SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Weekend Traffic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gang,

One of the things I've always noticed is that weekend traffic (at least for my site) always goes down, and then it hits a peak on Monday and Tuesday.

That said, I'd like to know if other folks experience the same thing.

Do your log files seem lonely on Saturday and Sunday? Let's trade notes.
    Editor, J.K. Bowman
    Spider-Food.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that feeling. I am a school student so my website is only worked on at weekends.
    It is quite good that i have like only 60% weekday traffic on weekends.

I have a good trick to do with this though...
    If you are launching something like a script, submit it to like hotscripts on friday evening that way you end up getting more exposure for it. Because no one submits scripts on the weekend, it therefore stays in the new scripts list for a good few days...it helps.
    SiteOptions >> Services :: Products :: Contact
    Developers of PHP, C++, Visual Basic, MySQL, and more!

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too, especially for my old site, and is was directed towards all people, general, but for my paper site i have a very distinct patter. Monday tues and weds are high, thursday, friday, sat is low and sunday is the highest. It repeats itself every week, but on other sites i did notices that weekend traffic is always lower.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem. A good way to boost traffic though is to send your newsletter out ona Friday or Saturday night as that tends to bring the crowds in!

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt go as far as calling it a problem, i mean my traffic drops 20 %, but it still goes back up on mondays, i would call it more of a trend than a problem.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm what's called a monday morning surfer. I spend ages visiting URLs I find on newsletters, and indeed on sitepoint signatures on a monday and tuesday because i'm still recovering from the weekend and can't be bothered with actual work.

I hardly ever go anywhere near the 'net at weekends, too busy sleeping.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also applies to my sites. But I believe that some sites are getting more traffic at weekend (since I know myself surf more on weekend!)
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here. Traffic drops about 30% on weekends for my site. Glad to see it's not just me.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, me too. Traffic drops during Sat and Sun. However, the drop is not stable, it is around 10%-20%. But if it is a public holiday or a long weekend, it drops more. I think it is a trend.
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi folks

I used to teach a course in telephone traffic analysis. There are many characheristics that are identical.

The telephone (or system) admin that knows and understands a rather nebulous item called a "Community of Interest" is way ahead of the game.

A drop or increase in traffic is a characteristic of the action of one or more communities. Take a look at the traffic and note the hourly activity or if the traffic is light on your machine do it in 3 hour increments. Now try to relate the url to a geographical area, or time zone. Then were these folks at work. etc.etc.

And pretty soon the economics of your visitors is added, using the internet at home, office, etc.

This cannot be micromanaged but more like a football field where the end zone is lower priced than midfield.

But with a well designed customer model, the site offerings can be customized.

peace

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello dear friends.

Weekend is really a problem. I noticed the same thing. In my Internet team (BizWHat.com) I'm the one responsible for the trafic. I always see the angry faces on weekends.

The solution we managed is that we created a BizWhat-weekend edition. So, we do not have more trafic, but we do not espect it And that is it.

Since we are from Yugoslavia (democratic finaly we did not use to Not-Work-On-Weekends. Things are diferent here.

All the Best,
    Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu
    http://www.bizwhat.com
    BizWhat - Are You eMaking Money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

So for me to not talk at cross-purpose, i will say that the reason for understanding the visits is to config the page to meet those needs and....

consider the sum of all communities of interest as a 3 dimensional box. once we have good information about our visitor community, consider the expansion of that community by first meeting additional needs.

perhaps they are soccer fans, perhaps they collect antiques, etc. where is their economic strata.

meeting the weekend question, what is happening of interest during the weekend. if the customer base is retired New Yorkers in Florida, what is their interest. Maybe even developing an interest is what is needed. Finding (or creating) a need and meeting it.

here is one, i am in San Francisco and the Italian community enjoys Bacchi (sp) Ball. Talk to the group that does the tourneys and get someone to write a report for the site. Builds interest, adds visits. Very limited in scope but develops loyal visitors. The possibilities are endless.

make sure to modify the meta when you add an item.

peace

ed
    <Edited by edshuck on 11-27-2000 at 03:38 PM>

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To take this discussion further, one of the banner exchanges I use gives us an option of which days and times to display our adverts.

Does anybody know if people are more likely to make a purchase on particular days of the week so that we can blast our adverts out then?

Take care everyone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Nazran, I do not know but it seems to be that it would be a good thing to find out.

Lets "walk" that for a moment. Men, women, work, home, weekend, sports.

Do more men or women use the internet from work or home to shop.

This is stereotypical and probably lacks reality. Who shops on the weekend, is it women while men watch tv sports

Back to the earlier reply from Nazran, if you knew who shopped and when, targeting would be easier. Could you set up about 3 or 4 trial runs and track closely what happens. Remember that the larger the sample, the more accurate.

Also, seasonal variants.

All of it counts. Oh, also what is the purchase level in $, what are they buying? TV, Stereo, Car, Book, Honey Baked Hams, Fads (scooters, hula hoops). Build the model, constantly update the model and never ever discard the old one, for it may be cyclical.

peace

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the subject of your site also has a lot to do with the weekend traffic. My site is just te opposite of everyone else that has posted here. My traffic goes up a little on the weekends, and sales really increase. Maybe it's just the nature of my business, I'm not sure. mad-onion posted that he only got to work on his website on the weekend, and I guess that there are a lot of others that are the same way.
    James Shearon - info@unitedtec.net
    United Technologies - http://www.unitedtec.net
    Host multiple domais per account

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edshuck - you mention seasonal variations. What I did with the 1For1.com banner exchange that I use was to build up all the banners I was owed for the last six months. And I'm using them now, in the run-up to Xmas because people are more likely to buy things.

I read somewhere that, for some business, up to 70% of their sales are in the last quarter of the year.

That figure - 70% - does sound a bit OTT though. Anybody else know if it's true or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Absolutely, and in the situation you describe, do a push for sales, keep an eye on the traffic. And if there are any shifts in the sales, try to note what happened at that time and how traffic was affected. I also recommend taking notes for a later, more detailed look into problems and opportunities. Save all the stats!!

peace

ed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again.

I believe that on the Internet exists some sort of survays about who-is-when-on-the-web. They can be found on a lot of places. I do not know where thet can be foung for free, but there is something like that in the eMarketer reports. They are quite expensive for small enterprenours. You can found them on my site , or on the emarker's...

All the best,

Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu
    http://www.bizwhat.com
    BizWhat - Are You eMaking Money?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best traffic comes on Sundays and Mondays. I nearly get quadruple the traffic.

My site is a Football site, that could explain this phenomenon.
    Andrew Tatum
    FinHeaven & Co - Get Drenched With Finformation
    The FinHeaven & Co Forums

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My traffic drops off on the weekend, too...but not nearly as much as I thought...

Only 20% of my traffic comes in through the "front door"...60% of the traffic comes from one particular page in the site...as most of the repeat visitors have bookmarked one particular page...

I thought I was only getting 300 visitors a day...but I am actually getting 1300 visitors a day...

It really only drops off on the front page...

my 2 cents..

Kat
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kat and WebMasterAJ

Perfect points.

For Kat, the key is to keep the information current and know where the research is going and the obvious reason for the visits is the type of site and the level of understanding support provided.

I do not think there are as many opportunities to improve the site as there are possibilies for expanded awareness of the site. It is beautifully done.

This football thing, if it is American, can you exchange links with some of the usenet news groups? Or will they give you a one time mention.

But do check out on the newsgroups, the various football groups.

peace

<Edited by edshuck on 11-29-2000 at 06:36 PM>

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually switched reporting programs...now I'm using Urchin Reports...they tell me which page people come in...where they exit the stite, and let's me follow their trail throught the site...

It's pretty cool...

I don't really mind where they come in...It was just good information to know...

My site crashed a few weeks ago, and I thought "that's impossible...I don't have that much traffic!"...not realizing that it was coming from another part of the site...

oh well...bye 4 now!

kat
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Per the main subject of the thread, Weekend Traffic...

I've repeatedly seen the figure that weekend traffic across the 'Net generally drops about 20% over the weekends. [I will try to locate some of the links where I've seen this.]

Our own sites also all show around 18-22% drops over the weekend -- though, of course, this is very much going to depend on the nature of the site.

It makes sense if you think about it... a very large proportion of Internet traffic these days is from people who are at work; and, of course, on weekends, one does have to take time to mow the lawn, rake the leaves, beat the cat, etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For my site, Thursday-Saturday traffic is generally low, while Sunday-Wednesday is the highest.

It's ironic how I heard Saturday is the most-browsed day of the week, yet our traffic goes down.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My traffic goes down on Saturday too, maybe it depends what market audience youa re aiming your site at I suppose. But as mentioned above, conducting a user needs analysis on the web is very difficult as most of your visitors encompass all different types of user groups.