SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: IE moves up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Internet Explorer now makes up 86% of the browser use (http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-2154356.html?tag=st.int.3779-8-3607741-1.txt.1006-200-2154356).

Is anyone using Netscape 6? Do you think it will ever gain the popularity back it once had?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use IE and like it very much.
    Paul Goodman
    www.thestands.com- Talk Sports and surf our network of sites.
    paul@thestands.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NS is too buggy and has too many compatibility problems. I don't use it at all. I didn't even install it when I got my last laptop.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the latest version of Seamonkey (Mozilla) most of the time. It's quite similar to NS 6.0 (d'oh ) and it's much faster

I use Seamonkey about 96% of the time, NS 4.76 about 3.9% and IE... well... not many times
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not suprising. NS screwed themselves by trying to jump from version 4.7 to version 6. To say the least, they failed miserably...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were also better before AOL bought them out...

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They weren't better before aol bought them.

If aol hadn't bought them they wouldn't be coming out with a version 6, they'd still be at 4.7 They were a dying company, aol saved them.

I think they still have potential, just like microsoft can reach lots of people via its operating system. Aol can reach lots of people through aol, icq, and the like.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's good to think about what would have happened if Netscape would have 'died'. IE would be used by 99.9% of the people on the internet, or even more, since Microsoft would have used its unique 'tactics' and crushed small companies who are making browsers too (like Opera and some less known).

I don't trust MS, thus I don't like IE. It's not because the way IE works or anything, but just the fact that MS is dangerous and extremely harmfull for the computer market.
    I see NS therefore as the last real obstacle on the way towards 'total' domination of the browser market by MS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netscape is owned by AOL. I don't see how anyone can complain about Microsoft's dominance and ignore AOL's. They are accused of the same tactics. They bought out Compuserve, one of their only real rivals (other than Microsoft's MSN). Even though they own Netscape, they continue to use MS IE as their browser. They are the largest ISP in the world, and they could very easily influence the browser wars by switching browsers themselves. My guess is that they will switch once their contract runs out with MS or they get the buggy Netscape software working.

BTW, I'm not complaining about either Microsoft or AOL, just pointing out the inconsistency of complaining about MS without complaining about AOL. I say more power to them. I don't resent their success. I'd just like to be able to duplicate it.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    I don't trust MS, thus I don't like IE. It's not because the way IE works or anything, but just the fact that MS is dangerous and extremely harmfull for the computer market.
    I see NS therefore as the last real obstacle on the way towards 'total' domination of the browser market by MS.
    Which multi-billion dollar companies do you trust? Is it safe to assume by this reasoning that you don't drive a car, watch TV, or use a computer. How are you accessing this site?
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Westmich, in the past, MS has shown us many dirty tricks to get rid of competitors, which is something you can't possible say about other companies (IBM, Oracle, Netscape).

It's well known that fair play is unknown to MS and that they will do everything possible to become the #1.

They've lost all my trust years ago.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Elledan
    Westmich, in the past, MS has shown us many dirty tricks to get rid of competitors, which is something you can't possible say about other companies (IBM, Oracle, Netscape).

It's well known that fair play is unknown to MS and that they will do everything possible to become the #1.

They've lost all my trust years ago.
    Steve Case could be considered Bill Gate's protege then. AOL employs all the same scare tactics and bullying schemes as Microsoft does.

When AT&T was the leading provider of Cable Internet Access in the U.S. AOL whined and moaned to get free access to those lines for their customers. They even launched several lawsuits across the country. Now that AOL is merging with TIME Warner and will become the largest provider of Cable Internet Access through their RoadRunner service, AOL wants a closed system where other companies can't use their lines. Can't have it both ways.

IBM and Oracle have employed similar tactics in the past against competitors. You are very naive to think that a large company no matter who they are hasn't employed what some conceive as unethical behavior to squash or purchase smaller competitors.

Big Business is about the bottom line. If the shareholders make money then everyone is happy. If not then new management comes in and makes them happy. The whole goal is to make money by selling products and not killing anyone in the process.

I am not saying this is right nor am I condoning this behavior but that is how Big Business works around the world. That is how a Fortune 500 company stays in the top 500.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before AOL bought Nescape, they were better because they weren't bloated of all of the advertising **** and promotions AOL is notarious for.

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-15-2000 at 06:18 PM]

Idea Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    They weren't better before aol bought them.

If aol hadn't bought them they wouldn't be coming out with a version 6, they'd still be at 4.7 They were a dying company, aol saved them.

I think they still have potential, just like microsoft can reach lots of people via its operating system. Aol can reach lots of people through aol, icq, and the like.

Chris
    I completely agree with you, mozilla was just too little too late. I aol didnt buy them for their browser, they brought them for their site traffic, netscape.com and for their server market. Now because of that the aol network is the biggest on the net.
    Professional PHP programing / Hosting
    aim: downtoi3iz icq: 74637813

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly tried to give Netscape the benefit of the doubt for a long time as I really liked it's format over IE...but it was always just too slow on my 26.4k connection and I kept having daily crashes!

When I went to IE about a year ago, I found Speed and [/i]Compatibility[/i] that I never had before. Although I do still get crashes every now and again, the comparison when I view the same site in Netscape vs IE is no contest ~ IE always wins!

Netscape has an immense challenge if it wants to catch up with IE ~~ as it seems that Netscape6 is just improving the 'cosmetics' but not the 'nuts & bolts' of basic web design compatibility.

Maybe IE is now too far ahead of Netscape...
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal preference is IE, but at my school, most people use Netscape (on PC+Unix)
    And I think my school doesn't like MS products! They has quite a lot of servers, but WinNT workstations are minimal. Have to access Win on Unix terminals through wincenter and it's slow!
    Anyway, I like IE but still need to have NN next when checking for site's compatibility!
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think its stupid not to use a browser just because you dont like the company. If its the best use it.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by RussellG
    I think its stupid not to use a browser just because you dont like the company. If its the best use it.
    IMO Mozilla Milestone is the best browser. That's why I'm using it.