Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my Portfolio site

Hi. I would really appreciate some feedback on my portfolio site. All comments are welcome!

http://www.stevelamb.net

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The beginning of the website looked quite enjoyable and I laughed the two characters, that delivered a certain type of identity or even story telling. Beginning at your actual portfolio and below it seemed as if you have rushed to finish off the design. I may be wrong and you may have done it intentionally, but it really just does not match the rest of the design. Especially the contact form could use some attention, as some of the text is outside of the box, for example by typing a "q".
    Your top navigation bar is too tiny concerning it's height. All of the text is crunched into it. By clicking one of the links, it scrolls to the specific location, which is a good concept indeed, but the speed is a bit too fast. Be easy on the eyes, even if it involves animations. You don't want to get your visitors all dizzy, right?
    The last thing involves the typography. If you haven't already, I recommend reading a few articles or even a few books about it, as the line-height seems to be entirely off, there are too many sizes and the different weights make it impossible to know the difference between headings and "just large text".

I hope this helps you to improve your website

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodou View Post
    line-height seems to be entirely off, there are too many sizes and the different weights make it impossible to know the difference between headings and "just large text".
    Thanks for the feedback. Is there a specific part of my site where you think the line-height is off? Also, a specific place on the site where it's confusing whether something is a heading or "just large text"?

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is good. Link your home page with the all your logos and you might concentrate on the fonts and their sizes.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website looks good. Just add more creativity in your contact details box. Add link on logo because people always click on logo to go on home page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website looks nice, though it looks like you grabbed a template somewhere.... Make some changes to make it look more unique

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website quite nice. Simple and matching with the colors.
    About two monkeys, its not important but it can make people interested with your website
    But, when i open your website on my netbook, its not fit with the screen.

overall i like the interface.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This web is outstanding and impressive for the reaction of Scroll Down.
    Yes, as portfolio website, you can feel free to use your imagination.
    I think your image is a little vague not corresponding to the effect of whole webpage. You may change a clear one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the above critique that the illustrations and layout are very creative and interesting, but the contact area doesn't fit stylistically with the rest. It's pretty dull - the rest of your site is really nice. Maybe just make the contact area more like the rest of your site? Add another illustration there perhaps? Other than that, good work.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give you my honest opinion, but you must have in mind that everyone has a different approach/point of view and different taste...So dont get angry if you dont like it :-)

I think that you have nice idea for website but you done in it a rush. Didn't actually planned it all the way...
    I really like your background and mostly those 2 caracters, they are nice touch and really get users attention.
    Users with 17" screen will be little confused (should they scroll to the right or not).
    And bottom of website looks like it is someone elses work, it just don't feel in with the rest of your website...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Steve, had a good look through your site, The "only" issue I have is that some of the inserted pictures/graphics are not a very good standard, I believe you when you say you took them yourself so there from the heart . Just make them a bit sharper, but other than that no problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, I really love your idea of scroll down. But one thing I don't really love in the text font. It looks simple and boring
    In "who am I " section, you should include your skill and your interest, it will attract people.
    The contact me section, you should add some funny images that encourage people to contact .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethos View Post
    Hi. I would really appreciate some feedback on my portfolio site. All comments are welcome!

Thanks!
    This is just me (and the general opinion of a lot of clients I personally have landed) I want to see a telephone number and an address in the about me or contact areas on the site. Good design concepts at work there.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site is really cool. A very good showcase for a portfolio. Amazing movement with the scrolling. What would you call that technique? I honestly have not seen anything like it. I've seen similar scrolling techniques achieved with flash, but this looks like it was all done with css. Is that true? How is that accomplished? I guess I'm the only one who hasn't seen this kind of technique, because nobody else seems that impressed by it and some comments seemed really nit-picky with their criticisms.
    However, I would have to agree with some of the criticisms of your site, but my biggest criticism would be that as cool as the "scroll action" is, I cannot see much practical use for it. I think in most instances, it would be distracting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used opera mini browser to view the web site. I don't know whether there is special reason or you have done this by mistske - the full stop(dot) after each top menu link i.e. work, about, case studies and contact.
    Second thing the work images you posted are not so impressing in the sence of content rich design i.e. The designs are for small 2-4 pages web site, you may include some text content rich designs.
    Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Nice parallax scrolling inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Zethos View Post

Thanks!
    Nice parallax scrolling inspiration

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    System Used
    ===========
    Resolution 1366 x 768
    System Type: Laptop
    CPU: Intel Core i7
    Ram: 8 Gb
    Browser: Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m
    Language: Dutch
    Cable: 50 Mbit

Review
    ======
    Loading: Website loading was oke. But a bit slow.

When I first opened the website my initial reaction was: "well, this is different".

Personally I wanted to click away at first (and would have if I wasn't going to review the website). This mainly because it didn't feel like a website. It felt more like a slide show.

From a UX designer point of view I can see why the website was build like this and it is an interesting take on building a website. But the navigation just wasn't working for me. I felt getting lost all the time and not knowing what to do next.

