SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Platform <-> Web Based

I was wondering. I've been noticing a lot of programs are moving twoard the Internet now days, like they have Internet access from within them. I have been getting into web programming a little bit and was wondering if there will be a large demand for it in the US. I also liked platform based programming, like for Windows or something, but I have this fealing its not going to be worth it. I mean it will be another 3-5 years before I'll be 100% good at it and by then I think most platform based apps will be going away, and everything will be moving twoard the Internet. I even heard roumers that Microsoft is planning to stop the production of it's software and operating systems as a CD-ROM base, and soon you'll only be able to use their software via the Internet, like you pay for the use of it, but it's installed on their servers, like a huge application server, they were going to do this to stop software pirating. I think I even heard MS talk about something like this at a press confrence so I think it might be true, but most people still using dial-up connections, the Internet is simply too slow at the current time to provide such a service. Does anyone else see an end comming to platform based applications?

I'm just wondering, and since I'm interested in web based programming I figured it'd be a good time to ask.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never use such a service , I would switch to another OS instantly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the way I felt about. I don't like the fact of using Activation Codes for software now, because I now have to call MS everytime I need to reinstall my software and get 100 questions. I changed my hard drive because I needed a bigger one, and then the new one didn't work, so I took it back and got a new one. I ended up having to activate my software three times and MS was going to refuse to activate it the third time because "it was a different hard drive" Well dugh! I spent sometimes thousands of dollars on software for my business, and MS refuses to let me use them because I changed my hard drive? I think that if they go to the new Application Server Based OS's and software like the've been talking about it will be even worse. They'll know everthing, from how often I use the software, to everything. That's an invasion of privacy, but when you look at it, really there's not much choice but to use MS stuff because there's not really any other companies out there that can compete with them at their level... at least that I've found.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time MS gets their services ready, Linux will be more then ready to take over the OS roll for people who don't want to use such services.

Seriously, nobody ( and certainly MS not ) has no business how many times I use certain software ( not to mention the other info they probbaly will be able to "extract" ).

I'm not shooting the idea of web-services but I don't think it's practical certainly not for an OS. What if my connection is down ? I would be losing money because of that.

The more I think about this the more I start thinking it's allmost impossible to do such a thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now I think of it , I've heard they would like to make Office applications as webservices and not the OS but still see my previous post ... what if my internetconnection goes down ?!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what there planning, but in the end, I think as the Internet gets bigger and bigger, soon almost everything we do will be on the Internet, heck I can't think of one thing you can't do on the Internet now days. Pluss another reason they mentioned they were thinking about moving to server based application is becase of the production cost of CD-ROMs, but hell, when they charge hundreds or even thousands of dollars for one program, the cost of the CD should not be a problem. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with it. I'll try to keep my eye on the news to see if anything more is said about it, maybe there will be somthing on there website, but last time I was on there I got so lost I had to use a map to find my way back out, so I'm never going back there again.