User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bolding Custom Font

I am using a font called "Stanberry" for print and it is great:
    http://www.dafont.com/stanberry.font

However, I would like to modify the font to include a bolded version of each letter for print. Has anybody had any experience doing this by modifying the font file itself? How easy or hard is it to do?

Thanks,
    "To make an apple pie from scratch,
    you must first create the universe.
    -Carl Sagan

Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    However, I would like to modify the font to include a bolded version of each letter for print.
    do you mean for when the website is printed OR just having a heavier type weight file specifically for print ( non-web)?

If the previous, UA's faux-bold text with: font-weight:bold. Of course, faux bold is not always pretty then again neither is an altered font. Fonts are delicate creatures and while it may seem easy to grab programs like Fontforge. Crafting a a type face is heady work even for people with decades of training.

Another (also ugly option), is to outline the font and add kerning. the other main problem will be that the thicker the stroke the more the bowls, loops and apertures will fill, changing the entire look of the fonts. I recommend messing with he fonts only if you have painted yourself in to some serious corner.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Yeah, far better to find a similar typeface with a bold font already included. That font looks pretty familiar, so there shouldn't be much problem finding something similar.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."