SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chrome browser slow do to corrupted files

My Chrome browser is acting slow lately. I removed all extensions, cookies...completely uninstalled and reinstalled it but it does not help. I unchecked the "phishing detection" in the settings, which helped only a bit. My Avast antivirus shows that I have about 40 "damaged and unreadable" files, mostly .tmp, .crx. dll and exe. I believe these act as corrupted files that make my Chrome slow. I can't delete them, but can I somehow "disable" them? At this point, formatting the disc is not an option. Internet Explorer and Firefox work fine. I use Windows 7.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There a few things that you can do before that. It may be simply that your Windows profile is broken. Try with a new one.
    - Simply log in as the local administrator (an account that must be deactivated but it already exists in Win 7, you can enable it),
    - then make a copy of your profile (c:\users\name_of_user) so you don't lose any bit of info,
    - and delete the original one (Control Panel > System (classic view) > Advanced System Configuration > Advanced Options tab > profile button and then choose your profile and delete it)
    - Close the administrator session and start your session (your user still exists so you should choose your user)

That will give you a clean profile and maybe that will solve the problem

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it and it works fine for now. I did not copy the entire profile, just bookmarks. I logged in the old Chrome account, so bookmarks became associated with the account, then I changed user and logged in Chrome account again and the bookmarks automatically synchronized.