User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Public Smoking Ban

A new UK law could see smoking in public banned. Personally I think it's a great idea and I'm fully in support of it. It's a disgusting habit.

More info can be found here.

-Sam
    Sam Hastings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As of this past Tuesday, smoking is not allowed in restaurants and many bars all over Florida. While I agree with the idea somewhat, it still worries me that a state government can have that much control over what, when, and where people can conduct their activities, which I don't like. Of course, that's just my tinfoil hat talking.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reasoning behind the UK ban is supposedly due to health risks associated with passive smoking, which of course is a health risk.

Although I do agree with you Vinnie, it may be a bit like Big Brother watching us all - but hey, I don't care, because I don't smoke!

-Sam
    Sam Hastings

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another piece of nanny-state legislation that has me happy I'm leaving the place to sort itself out

Edit:

I really should read article before commenting....

The whole thing is a load of, erm, smoke. Typical media sensationalism making something out of nothing...obviously short of stories this week...

The Department of Health has indicated that ministers have no plans to introduce such a ban.
    ...the bans pushed for aren't in "public" anyway, just enclosed spaces. Most restuarants and places of work are largely non-smoking now anyway. I know of only one non-smoking pub (in Winchester). They aren't talking about stopping you walking down the street having a fag....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they should ban cars from the road, their dangerous too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'm all for it, even if it is a bit scary how much control the state has. I hate smoking, it makes me very sick at my stomach to be around it for any length of time, not to mention the fact that I can hardly breathe when I'm around a smoker. I wish they'd do the same thing here in TN. I'd almost rather smell pot smoke than cigarette smoke...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd almost rather smell pot smoke than cigarette smoke...
    Yeah, me too...
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In a situation like this, the phrase "I may not agree with what a man has to say, but I will defend to the death his right to say it" comes to mind. While I personally may not like someone's habits and may even feel some concern over it, I am ultimately not the one who should dictate that decision to him or her, and it's up to that person to do what they want. I feel the government should keep the same approach. I smoke, which may or may not sway my opinion on the matter (I'd like to think it doesn't), and I'd like to think that I would take the same approach for any infringement of human rights.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjmedlock
    Personally, I'm all for it, even if it is a bit scary how much control the state has. I hate smoking, it makes me very sick at my stomach to be around it for any length of time, not to mention the fact that I can hardly breathe when I'm around a smoker. I wish they'd do the same thing here in TN. I'd almost rather smell pot smoke than cigarette smoke...
    And yes, I too would rather smell mary jane over cigarettes. At least that smell goes away in a much shorter amount of time than cigarette smoke does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not a nice habit - but I am a very 'live and let live' type of guy...

...if these guys want to kill themselves them let them do it in peace for gods sake
    Rick

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all for it.

This isn't legislating what someone can do in the privacy of their own home. This is legislating what someone can do in public.

Smoking affects other people (and it costs the government money in eventual medical expenses... but thats besides the point). You can use snuff or chew if you really need your nicotine, and those don't affect others. Smoking does affect others, and I'd be all for a ban in public places here.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very big issue right now in the state of Texas. The local gov't is trying to pass laws where people can't even smoke outside of public places, period.

Although I don't smoke anymore, I think that's a bit extreme. I wonder how many law enforcement officers guilty of smoking themselves will enforce these laws if they do pass.

I'm more concerned about alcohol consumption in public places than smoking in public places. There are far more people killed by drunk drivers than there are those killed by second hand smoke.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by URAlly
    I'm more concerned about alcohol consumption in public places than smoking in public places. There are far more people killed by drunk drivers than there are those killed by second hand smoke.

No kidding and besides the fact that someone drinking can get in a car and kill someone, have you ever experienced a drunk in your face breathing on you? UGH Now that is enough to turn your stomach!!!!
    Or the stench of a drunk, after being on a drinking binge? EWWWW

While I don't like being in a restaurant when someone is smoking or having to breathe their smoke when they are near, I used to live in California who for many years now has banned smoking in all public places (restaurants, bars, malls etc.) and while I do not want to sit next to someone who smokes I also do not think they should have to be forced to go out to the back alley by the dumpsters to smoke.

