SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS integration with existing website

So I've been developing website for many year, but just recently I had a client come to me with an existing website and requested that they have some way to manually update it themselves. While it's not a complex website I'm not sure how simple it would be to integrate with a CMS as I've never used them.

Their website: http://tailwindfurniture.com/
    Their requirements:
    • Update Rotating Images on Homepage (I feel this is the most complex requirement as it must be simple for people who know nothing about computers)
    • Update any images on other pages
    • Update product specifications (ie. weight)

If anyone has experience using a CMS with similar requirement please let me know what you used as I currently have no idea which CMS would be best suited for this type of application.

P.S. I've also thought of designing a quick and dirty custom solution, but would prefer to have a nice looking CMS with many features.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    In a situation like this—where there's an extensive static site already in place—it's worth considering a solution like Perch. It kind of sits beside your site, rather than encompassing your site like a full-blown CMS would, and plugs into your existing pages wherever it's required. That is, you can make parts of your pages editable without having to rebuild the whole site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. How easy is it to customize to allow custom updating of JavaScript variables?

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steven10172 View Post
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. How easy is it to customize to allow custom updating of JavaScript variables?
    I haven't used it for a while, TBH, but it's very simple and non-intrusive, although they keep adding cool features to it. The makes are also very frleidnly and responsive, so if you have any specific questions, you can ask in their forum.

Could you say a bit more about what you are trying to do with the JavaScript? In principle, I'm not sure you would need the CMS to do that at all, but it depends on what you mean.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few easy ways. Aside from perch there is cushycms and surreal CMS. Those two will be easier if they fit the bill. From memory perch is more self hosted ya? Which is fine of course if that's what your after. But if its plug in play then you can't get any easier than surreal or cushy.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PicnicTutorials View Post
    From memory perch is more self hosted ya?.
    Yes, which I prefer from a security standpoint. Perch also has a lot more options. Another one like this is Pulse.