User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Daycare Website Review???

Hi all,
    I am putting the finishing touches on Run-Ze Multi-Cultural Learning Center, a daycare in Illinois. I just have registration left to go. I want critiques on everything (I know the Chinese part isn't up yet, and I want to make it better. Please give me some compliments too, I don't want to always feel bad . Keep in mind that I'm a 13 year old. <snip/>
    Thanks for helping!
    Last edited by Mittineague; Sep 14, 2013 at 19:54. Reason: please read the FAQ

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Just a personal gripe, but I often notice that websites for things like day care centers, schools etc. tend not to make it very clear where they are located—which is really critical information for such an entity. Admittedly, it didn't take me long to work out that this center is in Naperville, IL, but still, I think that info needs to be front and center, in big letters, at the top of all such sites. People can stumble on sites like this from all corners of the world (yes, America, there is a world beyond your shores!) so don't waste the time of people from other countries, states and even cities.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andy,

First of all, just like to say I'm impressed with the site - really like the background image and the site seems to have loads of information on it!

A couple of things I noticed while browsing:

When I clicked on the Registration heading (I'm using Firefox), it came up with the following message:

You have asked Firefox to connect
    securely to rzlearning.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,
    sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
    going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

I'm not sure exactly what makes this happen but I had to click to add your site as an exception. I don't know if this is an issue for you but thought it would be worth mentioning.

Also, on the photos section, at the bottom where the screen numbers are the selected number appears higher than the other two. Is this intentional? I can appreciate you want the selected page number to stand out by bolding it but it looks like it could be a formatting error, although I know I'm being a bit pedantic.

On the homepage, the Choose A Great Program header is needlessly big in my opinion, it doesn't really fit with the rest of the page. I personally would make it the same size as the other headers on the page.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krabople View Post
    Hi Andy,

First of all, just like to say I'm impressed with the site - really like the background image and the site seems to have loads of information on it!

A couple of things I noticed while browsing:

When I clicked on the Registration heading (I'm using Firefox), it came up with the following message:

You have asked Firefox to connect
    securely to rzlearning.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely,
    sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are
    going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

I'm not sure exactly what makes this happen but I had to click to add your site as an exception. I don't know if this is an issue for you but thought it would be worth mentioning.

Also, on the photos section, at the bottom where the screen numbers are the selected number appears higher than the other two. Is this intentional? I can appreciate you want the selected page number to stand out by bolding it but it looks like it could be a formatting error, although I know I'm being a bit pedantic.

On the homepage, the Choose A Great Program header is needlessly big in my opinion, it doesn't really fit with the rest of the page. I personally would make it the same size as the other headers on the page.
    Thanks! The SSL error is because the site is on shared hosting; all of the sites use iPage's SSL server. Not sure how to work with that.
    With the photos, I'm not sure what happened there. I'll take a look at it.
    And thanks for the feedback on the header; I'll scale it down.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a look over the website and think you should maybe improve the home page.

The text is a little over powering on the homepage. Might be worth changing it down a shade or two. Also i would suggest breaking the paragraph up in to easy to read 2-3 line paragraphs.

Space out the footer

Sort the HTTPS out on the registration page. Certificates dont cost to much through your hosting company.

Get rid of all the tests on the news page and write 2-3 news posts.

Put colour on the twitter & FB icons so they stand out

I think overall its very informative and to the point. I would definitely consider re thinking the font and how you style the text.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andy,

Your site looks good. From a web designer point of view, I would recommend changing the font style though to Tahoma, Verdana or Helveteca. Times New Roman is usually the default but it is not very eye-friendly.

Cheers!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

For me it looks mostly what i'd expect, it's not super cutting edge but then you probably don't need that.

A bit of tidying up would be good though. As above consider a font type change and also colour. I personally prefer to read a dark grey than black as i think it doesn't look so harsh, but that is subjective so that's up to you really. For the font i would go one further than above and use a 'google font' and a bit of css to have the headings in a more interesting font. Don't go crazy and use a massively different font but i think you could enhance the look with a nice interesting one on the headings.

I find the four columns at the bottom quite messy, you could try a simple css border-right:1px #ccc dotted; like you have across the page, to separate them (remember not to put that on the last column as it won't need a right border against the edge of the page).

You also have a rather amusing sentence in your intro 'With a parent's assistance, we promise that there are no caregivers that can ensure every child is perfectly satisfied.' you've got a double negative in there which changes the meaning. At the moment you are saying that with the parent's assistance you will ensure that the child is not satisfied! i don't think you mean to put that!

Also i'd put a paragraph break in to make it easier to read rather than in a large block.

hth
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - I would recommend changing the background. It's distractingly bad... Also, try an updated font choice as well as maybe rounding the corners on your tables. Perhaps an updated logo as well? You may want to seek the advice of a graphic designer.
    Funny Junk
    Free File Storage - Easy enough for webmasters!