SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    SitePoint Wizard DoubleDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,777
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    All-Site Encryption and SEO...

    In light of all the privacy concerns out there, a few weeks ago I decided to make all web pages on my website encrypted (i.e. using HTTPS), and then just the other day a thought occurred to me...

    If I make every web page HTTPS on my website, then won't that *completely* block every page on my website from the search engines??

    Since most of the pages on my website are content (e.g. articles), I *need* awesome SEO.

    At the same time, when a Visitor or a Registered Member arrives on my website, I want to give them peace-of-mind by not broadcasting where they surf or what they type (e.g. Article Comments) for the whole world to see.

    Is there a way to get the best of both worlds?!

    Sincerely,


    Debbie

  2. #2
    Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    ScallioXTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,077
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Search engines can still see and index your site perfectly fine with HTTPS. If a visitor can see a site without logging in etc, search engines can too.
    If you don't believe me, google for "twitter", first result is https://www.twitter.com/
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

    SitePoint forums will switch to Discourse soon! Make sure you're ready for it!

    Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

  3. #3
    Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    4,606
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Search engines can crawl HTTPS sites. It doesn't make much of a difference to them.

    All HTTPS does is create an encrypted tunnel between the visitor and the server so that the data being transferred is unreadable to anyone potentially intercepting it somewhere in between. So, what you have is a way to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard DoubleDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,777
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScallioXTX View Post
    Search engines can still see and index your site perfectly fine with HTTPS. If a visitor can see a site without logging in etc, search engines can too.

    If you don't believe me, google for "twitter", first result is https://www.twitter.com/
    So HTTP and HTTPS don't matter to Search Engines, just whether or not the page is "restricted" (e.g. Requires a person being logged in)?

    Sincerely,


    Debbie

  5. #5
    SitePoint Wizard DoubleDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,777
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Flow View Post
    All HTTPS does is create an encrypted tunnel between the visitor and the server so that the data being transferred is unreadable to anyone potentially intercepting it somewhere in between. So, what you have is a way to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks.
    So from a privacy standpoint, encrypting all web pages on my website - using HTTPS - would be a good thing, right?

    And from an SEO standpoint, it sounds like it would make no difference, right?

    Sincerely,


    Debbie

  6. #6
    Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    ScallioXTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,077
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post
    So from a privacy standpoint, encrypting all web pages on my website - using HTTPS - would be a good thing, right?
    Right.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post
    And from an SEO standpoint, it sounds like it would make no difference, right?
    Right again
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

    SitePoint forums will switch to Discourse soon! Make sure you're ready for it!

    Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard DoubleDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,777
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScallioXTX View Post
    Right.


    Right again
    Gee, is that it?! That easy??


    Debbie


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •