SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking for an alternate way to back-up my hard drive other then the standard utility software that comes with Windows 98. Has anyone used Norton Ghost?

I checked out their Web site and it sounds ideal, however, I'm not sure that it would be worth the $70. The site mentions cloning. Would I actually be copying my entire hard drive to another disk? Or is that just for moving PC to PC?

Thanks
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Norton Ghost is an excellent and really useful package.

What it does is copy your entire local drive to either another drive or a .GHO file.

Here's what I do with it:

Every few months I make a backup of my entire HD and save it as a .GHO file, but I tell it to split the information up into .GHO files of 640MB. Then I copy those onto CD-ROM. When my computer keeled over a few weeks back I booted from the ghost disk, fed it the CD-ROMs and restored my entire HDD - life saving!

We also use it for installing software on laptops for training events. Sticking a CD in and leaving it to it is much easier that manually installing umpteen programs and Windows.

$70 actually sounds pretty cheap too, we paid 50 for our copy, which I'm pretty sure is more than $70

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your feedback. So if my system were to crash, I'd just use the bootdisk and then feed my CD's in? No reinstalling Windows or anything? Everything is just as it is and where it was before? Can you also back-up smaller groups of files for weekly or daily back-ups?

Thanks again!
    Westmich

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use ghost on a regular basis such as has been describer. I totally recommend it although I warn you to be very careful, as it is not very user friendly and the first time I used it I successfully managed to wipe my hard disk!

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicky's right, don't go plodding around without looking at the manual like i'm prone to do!

You might need to make sure that your boot disk with the Ghost software is configured to load your CD-ROM driver so you can actually access the drive.

As far as backing up a few files, I think for that you're best off just copying them to ZIP or something, Ghost does a great job of backing up entire disks, but isn't so good at backing up individual files as it's main use it to clone entire drives.

But you're right, because every file on your PC will be back as it was, all your OS configuration and software installations will be there intact.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again! I picked-up the software today and I'll be sure to read the manual first.
    Westmich

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its really useful...I have a Ghost image of my PC freshly loaded with Win2k, Office and a few other programs I need so that if/when reformatting is needed that cd will reload the OS and all my essential programs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last question, I promise

The book isn't crystal clear on this point and I hate to wait til my computer crashes to find out.

I have two CD drives: the default it came with and a burner. I know that the default is bootable. If I create a boot disk (3.5 floopy) for the burner CD, will I then be able to use my CD burner to reinstall my Ghost Image? I would like to use CD-RW's for back-up.

In other words, if my system totally crashes I would insert my 3.5 boot disk in and restart. I would then be prompted to insert disk one into my CD burner drive and begin the reinstall process. Right?

Thanks again.
    Westmich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind - I think I've got it all figured out
    Westmich