0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the colors are too bright, it simply is going to be a little

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here's a more objective explanation about the contrast of copy (text) on your background.

(1) Your text color: #fefccc;
    Your bg color: #89A01E

(2) Next, you should be aware of HSLa. It's another way to choose color in CSS. It stands for "Hue Saturation Lightness (and alpha)" and you can learn more about it here: http://css-tricks.com/yay-for-hsla/

For convenience:

• Hue - Think of a color wheel. Around 0o and 360o are reds 120o are greens, 240o are blues. Use anything in between 0-360. Values above and below will be modulus 360.
    • Saturation - 0% is completely denatured (grayscale). 100% is fully saturated (full color).
    • Lightness - 0% is completely dark (black). 100% is completely light (white). 50% is average lightness.
    • alpha - Opacity/Transparency value. 0 is fully transparent. 1 is fully opaque. 0.5 is 50% transparent.

So why is HSLa important? Well, it's due to something called WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) and it is determined by W3C.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag.php

Or more specifically, Guideline 1.4.1 of the WCAG on text and color being distinguishable: http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20...-audio-contras

And here, even more specifically, is the guideline on contrast: http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-WCAG2...-20120103/G183

There really is a right way and wrong way to style content. I won't go into the details in this post, that link above will offer more explanation and clarification than I could hope to offer.

(3) To use the tool above, we need to know the HSLa color of the text (#fefccc). We can do that with this tool: http://www.workwithcolor.com/hsl-color-picker-01.htm

It results in the HSLa conversion: 58o 96% 90% 97%.

(4) Now that we have the HSLa and bg, we can plug it into the assessment ("validation") tool in #1.

Here is the result: http://leaverou.github.io/contrast-r...n-%20%2389A01E

Your score is 2.8. It fails WCAG. That is, your color scheme there does not meet standard guidelines for web accessibility. That is why many users find it very difficult (and unsatisfying) to read. While it may be the case that we as developers enjoy more peculiar styling...we are not designing for ourselves, but for prospective clients and customers. If we ignore their expectations and standards, we are failing them, and ultimately, in the wrong business.

Not convinced? Here's another contrast ratio test. WCAG says simple text (smaller copy) needs to have a contrast ratio of 4.5:1 (and 3.1 for very large font). Plugging the colors into this tool, it still fails with a 2.81:1 ratio: http://juicystudio.com/services/lumi...io.php#specify

I hope the above clarifies more about the difficulty in reading the text on your pages and why this is so important.

------

Maybe I should turn this into an article...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visually the site is pretty, I like the design. A couple of issues:

- The first page doesn't validate
    - The case studies are switching a little too fast. I can't read each one before the next one appears
    - In the "SAY HELLO TO US" fields, I'm not sure what to type where. I can't see any labels
    - I'd A/B test having the case studies later & having some shorter attention grabbing text at the top
    - I'd put the recommend a friend after the other sales text
    - I'm usually impressed when I see seo agencies doing "demonstrations of power", i.e. linking to google showing you at #1 for a difficult keyword
    Jon Matthews - founder - Deep Cognition Ltd.
    http://deepcognition.com/mTrawl.htm - Free for Windows & Mac;
    check your links and validate all your html with one click

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Peahcy

Its only my personal preference, im not too sure about the green colour / The copy doesn't stand out that much. I would use stronger colours within the fonts. Its reakky the green I see as the basic problem, I had to struggle to view the words, The copy is fine and punchy that's great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachySEO View Post
    Hello,

My new website for small business SEO is now live - www.peachyseo.co.uk

It's designed to stand out and appeal to small businesses.

I'd be really grateful if you could go through this with a fine toothcomb and tell me what you think? Does it appeal to a small business? Does it stand out from the crowd? Any and all opinions welcome.
    I wish you well my friend I honestly do. Trouble with brand new seo geared sites is you're trying to sell a service (ranking) that you obviously don't have your self. Keep at it though and work towards giving your site more online credibility with good unique content and using all the (white hat methods). Again best of luck. Nice design.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Peachy. I can give the opinion of a small business owner (two ecommerce sites) who is now 50 years old and has hired an SEO consultant a few times.

First, I can barely read your white text on the green background. Assume that many who would hire an SEO firm are old guys with bad eyes.
    Second, the slideshow moves too fast for me to read and digest what it says. At least add some code to make it pause when I mouse over it.
    Third, the section right below the slideshow is a complete mystery to me. The three boxes below "Say Hello to Us and find out how we can help your business…" have no labels so I don't know what belongs in them
    Fourth, what I do know about SEO drives me to right click the screen and select "View Page Info". What I see there is not encouraging. It looks a little like keyword stuffing
    of the title and description tags. I expected more from a SEO firm.

I think it's a good start, but needs help from a Sales and Marketing perspective. Be more friendly to us old folks, we do have the money to hire you ;-)

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great PeachySEO, You've always done a great work with www.peachyseo.co.uk . my suggestion you to reduce social tool icons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll give 8.5 out of 10 for this website. It's good but not the best.
    You can change the contents with better ones & try to use some more attractive design & please change the background color.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello there,

Number of years ago I had started a similar business here in Miami which was called AttractionSEM, however we failed miserable at actually "attracting" any customers and looking back at it, your site remindes me a whole lot of my old on.

1. Usually first thing I do when I research services like SEO, advertising, re-targetting, etc...I always look for either their other clients and/or additional services that they offer. a) I look for other clients to see if they have done work with business that are in the same industry as mine. b) i want to know what else they offer besides, advertising, etc - When i went on your site, I had no idea what you're all about, in my opinion your top menu needs to be changed from NEWSFEED/FRIEND/CONTACT US to something like SERVICES/CLIENTS/TESTIMONIALS/CASE STUDIES (or something similar)

2. Replace "Say Hello To Us" with an infographic that is SEO related or a testimonial from a customer - that will create a little more credibility than "Say hello to us"

3. Green background with beige letters makes my eyes hurt, I imagine it would have the same effect on others, go for more neutral color scheme

3. Peaches in the background gotta go...anyone who is reseaching SEO companies, is going to have that "grocery store" impression when they visit instead of a professional who knows what he/she is doing and can help our business

Those are some things that stood out when I visited the site....Like I said, I did similar thing 3 years ago and it didn't work out for me, but all the best to you and hopefully it goes good