I think the website would have been a lot more clear if pages slided in instead of me having to put the page in the right spot myself (meaning it only shows the work page or only shows the contact page. You might be able to do this with javascript (something like if scrolled x then snap in to place).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unique design! I've never personally seen the 'scroll down' idea. However (and maybe this is more of an issue for people with motion sickness ), I'm not a big fan of how the website scrolls down quickly when you select one of the buttons in the top, right-hand corner of the site (E.g., about me, case studies). Also, small detail, but I would change the order of your Skills to "good at" "getting better at" "really good at" so it follows a more logical progression from left to right.

SitePoint Enthusiast Belsnickle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal stuff that I dislike:
    Honestly, it's way too complicated for showing off design ability. It more seems 'like look at this fancy thing I could do instead of using a slider which has the same effect but makes you do more work!', since it's a css3 effect you might as well just do animations though even then you're still doing more to effectively show less and having to format your page with javascript to work in older IEs for that effect is just wasting load time and page real estate. At the very least your scroll down should be a link to the appropriate page space to get the next text block lined up appropriately.

You have a lot of unused real estate for the sake of effects and because of the way your site is designed you actually lose functionality when users use it like a website. The buttons at the top mean no down scrolling text, the down scrolling means no nice looking content placement, and the horizontal scroll guarantees that things overlap and show through, particularly at the contact form. It also means sections like your About section aren't bound to browser height in any significant way and are over sized compared to the rest of your sections, there's no horizontal consistency. Really I don't see any functional reason why this isn't four pages instead of one really tall page, and certainly there are a number of issues that would be alleviated significantly were it multiple pages instead.

At the very least you could use JQuery to cause the other sections to hide when not visible on the screen. If it all has to be on one page you should be designing it to function like people will use it, like a multi-page site or slideshow.

It's got a few problems, particularly in IE, that were missed in your site header on load.

Your twitter widget is a higher z-index than your sticky header.

I have a 17" laptop screen, there is no conceivable reason why I should have a horizontal scroll bar on your site when you don't have anything in that extra width. The average laptop size is 15" and should be the largest size you're expecting users to use your site in. It's not horrible but it is a bit annoying.

Nitty Gritty Big Problems:
    Your site is very very slow, like takes 34 seconds to initially load slow, mostly because you're sending a whopping 7.4 MB of data. Even on a secondary load you still send almost ~35kb and it takes nearly 3.5 seconds to load which it should be nearly instantaneous. That's not even counting the fact that the last page elements don't even get sent, second load, until 1.6 minutes. That's how long it takes to get the first response from your twitter feed, the last element to load before that? Finished at 1.3 minutes in and, again, that's on the second load after I'd cached everything that the browser automatically does. No client is EVER going to like the idea of selling internally a site that loads this slow. Your goal should be to get as close to your DOM load time as possible, in the case 3.5 seconds, and then do what you can to reduce that too since 3.5 isn't 35 seconds but it's still on the high end of what a reasonable load time is, it's certainly much lower priority though..

Your fonts look HORRIBLE in webkit, or at least in chrome. Extremely pixelated, additionally because you're using creative cloud fonts instead of web standard fonts, and because you're basically calling the whole library, you're loading waaaaay more resources than you need.(331 KB for a base 64 encoded css file not including the size or load time of the individual fonts which are also bloated due to encoding).

As an addendum to the last point; use less pngs and enable gzip. Work with browser compression, you're sending absurd amounts of large files to the clients machine and it causes your site to be very slow on load. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...en-best-to-use. Things like your submit button don't need to be PNGs and you're actually sending images to load that you aren't even using. Your screenshot pngs are taking over 2 seconds a piece and they aren't even visible initially, as such they shouldn't be being pre-cached and since you're building a pop up anyway you may as well call them with that javascript so that loading time is offloaded to when it's actually relevant and can be substituted with a loading spinner. The screenshot image spam is your single biggest opportunity and if you address this not only will the load difference be notable it will be extremely so in a world where cutting off 1 second of load time is considered phenomenal you'll be getting 2-3 per individual image which, in this case is something like 30-40% of your load time overhead.

Call your css before your javascript otherwise the javascript makes the css wait while it applies it's script. I'm also showing 25% of your CSS called on the page isn't used at all. That's a lot of bloat, if it's browser specific stuff causing it you may as well simply apply the style sheets by browser, additionally things like below can be merged more to reduce the pre-cache file size. Your index style sheet is 75kb which isn't horrible but in context of all the other stuff you're pushing out data wise you're at the point where everything you can cut down on you need to be and there's some low hanging fruit in there.

