User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

website about Marine conservation

Hi,

so i got a review earlier in the year for the draft re-vamped version of my site and now it's been up and running for a while i just wanted to check it was still heading in the right direction. It's also a bit of a fact finding mission people in my organisation are starting to want changes without having a basis for wanting them other than they want them, so i'd love an overview type of feedback (technical observations also gratefully received).

http://www.mcsuk.org/

So i guess what do you think? If you were/are into marine related matters would you see it as a useful website and likely to return? Is it too bland or news orientated? or not enough news? anything you'd expect to see that isn't there? what are you impressions of the site?

Many thanks
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very good actually - I like that you have lots of content and apparently people are sharing it too because I see all of the high Twitter tweet counts for each post. It seems that you are quite active on this site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your design, the slider is good

SitePoint Enthusiast leafspirit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty, initial impressions...

Well, the cookie notification is nice, but I think you're wasting valuable screen real estate with it. You could use a welcome message up there linking to your core message or something you want to draw the reader's attention to. Almost every website uses cookies these days, just notify your users in your privacy policy and you're alright.

I like your slider. The big square linking to your "what we do" page is good, it catches my eye even though it's right next to the slider, and I imagine for new visitors it's a great place to start. I would change the text up a little some though. Maybe make it more of a CTA to click there, since I barely noticed the "Read more" bit at the bottom.

I think it works really great as a news site. If I were interested in marine matters, this would be a site I subscribe to. I don't really have too much else to critique, except to say that I really like your logo.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool thanks. interestingly my new boss isn't loving the big square bit so its good that you do i think maybe he is in agreement with you though about making the 'read more' bit more obvious so maybe more button like to make it stand out.

Not sure where you are in the world so i'll explain the cookie message a bit. a couple of years ago the EU decided everyone needed to be told about cookies if you use them on your site, so any european site should ask the user if its ok to use cookies before giving them the page. Very few people did this to the letter and instead have similar to what i've done, which just says we have cookies if you continue you agree to us using them.

It was all a big waste of everyones time and effort as google and ebay etc who were the worst offenders just paid fines and carried on as before. Its only been in the last year that google now also have started putting a cookie policy up in a similar way.

Either way its a 'agree to have cookies on your machine or don't use our site' message to cover our behinds

Glad you like the site.

any other comments welcomed good or bad.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a nice site. Just some things I felt about it:

Perhaps find a way to make the navbar links have more of a button look, or maybe just some kind of border-bottom giving it structure. It already has good looking hover popups, but having them come out of plain-looking links is a bit incongruous.

I would expect the initial navbar links to take me somewhere, even though there is a popup extended menu. Clicking the initial navbar links should take people where clicking the popup's title takes them.

The big strip might be better in blue rather than the orange/cream? For the marine/water feel?

Just fyi, AdBlock blocks the carousel at the bottom.

Using the site's top-left Font size options changes the sizes only a very tiny amount for me.

General idea for the future: make the homepage welcome tab more exciting. maybe have the about-us info on the right column and put a more engaging article/picture on the left? You've already got the what we do picture-link under the search bar.

SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Noppy, I've some details:
    • The link "read how to disable cookies" is empty, but I understand you like cookies.
    • The "Font size - A A" option is a good one, but there is hardly any difference (still rather small).
    • Aha, (only) looking inside the responsible javascript function, I see that new clicks on the big A do enlarge again, in steps of 1px more. That is not clear for the visitor. I should name them "Font size: A- ... A+", or better: use a procession of scaled A's, like over here.
    • I see the visitor has to set the fontsize option for each page apart. If you give it a (session-) cookie (and ask for that cookie on each page), that is not needed: then the given size is maintained across the whole site.
    • The font-sizes in the css are all in % (good!), but the javascript converts it in px. That means that after a font scaling with the script, an Internet Explorer visitor cannot use the IE menu fontscaling anymore. I should set the javascript scaling also in %.
    • If javascript is disabled, the fontsize option doesn't work. Then this option should be hidden (as in the link above)
    • The logo has not to much contrast between the orange "conservation society" and the white background. I suppose the colors are the company colors, but I should pimp it up a bit, and give it a more prominent role by some 3d shadow. If saved as a png instead of a jpg, the sharpness is better (no jpg-blurring), while the png has even a somewhat smaller filesize as the jpg.

original, 19kB jpg

new, 18kB png

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I like the site just thought i'd point out a couple of things:

Strangely there is no link to 'read on' for the 1st & 2nd news posts, and no social buttons? I assume this is because the articles are not very long so can fit on the main page but it would be nice for SEO if they linked to separate pages.

The 1st thing i went looking for was a 'donate' section. The site may benefit from having a 'Donate' header in the main nav bar. I imagine this is one of the primary goals for the site so a bit more exposure wouldn't hurt. It think the Red Cross do it really well and you seem to get a good idea of where your money is going - http://www.redcross.org.uk/Donate-Now

I think there should be clearer call to actions on the news pages. There's some good info but after you've read an article theres no clear message on what to do next. For example, the 'increasing mackerel stock' article could include a link at the bottom such as 'if you want to find out more about what we do for the sea, view HERE and find out how to get involved'. This should increase the flow of the site and increase the pages per visit.

I like the youtube videos, perhaps these could embedded on parts of the site?

Keep up the good work!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the page, its quite easy to find information there.

I would not show the information about cookies in the home page, it uses a lot of screen space. Also i would not put the information about the company (like address and so on in the footer), you could make a new page in the navbar called contacs for that, and give more information.

The Facebook like button in the right sidebar is hard to notice, i think you should put it in a more visible space, or you could put a plugin, which would show the number of likes with the pictures (would be more noticeable). Your facebook page has 16 000+ likes, but in the page it shows only ~4000...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks all that's some really useful feedback. i will look at implementing quite a few of those suggestions.

many thanks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your website looks like amazing and the sidebars look like great simply great website