SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Everyone,

Please note right off the bat that this is not a promotion, or self-promotion, it's just a great book.

"The Non-Designers Design Book" By Robin Williams should be on every true designers desk. It outlines not only visual design tips but also Typographic (fonts, etc.) choice tips. By the end of this book, I was able to rate web sites better and make my own web site smokin'. There are four main principals to web design. They are:

-Proximity
    -Alignment
    -Repetition
    -Contrast

Her book thouroughly goes through them all and gives very helpful samples. The yellow and purple cover may seem funny, but it's a very professional book that i'd reccommend to ANYONE. Here's the info on the book:

Title: The Non-Designers Design Book
    Author: Robin Williams
    Publisher: Peachpit Press
    Cost: 14.95 (a while ago, price has probably come down).

I guaruntee, you will NEVER look at design the same way again.
    Sean Killeen [LinkedIn] [Twitter] [Web]

Warning: Reality.sys corrupted. Universe halted. Reboot? (Y/N)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like she is dealing with visual layout. While the visual layout is important, it is only one facet in the overall design of a Web site.

IMHO, I would stress navigation and content above visual appeal.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "The Non-Designers Design Book" is one book (well one of many!) that I have wanted to pick up since reading several reviews ~~ I really need to read it out before it too is completely out of date ~~

The best way that I approach all the various books, articles and webmaster resources available now is to try and take something from each one that will contribute to my total web building experience ~~ I agree that we should never emphasize one aspect of design to the detriment of others. Again it does depend upon the type of website that you are creating. But we all have to admit some sites really lack creativity of design ~ whereas others could use a less creativity! They don't seem to know what type of site they want to project...

It is often debated 'just exactly what' can be described as the profile of today's webmaster ~~ designer? or coder? ~~ Whatever the conclusion, I have respect for those that can do it all...but not all of us can!
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To both of you:

First of all, Westmich, she IS stressing visual layout. And i absolutely argree with you about navigation. It is my biggest pet peave on the web. I just believe that this book is still a must have for visual layout.

Also, WebKat..This book will NEVER be out of date, because you will always have to have visual appeal for something, and this book will show you how to make something visually appealing to anyone, even if they don't know why.

Thanks to both of you for reading my review.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ~goober~ I agree with you that Visual Appealing will hold me there, but quality Content will keep me there when their Navigation helps me find it fast! Any website needs to include them all...

Thanks for your thoughts on the design book! ~ I'm off to the bookstore
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly...That's what I tell anyone who asks. But i've never seen a better book on this topic.