User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    So yeah, it was nice, but I think the cost outweighs the benefit.
    Perhaps for you... but if you work in that bar and you're beginning to develop lung cancer....

There are some people who are curteous enough... but not everyone is. There are lots of people who just don't care.

I, too, am enjoying the new legislation here..

It's a philosophical debate on the purpose of law, pretty much. The utilitarian view: law is supposed to be there to make the most people happy that it possibly can - which is basically the basis for democracy. The Ottawa by-law was voted in. It's not completely "the government" controlling people, as many people have pointed out. Our governments are supposed to be representative of the people. If you don't like the laws that are proposed in your area, do something about it.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    Perhaps for you... but if you work in that bar and you're beginning to develop lung cancer....
    I have worked at bars, nightclubs, and restaurants in the past. Fortunately, the nightclub (which was the most smoke-filled job I had) was outside in a courtyard (this was in Miami Beach). So yes, the bar staff may not like the smoke, but they can always work elsewhere in a non-smoking establishment. It's their choice too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    So yes, the bar staff may not like the smoke, but they can always work elsewhere in a non-smoking establishment. It's their choice too.
    It is, yes. The problem was (and still is) when people were/are aware of the risks of second-hand smoke.
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhtmlgod
    I think they should ban cars from the road, their dangerous too...
    Then you probably wouldn't mind if I spit my chew in your face? Thats how I feel about smoke in my face.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techmonkey
    Then you probably wouldn't mind if I spit my chew in your face? Thats how I feel about smoke in my face.
    Rude people have all kinds of annoying habits; the fact that someone is smoking in your face doesn't mean that smoking should be banned, it just means that they're rude. I have friends who talk very loudly; I tell them to keep their voices down (especially late at night or in quiet areas) and they do. If they don't, I'm not going to try to pass a law forbidding loud talking.

If someone asks me not to smoke near them, I comply respectfully by moving away from them or putting my cigarette out. While smoking bans may be a plus for you since you don't smoke, I think it's a complete waste of legislative resources when there are bigger problems in the world, and I don't particularly like the government telling me where I can and cannot practice my habits (a habit that is not obscene or offensive by the way, and one in which I respect others' beliefs/opinions/attitudes) because of a few rude people.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch
    hey fat, no promlem. [*]I have lung cacer, so I think I'll sue the tobacco companies because they create cigarettes.
    Blaming tobacco companies now and in the recent past is an example of not taking responisibility, but a good many who are making claims started smoking decdes ago when the tobacco companies knew full well the links between smoking and diseases like cancer, yet hid them from the public, something the tobacco companies should take responisibilty for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilware.net
    It's a disgusting habit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A disgusting habit indeed and a hard one to break.

fatnewt, I didn't mean to get under your skin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toly
    Don't worry too much about the government. They are doing just great, trust me.
    I don't they are doing so well nowdays

But even though I hate smoking, I think it should only be banned in enclosed public areas and not outside.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ill leave it at this..first there have been mumerous studies that have said second hand smoke is pratically harmless because the amount you actually breathe while subjected is practically the same as standing next to a car running for just a few minutes which im sure you do.

Second and most importantly...There are WAY many other concerns that people should worry themselves about like robbed, getting car jacked, Raped, Die in car accident etc.... than worrying about some dudes cigarette smoke.

By the way I dont smoke but im not a tree, I can move if it bothers me.
    http://www.Insidersportszone.com

Sports news, gaming and Interactive forums for all fans!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically what Im saying is there are way bigger issues in life we need to worry about like people starving, terroists nuking us..lol than some guy lighting up
    http://www.Insidersportszone.com

Sports news, gaming and Interactive forums for all fans!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by URAlly
    A disgusting habit indeed and a hard one to break.

fatnewt, I didn't mean to get under your skin.

Ha, don't worry about it. I pretty much just like to ramble.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLinsider
    Second and most importantly...There are WAY many other concerns that people should worry themselves about like robbed, getting car jacked, Raped, Die in car accident etc.... than worrying about some dudes cigarette smoke.

Basically what Im saying is there are way bigger issues in life we need to worry about like people starving, terroists nuking us..lol than some guy lighting up

Perhaps there are many things we need to worry about, but should everyone in the areas of medicine and health drop what they're doing and focus on terrorism and external affairs? Should legislative officials and doctors drop their studies on second-hand smoke and become police officers to fight car jackings and rape? Or to enforce traffic law?

I bet the people who are seriously ill due to second hand smoke wish that they had worried a bit about "some dude's" cigarette smoke.

There are bigger issues in life, perhaps. But that doesn't mean we should abandon these ones. It may not be as big as terrorism or car accidents, but thousands of people dying certainly isn't small.