Code:
    #u4735-4
    {
    	z-index: 570;
    	width: 99px;
    	min-height: 97px;
    	border-color: #FFFFFF;
    	background-color: #FFFFFF;
    	-moz-border-radius: 74px;
    	-webkit-border-radius: 74px;
    	-khtml-border-radius: 74px;
    	border-radius: 74px;
    	font-size: 27px;
    	color: #000000;
    	line-height: 0.94;
    	text-align: center;
    	font-family: source-sans-pro, sans-serif;
    	font-weight: 300;
    	position: relative;
    	margin-right: -10000px;
    	left: 660px;
    }

#u4735-4:hover
    {
    	border-color: #000000;
    	background-color: #000000;
    	padding-top: 0px;
    	padding-bottom: 0px;
    	margin: 0px -10000px 0px 0px;
    }

#u4735-4:hover p
    {
    	color: #FFFFFF;
    	visibility: inherit;
    }

#u4733-4
    {
    	z-index: 566;
    	left: 773px;
    }

#u4733-4:hover
    {
    }

#u4735-4:active p,#u4733-4:hover p
    {
    }

#u4730-6
    {
    	z-index: 560;
    	line-height: 0.85;
    	text-align: left;
    	left: 885px;
    }

#u4730-6:hover
    {
    }

#u4733-4:active p,#u4730-6:hover p
    {
    }

#u4730-4
    {
    	padding-left: 9px;
    	padding-top: 24px;
    }

#u4736-4
    {
    	z-index: 574;
    	left: 997px;
    }

#u4736-4:hover
    {
    }

#u4735-4:active,#u4733-4:active,#u4730-6:active,#u4736-4:active
    {
    	border-color: #313131;
    	background-color: #504F4F;
    }

#u4730-6:active p,#u4736-4:hover p
    {
    }

#u4736-4:active p
    {
    }

#u4735-2,#u4733-2,#u4736-2
    {
    	padding-left: 1px;
    	padding-top: 35px;
    }
    Random note: Use Google for your jquery, particularly since you already have an open connection to their server and don't have to open a new one to a separate server like you're currently doing. Google's resources will be better updated anyway as your version of jquery is a few versions out of date, though I'm not sure if that's intentional.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not much of a fan of the animation scrolling which has appeared recent, notably on many of Apple's web pages. It's a very controlled experience which does not allow the user to choose which portions of the website they are interested in. In your case, this may be a good thing, but overall, it feels a bit too weird. It is definitely better than something built with flash, but I'm not sure that it's better than a standard, well-designed web page.

Some portions of the design feel a bit sloppy. Case Studies is not aligned properly on the title bar when you scroll down. There is also an in-balance in that title bar's padding that looks a bit odd (no padding on the bottom. A bit on the top). The twitter widget appears above the title bar when you scroll over it. The white-on-light-blue is difficult to read, and the addition of the black into the mix looks a bit ugly. The gray colors on the contact form do not look good.

On the other hand, the artwork is very well done. That's definitely the best portion. The "Work" heading also looks good, including the text, color, and images.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve.

Cool website.
    Don't like the contact form very much though, I think you can do better than that!

The "good design can" part does not work very well with my mouse it is never aligned with the second part.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall a good looking site. I know this template and you changed it nicely to your needs except for a couple of things;
    • The about section is not really very clean, it looks like you rushed to put this together. To many font-styles, different line-heights and weird over the top margins at the bottom
    • As an UX-designer I expect more from somebody in responsive design. Your site is scalable on tablet, phones but in my opinion it should be fully responsive, especially because you use a parallax template.This is not very difficult and maybe you rushed a little to get the site online.
    • And as mentioned a couple of time, your contact form just doesn't fit in your design. The send button is suddenly this weird green which you don't use anywhere on your site, and although I like big font usage it's not very usefull in a form like this.

again, it's not nagging but only eye-openers which you maybe didn't see or thought of.
    Best part I think is the illustrations which are aa personal touch and people are interested in that =)
    cheers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, nice site. Definitely on trend. Comments are as follows:

1) When I click on any navigation in the top right, the whole navigation bar jumps around. Visually it doesn't look that great.

2) The 'Work' link only shows part of each avatar and not all of the text.

3) Would add more design aesthetics under your "Interests" because of all the whitespace after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall: nice webiste.

I agree with most of the reviews that mention the contact form. It looks out of place.

The lightbox needs more work too. Don't use the letter x for close. Use instead (HTML code: or ×)
    Same for the < and > -- doesn't look too good. Try (HTML code: &lsaquo; and &rsaquo;) or use an icon font.

When you click on the case study in the nav, it will be a good idea to have it auto-expand too instead of having to click it to expand.

The parallax looks great in Firefox but not so much in Chrome because it doesn't have smooth scrooling and is too choppy.
    However, you can add a plugin to have it smooth scroll in chrome too: <snip/>

I get a horizontal scroller which is kind of annoying. Quick fix is body{overflow-x:hidden}. <snip/>

The photo of you can be better quality.

Good luck!

-Miro
    Last edited by Mittineague; Oct 1, 2013 at 21:56. Reason: please read the FAQ

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really like your website, takes a little long for me to download, i am on 4G wireless in Australia though.