SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm bored. Anyone have a good idea for a new project?

Ok, so I'm done with my existing projects and I'm looking for a new one to do on the side. Does anyone have any ideas? Please no suggestions like "How about a content management system?" Please be specific. Like "How about a package for magazines to keep track of their subscriptions?" or even more complex like "How about a package for magazine resellers to keep track of their offers and orders?" You get the picture? Yes, I am REALLY bored.

While I'm here and on the subject, has anyone here written a package using PHP/MySQL and sold it either standalone or as a service? I would really love to be able to find a company who is looking for a custom CMS and then write it, then set it up for them (preferably on their own inhouse server) and then be done with it (aside from necessary support or possibly updates). Or do you set them up with a web hosting company, install their package and tell them "Ok, now it's between you and the webhost"? Or do you find somewhere to host the site, and pay for the hosting, and then charge the client a monthly "service fee"? I don't know where to start. Do you start with the client and sell them on a not-yet-existing product? Or do you make the product (at least a shell) and then find a buyer who could use it?

And please, I am not looking for a job offer, a lead on a job offer, or even dollar values from other people. Please do not reply with any of this information because the forum admins will strike this post down (and I won't get any feedback). I'm only looking for information from people who might have already "been there, done that". I consider myself skilled in Apache, PHP, MySQL development (I haven't come to a point where "I just couldn't figure it out" yet), but I don't consider myself a "programmer" or "developer", and I don't know why. Soy un perdedor.

Ok, so now you REALLY see how bored I am. Or maybe I'm just looking for someone to talk to. Is there anyone out there to talk to? It's not easy being me.

Ok, I'll go now. But please, someone please answer one of my two questions above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - website

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, i'll see what I can do for him and/or her

Anyone else?

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a problem a couple of weeks ago that I went hunting for an open source solution and came up empty handed.

I needed to ask a series of questions in a hierarchy, that is, the answer to one question determined the next potential question to ask. When I did a STFW, I only came up with two types of solutions: polls and questionaires (with fixed sets of questions).

I ended up coming up with my own solutions to the problem, but it is very custom and not amenable to an open source solution.

Perhaps that is an idea you could work with.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatje
    I needed to ask a series of questions in a hierarchy, that is, the answer to one question determined the next potential question to ask.
    Tell me more about what you were looking for. How many questions were there to start with? How many levels deep did it go? And is it possible to take more than one route to the same question?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the three dimensional mapping of a fantasy world using rooms based on the 10 cardinal directions instead of latitude and longitude.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    How about the three dimensional mapping of a fantasy world using rooms based on the 10 cardinal directions instead of latitude and longitude.
    Speak slower, I'm not that bright. All I heard was something about three maps of my fantasies in different rooms with birds with attitudes and ********s. I can draw that with crayons, but I don't think I could program that

eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sojomy
    Tell me more about what you were looking for. How many questions were there to start with? How many levels deep did it go? And is it possible to take more than one route to the same question?
    In my particular case, any given path might take you through seven or eight questions before ariving at a) a solution or b) punt (email). The same question might be asked at different points. There was also a need for about six different hierarchys of questions for this particular application.

I did not want the solution to end up too customized, so I model question_application_groups (a related set of hierarchies), question_application (a single hierarchy), questions , question_answers, question_type (yes/no, multiple choice radio, select, etc.), node, node_answer_action.

Each question_application would designate a "root node" where the heirarchy would start. Each time a node was created, you would designate which question (belonging to the current question_application) the node was assosiated with. You could also change the node_answer_actions to say if the answer should lead to another question, lead to a solution or lead to the end of the line.

Here is a sample of the early interface for editing the questions.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speak slower, I'm not that bright. All I heard was something about three maps of my fantasies in different rooms with birds with attitudes and ********s. I can draw that with crayons, but I don't think I could program that
    It is a project that I am working on. I play an online MUD which is quite large, something like 100,000 rooms. These rooms are not to scale. For example one room may be 100 X 100 feet and the next room is 10 X 10 feet. Yet, they are represented the same in the game. Not only that by one room may actually open up to 100 new rooms that wouldn't fit in the scale of the original map. Add to this the fact that the map is actually two-dimensional and doesn't take advantage of common mapping systems such as latitude/longitude and degrees.

Since the maps for the game are out of date, what I want to do is enter each room into a MySQL database with its exits (n,s,e,w,nw,ne,sw,se,u,d) and use PHP and GD to generate maps on the fly. The maps would basically be grid based with a square representing each room and lines representing the exits.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if one room opens up to 100 rooms, how will you designate their exit (n,s,e,w,etc)?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The general premise is to develop the software first, then attempt to punt it onto your current/new clients either leased (ie Payment Per Month) or a licence (ie One Off Payment). Which ever road you go down though, there is always product support and upgrades to think about; then a client might want some customisation done which you charge for either per hour or as is.

As to ideas, I was thinking about something along the lines of a photo gallery; though instead of photo's it'd be mp3 albums instead... ? Just an idea I have though... Could prove to be popular with all those indie bands out there with no recording contract ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a service which just processes bounced emails.

go to my pop address
    get a list of bouncing addresses..

give me or my website a list of bouncing addresses

with XML or RSS

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    current trends might indicate a properly functional photo-blog could get attention - basically a blog plus images.

might write one of them myself soon

another (also image related) idea is email+attached-photo gallery updater - a mailer daemon configured to a thumbnailer and usual gallery update type thingy.

or indeed combine the two and do a wap-piccy-phone auto photo-blog update script.
    teckis - that's news to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a blog?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Know a log ? Well basically an app that can create one or more logs As I believe... You can then let out accounts for other sites to create their own web log... thus you charge a fee as well no ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's a blog?
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/b/blog.html [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    - website

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrong again... Umm... At least now we both know what a blog is right ? ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi sojomy,
    Thanks for starting this thread it's just given me an idea to get myself out of my coding boredom - Pootergeist's photoblog idea.

Did anyone ever start on the other ideas mentioned here?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The online MP3 Albulm ? Nope, not yet Still think it's a sound idea though and could be very profitable though ?

One problem I've arrived at though is to determine the client download speed, ie 56k Modem, DSL or Cable etc ?

Then the choice of which MP3 compatable player to use... WinAmp for example ? RealPlayer ?

Thinking seriously about Real Player myself as you can configure it etc from Javascript dynamically which sound really smart...

... And for a later addition there are your Internet Ready Portables ie Hand Helds which are capable of playing MP3 as well to design/research for though to be honest this would be best suited to Java.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about a CVS system? what im planning on starting in a few days. basically a tracking system where you can post "to dos" and give other people access, and people can post bugs and things like that.

crap, i just added a bunch of idea and accidently pressed back and lost it.

well heres what i had in mind, something ive been meaning to do for a while but havent had time:

design a database solution that stores everything in text files or some sort of data file that can be stored along with the other sites files, and the developer can use it the same way they would use a mysql database, using SQL or some other format. it would be like a class or something of that sort that they just include into their script and it can be used that way...like if the server doesn't have mysql or some other databasing solution, they can just use this which sorta sits along with the rest of their files, and they can a sort of database. just an idea.