What exactly do you propose we do to focus on these other, "bigger" problems?
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya know just a thought here....

How in the world did anyone survive the 50's and 60's (for example)...I mean in reality we should all have second hand smokers cancer. There wasn't much of anywhere you would go without someone smoking. And people didn't go outside of their homes to smoke, and didn't think too much about the fact there were children in the house, etc. They used to smoke in movie theaters, restaurants, airplanes, grocery stores, malls....you name it! I think church was about the only place they didn't smoke. And back then they were allowed to smoke cigars and pipes in public places. So, why aren't we all dead or dying right now? (ok...technically we are all dying right now, but, I mean from smokers cancer)

we have just become to whiny! Everyone wants things to be their way....ME ME ME....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by advantagecom
    Ya know just a thought here....

How in the world did anyone survive the 50's and 60's (for example)...I mean in reality we should all have second hand smokers cancer. There wasn't much of anywhere you would go without someone smoking. And people didn't go outside of their homes to smoke, and didn't think too much about the fact there were children in the house, etc. They used to smoke in movie theaters, restaurants, airplanes, grocery stores, malls....you name it! I think church was about the only place they didn't smoke. And back then they were allowed to smoke cigars and pipes in public places. So, why aren't we all dead or dying right now? (ok...technically we are all dying right now, but, I mean from smokers cancer)

we have just become to whiny! Everyone wants things to be their way....ME ME ME....
    Well to be fair, there are more chemicals in cigarettes now than ever, so that's part of the equation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There wasn't much of anywhere you would go without someone smoking. And people didn't go outside of their homes to smoke, and didn't think too much about the fact there were children in the house, etc. They used to smoke in movie theaters, restaurants, airplanes, grocery stores, malls....you name it!
    And after a while they realized that some people were getting cancer because of it. And that second-hand smoke was more dangerous than people thought.

It's not that it wasn't a problem, it's that people didn't know.

So, why aren't we all dead or dying right now?
    Some people are. It's not like it didn't happen.

And not everyone liked the fact that there was smoke everywhere.... especially when the health risks became more apparent. But there wasn't any legislation on it so many people didn't hesitate to smoke in public.
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, I do understand that people are dying from cancer...but I don't think that saying it is only from one particular source it accurate...yes, it is a contributing factor, however...some people are just more likely to get cancer! So perhaps those people should be doing more to avoid things that would cause them to be subjected to it. I know if I was more likely to get it I would be trying to do something to avoid it...And do! Perhaps even still I will end up with it...and then...I will play with the cards I have been dealt. Not at all saying I wish for it or would like it. I can only do something about the things in my life to avoid a bad outcome...I can not make it so you won't ever get cancer.

If any of you are so worried about it....go live in your bubble and then...maybe you will be safe...because today...it is cigarettes, yesterday it was lead and asbestos, tomorrow it will be sitting to close to a computer processor! Pick your poison!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    And after a while they realized that some people were getting cancer because of it. And that second-hand smoke was more dangerous than people thought.
    And not everyone liked the fact that there was smoke everywhere.... especially when the health risks became more apparent. But there wasn't any legislation on it so many people didn't hesitate to smoke in public.

Besides people minded their own business back then too....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a safe assumption that nobody here wants lung cancer. If you decide that you don't care enough to protect yourself, and if you do get cancer, are you going to want health care or some kind of social security so you can live with it? Someone has to take care of you (and in some places, that costs the taxpayers money.) That's not in the interest of the government, or the people.

If any of you are so worried about it....go live in your bubble and then...maybe you will be safe
    If it wasn't regulated, there would be smoke in more places. For a while in Ottawa, there were few places you could go out and eat at that did not have a smoking section. Since smoke is gaseous, it spreads.

Now I want to avoid cancer, but no, I don't want to live in a bubble.

Enough people got together and decided that they wanted smoking regulated more strongly in some areas, and so it came to be.

The law is here to protect us. [stretching it]That's like saying you can shoot bullets randomly in public... and if you don't want to get hit by one then stay inside. That's like saying the government should no longer control the quality of the food and water in restaurants.[/stretching it]

...because today...it is cigarettes, yesterday it was lead and asbestos, tomorrow it will be sitting to close to a computer processor! Pick your poison!
    Close to a computer processor? If another person points out something like this I'm going to go nuts. Eating sugary foods and fatty foods are other popular choices that have nothing to do with this. Those are all self choices. I choose NOT to smoke. I choose NOT to inhale smoke. But if people around me, everywhere I go, are smoking... then that makes the choice a little more difficult.

Besides people minded their own business back then too....
    If second-hand smoke has the potential to kill me, that is my business.
    Web Analyst at Napkyn