I am just sick of hearing people feel that because they don't *insert your own nasty habit* that others should be denied the right to it.

No matter what the habit someone somewhere is not going to like it!
    Guaranteed!

Karla

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by advantagecom
    I am just sick of hearing people feel that because they don't *insert your own nasty habit* that others should be denied the right to it.

No matter what the habit someone somewhere is not going to like it!
    Guaranteed!
    You sum up my opinion completely in those two paragraphs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aspen
    (and it costs the government money in eventual medical expenses... but thats besides the point).
    Don't worry too much about the government. They are doing just great, trust me.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very big issue right now in the state of Texas. The local gov't is trying to pass laws where people can't even smoke outside of public places, period.
    Outside public places is still public. The sidewalk is a public place, streets are public places, parks are public places.

There are far more people killed by drunk drivers than there are those killed by second hand smoke.
    Which is why drinking and driving is illegal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toly
    Don't worry too much about the government. They are doing just great, trust me.
    Tell that to all the teachers that just got laid off in my state cause of a budget shortfall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I did smoke, I made it a rule to always ask the people around me if it was okay to smoke. I know it does make certain people violently ill and is very annoying and I totally respect that. And when in public places such a restaurants, I would sit in the non-smoking section. It's even worse for some when they are trying to eat. My habit was never bad enough that I didn't consider how it might affect others.

I'm all for banning smoking in restaurants and even malls, but telling a person they can't smoke outside is what I have a problem with. If that happens, then clubbers should not be allowed to drive if their out on the town drinking all night. Just herd em like cattle into taxi cabs when the bars close. And if pot is legalized (which I suspect it will be soon enough), then pot smokers should only be allowed 1 joint per 30 days and tested on a regular basis to keep em honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell that to all the teachers that just got laid off in my state cause of a budget shortfall.
    Sorry to hear that. However, they are not the ones who have to pay those medical expenses you pointed out, which in fact is being paid with peoples tax money. I'm getting off the subject here, so I'll stop.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And if pot is legalized (which I suspect it will be soon enough), then pot smokers should only be allowed 1 joint per 30 days and tested on a regular basis to keep em honest.
    Given the current trend against cigarette smoking, I don't think marijuana will be legal anytime soon, especially since both of the major parties seem to agree that drugs are better off if left illegal. I personally would rather see it legalized for a variety of reasons, but I don't see it happening for at least 20-30 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't legislating what someone can do in the privacy of their own home. This is legislating what someone can do in public.
    Good point. It's perfectly legal to run around naked in your own house
    but not on a public street. Most people don't mind this law. (In fact, many of us are grateful for it.) So, what's the difference? In fact, seeing someone running down the street naked is physically a lot less harmful than getting lungs full of smoke when you're trying to eat. (Mentally, it depends on who's doing the running...)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjmedlock
    (Mentally, it depends on who's doing the running...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Given the current trend against cigarette smoking, I don't think marijuana will be legal anytime soon, especially since both of the major parties seem to agree that drugs are better off if left illegal. I personally would rather see it legalized for a variety of reasons, but I don't see it happening for at least 20-30 years.
    Well they are two different drugs with different problems but it will happen in my life time either way.

My crude analogy of how ridiculous it is to say people shouldn't smoke in public was meant to be silly. This is just one of those subjects that people will never see eye to eye on.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all for it.

Smoking affects other people (and it costs the government money in eventual medical expenses... but thats besides the point). You can use snuff or chew if you really need your nicotine, and those don't affect others. Smoking does affect others, and I'd be all for a ban in public places here.
    I always held you up as a libertarian of sorts. That is obviously not true. Oh well. I don't support a ban. I believe it's unconstitutional to ban smoking in bars and restaurants as well.

Aaron
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Ottawa, there's been a ban against smoking inside public buildings, and within several metres of a puclic building's entrance for over a year now. Possibly a few years... my memory is horrible. There have been upset smokers, and bar owners who don't want to kick the smokers outside, but other than a few of those, it's been well accepted.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can accept public buildings. I can't accept it for a bar (private property) that has a valid liquor license...that to me makes no sense.
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor