User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris77:
    ... but it just doesn't look all that good with those squares around the dates.
    Ah, that's a matter of personal flavoring.
    Here is a fresh one without the borders (the % numbers are also some smaller):

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Francky - ah, it's still too ugly :-), the grey is to ameteur looking (it needs to be white).
    While it's the same size as the original, I had to shrink the original down to 464/300 for my need, and I noticed ther's no need for "Years >" and "Percent >" so I'm going to cut them off or erase them if it doesn't increase the size too much. The need for eye candy to draw attention is taxing, that's for sure. Sorry. This is the hazards of rebuilding. Chris

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too ugly: no problem! - It was meant as just an example how you can optimize a 16M colors image of about 55kB to a 16 colors png of about 11kB, and what types of decisions for the method you can use.
    • The extra colors I added served to show that even with more colors in the original a 16 color png can have almost the same quality as a 16M png (and have a better quality as a 16M jpg).

Of course you have your own basic image, you like other colors, other background colors, other borders, other fonts, etc. And maybe a 16 color png is not good enough in the end, and you have to go to a 256 color type (which has a bit larger file size).

So as conclusion I can come back to my starting point in message #21:
    • "The best image optimizer I know ... is you!"

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. 'Working on too many things at once. Sorry.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's OK. - From an other topic I learned that the online tinypng.org can save also a lot of the file size of a png image.

• I tried this tinypng, and it even can save another 12% of the former irfanview optimized image. - So you give it a try too!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the answer is photoshop, I been working and using this in my design and optimizing photos with great results

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using "Fileminimizer" software. I think this is best because many times it reduce 70&%-80% file size. You may also use tinypng dot com for online png image compress.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use photoshop and the option to "save for web", you can change a lot of things there, and it optimizes images quite well. Almost in all cases my image size is reduced by ~70%.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm Using generally Photoshop to image modify but you can use online image optimizer "imageoptimizer dot net".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you to use either Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Firework’s Export Wizard for image optimization. As I also use the same one for image optimization.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Adobe Photoshop is the best tool for image optimization and editing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... repeat ... repeat ... repeat ...

But so far, the oneliners are going about automatic optimizers, and nobody did come with arguments against my post nr. #21:

• "The best image optimizer you know of? That is ... you!
    • - There have to be made some decisions which an automatic optimizer can not make (... etc.)"

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Satisfaction. Someone had the image in a pdf file. I highlighted the image, copy, pasted it to paint shop pro, then saved it. This created a 32kb jpg file (Gimp2 software try was larger at 39.9). While trying to reduce the file with paint shop I noticed it has a number of colors reducer with a web safe colors option for gif files. So I looked for an image converter online (image.online-convert.com) to change it to a gif file. Then I put the .gif into PSP and reduced the colors to 16 and now the file is 9.79 kb and there's no fuzziness. It looks great.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did it over using PSP convert to gif. Seems to have made the chart lines a little bit sharper. Gimp2 doesn't have any gif tools that I could find. (number of colors was reduced to 14 (Reducing the number of colors to 13 colors changed some of the colors of the graph.)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... PSP convert to gif. Seems to have made the chart lines a little bit sharper.
    Yes, the .jpg saving is always giving some blur.

• Note: the "web safe colors" is the 216 cross-browser color palette from the history time that computers/monitors could only display 256 colors. Nowadays everything can give the 16M colors (except the monochrome monitors ), so I don't care about "websafe colors". The only thing to give attention is to set the colors in rgb (and not cmyk, which has an other color space, not used by browsers).

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went back into PSP thinking maybe I didn't need to use web safe colors and found "Optimized Octree" as an option under "method of color selection" . This brought the image file down to 8.06kb. Then I ran the page with the image through gtmetrix.com and it said, via page speed, the image could be optimized and which brought the file size down to 7.47kb and changed it to a png file in the process (which removed at least one blemish that happen to be in a place that made it look like a decimal.). Now that it's a new file type, maybe I could optimize yet again.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used tinypng.com and it brought the file image down to 6.97kb.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use photoshop with save for web option ( where for jpeg you could reduce the size)

Also this site imageoptimizer.net is an handy tool.. This tool is good when you do not have an option to use PS...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That apparently was my beginners luck. was beginners luck (#38, 39, 41, 42), I tried it with a jpg image that wasn't a graph and it didn't work at all.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best image optimizer is http://imageoptim.com. It remove the unwanted space , content and color of the files.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find Photoshop pretty good for JPEG compression but poor for PNG. The best tool I could find for PNGs is Color quantizer. It can produce 8-bit PNG with alpha transparency and you can limit the amount of colours to any amount, even far above 255 - Photoshop can't do either of those. Size savings from 8-bit PNG can be really big, I ususally get from 2 to 4 times smaller files than with Photoshop. Even full colour 24-bit PNGs saved with Color quantizer take much less space than those saved with Photoshop's "save for web" - the differences I have found in practice were as large as 300KB vs 500KB (more or less). I think ImageAlpha is the quivalent for Mac.