Thread: Help simpl

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help simpl

We want to get feedback on our site: Light After Loss

The site is intended to help people better respond to the death of a loved one. The two audiences are those who are very close to the deceased (e.g., "my mother died") and other supporters (e.g., "my friend's mother died").

The main thing on our mind is to simplify the number of options available in the top section of the homepage. It's be great to get your feedback on that, and anything else you'd suggest.

The main things one could do are below (in rough order of importance):
    • See/buy sympathy gifts
    • Share with someone who needs it
    • See resources for supporters
    • See resources for the bereaved
    • Login

As part of that, we might also decrease the weight of the top-bar, leaving "get started" as the only highlighted button (the others would be dark text over a light background)

Thanks!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's a great idea, and the design works pretty well for me. The first thing to look at is how you present information. My first question was What am I getting myself into here? The Our Story section is moving, but also mentions "You can get started for free". That kind of pops my balloon, TBH. It throws up a red flag and says—uh oh, they want money out of you at some point (not what someone grieving wants to hear). But I couldn't find any other info about what costs might be involved, or how it all works. There are sign up / get started options, though. That usually drives me away from a site—when I'm being invited to get started, but it's not clear what I'm getting myself into.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is very well done. It's great that you made it responsive so it works on all devices. Also great that the text is large - which helps older eyes. You could perhaps darken the text a little more.

There are a few place with blue text that are not links. Normally only clickable links are blue. So I suggest making that other instances, like "Our Story", a different color or at least a very dark blue.

I do agree with Ralph that it would be good to see on the homepage some explanation of how your business makes money and what sort of charges to expect. Your customers are in emotional turmoil when they reach your site - they probably do not have the mental energy to sort through a few pages to figure it out. Be up front about the charges, it may increase your potential customer retention (by decreasing the bounce rate).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off i'd like to commend the "idea' behind the site. It's inspirational and in a www that's full of cluttered, meaningless sites this one's nice to come across... especially if i were looking for bereavement support.

Only "suggestion" I have that I feel would help convey the message to first time visitors, "hey you're at the right site feeling." Is consider either replacing the collage on landing page (top) and/or alternating if (you're running sliders) a message that has some text along the lines of the "mission statement". Nice work.