative. I don't like doing that, but you did ask for honest criticism.

-not at all, if yo've more...come at me

O, and don't play YouTube videos by default. That's a sin. I was listening to the radio while checking out your pages, and suddenly I had noise coming at me from somewhere.
    -I ******* HATE THAT, Sorry, had no idea. Must be google ads, I'll see if theres a way to turn them off.

Excellent! thank you, this is exactly what was needed.

I'm not sure which point to address first - I've put notes under your comments.
    Last edited by cpradio; Sep 27, 2013 at 05:00.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,

I don't like very much that adsense banner.
    I would center it and I would change its background colour to white.

I would align the input text with the input submit under "Stay updated".

Hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    First of all I had to look a bit through the website to actually figure out what it's about.
    I wasn't sure where to look first, because there is no clear call-to-action and the colors are quite faded - it was hard to find a focus point.
    When I go on an article to read the full story, absolutely everything is this washed blue/grey and that makes it incredibly hard to focus. If I'm reading an article, first of all I need the content to be structured and split into sections. You need to guide the reader and make the article their main focus point.
    I would also clean up the page containing the article, there is just so much information on each side
    And one more thing, definitely use different Facebook buttons under each article.

Hope this was helpful and looking forward to seeing the final product.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there,

You seen to be having some issue on one of your pages. "Warning: include_once(../../includes/header.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\www\Perspect\readerStories\readerStoriesMain.php on line 122" It looks like you tried to link to your computer instead of the website. Not sure though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, did not like the ads being so prominent at the top of the page - it distracted me and I had to look around to find out what your site was about. As someone else said, the logo and some sort of menu /navigation usually appears at top left of the page.
    Something about the font used on your site makes it difficult to read the actual text! Given that the primary thing you want your visitors to do is READ the text, the font is going to have to be really easy to read!

I DO however, like the menu bar just below the ads (if you just move that up to the top and get rid of the ads, it would look a lot better already!)

And I DO like the layout of the main part of the page.

The image scroller does not work correctly for me on firefox on windows 7 - it kind of sticks, not sure if it is because there are not enough images to scroll off of the screen or what

You will need to SEO this thing to the hilt if you want to get lots of hits.. every page must have different meta tags related to the article itself

I am assuming your content is basically just taking rss feeds and putting it into a more readable format? If so that is great, but why would people come to your site rather than all the millions of other sites that already do that?
    That is what you need to think about
    Lots of work to do but there is some promise here I think!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The link is broken, correct that and I will be happy to review it