SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small Business SEO website - please review!

Hello,

My new website for small business SEO is now live - www.peachyseo.co.uk

It's designed to stand out and appeal to small businesses.

I'd be really grateful if you could go through this with a fine toothcomb and tell me what you think? Does it appeal to a small business? Does it stand out from the crowd? Any and all opinions welcome.
    Last edited by ralph.m; Aug 1, 2013 at 22:44.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The site looks quite nice, but a few things to consider:

- your background image takes ages to load (1.7 MB!) which looks awful and isn't good for SEO, I believe, and is cruel to mobile users, so it needs to be optimised.
    - the header section is the critical place to grab your visitors, yet it's filled with tiny text that slides off the page before users can realistically read it.
    - The eye then falls on the contact boxes ... but why would anyone contact you if they don't have a good idea of what you're about?
    - The next section asks me to recommend a friend ... but why would I when I still don't know anything about you? The text is also quite hard to read.
    - Finally, way down the page, I find some info about the company ... but personally, I find that stark white text on a dark background
    too 'contrasty' and painful to read, so I'm not inclined to.

Just a few small observations.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers ralph, all taken on board.

Yeah, the peach image has been an issue of mine for a while and it's something being addressed. Luckily, the site is responsive so anyone who visits on a mobile site will get a "mobile friendly" version of the site.

P.S - lovely removal of potential anchor text in the first post

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    The problem with responsive CSS is that quite a few devices download even bg images even if they don't use them, so make sure to optimise no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachySEO View Post
    P.S - lovely removal of potential anchor text in the first post
    The forum is no-follow anyway, so tactics like that have no value, so it's better just to keep things clean (as opposed to 'SEOy').

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's very nice DESIGN,.. but as mentioned above, your website still to slow to load. CMIIW.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    The forum is no-follow anyway, so tactics like that have no value, so it's better just to keep things clean (as opposed to 'SEOy').
    No-follow means that Google doesn't carry link juice. It doesn't mean Google ignores their existence. But still, point taken

I'm going to get the image reduced I think. Thanks for the input guys. Anything else?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice but...first all the slides in your top slider downloaded & displayed for me vertically. Once they all loaded they then jumped back up and were as normal slides.
    so the rest of the website jumping back up might make the user wonder for a moment if they got redirected w/out their consent.
    I am also wondering about those big orange blocks with the leaves that display the links at the top bar as active. With the leaves there the first thing that popped into my mind is that it was meant to be the image of a peach but only the block loaded.
    Lastly the smaller white text on lime/green/yellow. might be not as visible/easy on they eyes as you'd like.
    But other wise a very nice page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over all site is looking good, I suggest you to change background colors if possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    site is looking nice, but its too slow to load, so avoid this such type of loading issue.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website looks visually appealing, my only criticism is perhaps not sufficiently prominent main business, i would add some bombastic header saying :" we are best choice for small business seo " or something even more pompously , also the newsfeed page needs to be filled with more content , but all in all it looks good

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website looks good but still require to make better color combination.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks very nice, I like it, but need too much time to load page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the loading issue is now fixed. I can load the whole page right away (I'm not on a high-speed internet connection).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like one page websites as it breaks the monotony of loading new pages but I do not like the fonts you used for Top Menu. I also would have jazzed up the contact form used there. If you done some successfull seo campaigns then it would be great to highlight the time frame in which it was achieved, and more details in that regard like when we show our web design portfolio, then we add what technologies were used etc.

Error Messages like "Please fill the required field." are all over the place when I clicked on Click to Submit button in SAY HELLO TO US form. Moreover input boxes were not aligned after clicking Submit button. I am using FF 21.

In am not sure whether I would recommend a friend until I haven't used your service so you might want to put that in footer.

As for the footer itself, the telephone, email, contact details text are too big compared to their corresponding details.

The site looks good but fells just short of a professional site. I think with a re-think and about 30-35% modification it has the potential to be a very good site.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hii,

Your website looks good.
    Design, Color use and Graphics are all good.
    Great work. Keep it up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey ,
    Your site is good but have to improve its on page work
    then your site come in top in Google search results.
    take care

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site design looks good but not that much professional . but back ground images are nice. some places font is not well.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks really good! Quite a big difference to what we normally get reviewing here.

A few areas you might want to change:

The design for the input fields on the contact page
    The homepage slider, and in particular the images. You need different images, so consider changing the tablet to possibly other devices just to add a difference.
    follow me on ayyelo, Easy WordPress; specializing in setting up themes!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your web loaded slowly for me. You know seo, but you missed this point.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The full screen design gives a impressive feel. It does stand out like you said. I hardly find out where need to be improved.
    As to the speed of loading, it’s not a problem.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's ok

Hi, your website is ok. I think you should decrease the bg cause it's still with 600kb which is too much. It could hurt your SEO.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachySEO View Post
    Hello,

My new website for small business SEO is now live - www.peachyseo.co.uk

It's designed to stand out and appeal to small businesses.

I'd be really grateful if you could go through this with a fine toothcomb and tell me what you think? Does it appeal to a small business? Does it stand out from the crowd? Any and all opinions welcome.

Ok, going to be very honest here because SEO is probably the most difficult field in which to stand out, which means you need to try very hard. There's just so much competition.

My first impression? It's kind of cheesy. The screenshots of your case studies look crappy (the drop shadow is too strong), your logo is absolutely abysmal (pay a pro to redo it immediately, please!), and most importantly, I have no idea what exactly you're selling or how to buy it. You need to make that absolutely clear within less than five seconds, or I'll click away.

Your navigation shows nothing relevant to me. Newsfeed? Yuck. Why would I click that? Recommend a Friend? What am I recommending??

Your most prominent feature on your landing page should be some call to action that provides value. I scanned your entire home page and have ZERO motivation to deal with you (and, ironically, I could personally use an SEO guy to evaluate some of my projects/approaches).

You refuse to offer package deals, not even a starter package for me to get a quick and cheap taste of what it's like to deal with you. In your massive block of text you explain how not offering packages makes you better. But to me, it means I have no idea what you charge, and I likely can't afford it. So I move along. You must list prices somewhere, you must sell something up front. Even if it's a 30 minute pick-an-SEO-experts-brain consult for $25. I would actually buy that. :-)

Just keep in mind that we all have extremely short attention spans (and we're busy, so so busy) so you need to condense your information, use bullet points and brief statements, say more with less, and instead of featuring those exhausting case studies (who reads those? no one) be more direct: "We tripled the organic traffic of XYZ.COM within 30 days" -- now that's a case study. Quoting this: "The company sets the correct expectations and delivers each time! " makes me want to clutch my wallet and run. It sounds lame and unexciting. It sounds like something I can do myself. And I sure as hell don't need to see an ugly screenshot of the case study website unless you designed it as well. Keep your graphics relevant.

Sorry for being harsh, it's all with good intent. Best of luck!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks good overall but IMO there's too much boundaries and too much scrolling down. I've always thought that was a bad thing. You need to work on your color combination and usability but otherwise the site looks really professional. I like it in a sense that it looks really original, it stands out. There's couple of issues though.

1. I did not see a call to action. or if there was, it certainly was difficult to see when someone looks at your site for 2-3 minutes

2. I don't know if it's just IE, but it was terrible slow compared to chrome and firefox.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Peahcy

Its only my personal preference, im not too sure about the green colour / The copy doesn't stand out that much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with others:

1) still takes too long to download all page elements

2) color contrast is wrong

3) more attention is given to contacting you than it is to helping customers understand how they benefit by choosing you over someone else. The layout is wrong from a UX perspective. Any UX course you would take would agree. The focus ought to be on the customer, not on you.

That being said...

I've also noticed that the slider makes the h2 text move a little, this is a distraction, not sure why it does that (didn't dig deep enough).

Overall, I like the theme, but there are some basic color/contrast as well as layout issues that need to be addressed IMO.