Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please Review My New Website Design Concept

Hello,

I am a college student who's been doing web design work on the side to pay for my college loans for the last two years. I used to quote out projects and charge a substantial sum to create custom websites from scratch, but I started noticing a lot of small storefront businesses couldn't afford to shell out $1,000 to $2,000 dollars a site, so I started searching for a new idea to get them online. I came up with Discovery Mark. It's a service that gets small businesses professional and custom built sites for an affordable monthly fee with no contracts. I built the system so that all the websites I create run off of one API so I can dynamically update all the sites at once to add new features and updates while keeping their custom look.

For the last month, I've had a few local customers that I did a trial run with, and now I'm ready to share it with the masses! I would be very thankful if you reviewed my website.

The main input I am looking for is:

1. Do you like the overall theme of the website? I went for a more minimal/flat look, trying to keep it simple!

2. To you, does the site convey what we're trying to do and give enough information to make a decision?

3. On the signup page, am I asking for enough information? I tried to keep the field to a minimum so the user wouldn't get driven away by too many questions.

4. And last, does this seem like a service you would use if you were in a situation where you needed a website on a budget?

Thank you! I look forward to your comments.

http://www.discoverymark.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. I like the overall look of the site. Nice flat look.

2. I think a big improvement that can be made is telling people what they are getting. If I was interested in getting a website, I can't tell from your website what you are creating in terms of the actual website. You talk a lot about pricing and the maintenance that's included but people will want to see examples of sites you've created and understand what they are getting. How do domains, hosting, design, email, etc. work?

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Kudos for the "we're currently at XX happy customers and growing" and the "become number XX" button.
    That is a very, very clever idea.
    As an old-timer I am not keen on the LARGE text and buttons. But that is personal taste. You have done an excellent job complying with [what is] the current trend.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Git is for EVERYONE
    Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

For what it's worth, here's my tuppence.

1. Really like the overall theme of the website. The pastel colours gives it a gentle feel that I think will appeal to your market.

2. Yeah, I'd say it's pretty obvious what you do. But if you're worried, it's nothing that won't be fixed by a page called "What we do".

3. I think you're asking just enough.

4. Sadly, no. I'd always go for ekmsystems or 1 & 1 or something I'm a bit more familiar with.

Hope this helps, and best of luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both your opinions!

I made some slight changes on my index page as well as my features page to give people a better idea of what they are getting for the money. I am currently still working on putting together an example page, just haven't decided on a look I like yet.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yes, The overall look and theme of the website is great. but there's a problem because most people don't have much common sense. (Quote : Common sense is a sense that is not very common) So less educated people could get lost on your website.

2. Yes, You are giving enough info, but a person has to find it.

3. A few more maybe 2,3 more would be okay.

4. On a budget , Maybe, but for completely newbies , NO.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

At the begin, when I open the page , i think that you have installed windows 8 OS, beacouse it is remaind me on their design , big fonts , all in one place , blocks...etc

But I started surfs , and I like that simplest, link are good , and all have a good hover.

Very good job ,

by

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like your design, the colours and simple buttons look fantastic.

I would really like to see a page that shows the websites of your existing clients. Maybe when you clickon the community button you get a map with clickable icons.

Love the sign up page, the large field sizes make it feel very easy and siple to sign up.

The other thing that I didn't find easily was this: If I am a small business and I am getting online, how will people find me? Ie just because it is on the net doesn't mean I am going to be found.

Could you offer SEO as an additional package?

Would I use it? no because Im a DIY guy, but Im sure lots of other people would. But have you thought about targeting a niche? Sounds like it would be great for tradespeople like plumbers or electricians or builders. perhaps you could have several sites that are specifically designed for different trades.

Page loads and operates very well in Sydney on Firefox

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First reviews on main points you mentioned
    1.The overall theme is good with flate look.
    2.Yes the messagd pretty clear on the page that you are diffrent from other website development companies.
    3. The fields are ok, you may just increase the size(rows) of project description text area.
    4. May be yes if i am in this budget situation as most of the starters do not want to invest much in early stages of business.
    Thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site looks clean and a good use of your colour scheme. But you should get templates up and in demo view asap.
    Your content is attractive and overall a good read but the next minute I (as a customer) would like to see what that website is...
    Other then that I like the concept

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    System Used
    ===========
    Resolution 1366 x 768
    System Type: Laptop
    CPU: Intel Core i7
    Ram: 8 Gb
    Browser: Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m
    Language: Dutch
    Cable: 50 Mbit

Review
    ======
    Loading: Website loading was oke.

First Impression
    ================
    The first thing I thought when I opened the website was: "Is this a microsoft site?". This isn't a bad thing as well it comes over as a trusted website.

Strange
    =======
    When hovering over the different buttons etc to see what is clickable I noticed the communities hover color is dark grey. I would assume it was the red / orange color as that is also used below where it says community.

Love
    ====
    I love the button at the bottom: "we're currently at 38 happy customers and growing - become number 39" it somehow makes me want to sign up even though there aren't that many sites on there yet.

Chrome Bug ???
    ==============
    When clicking continue on the signup page when nothing is filled in errors are shown but the are tangled between the page text (if you try it you get what i mean not sure how to explain).

Your Points
    ===========
    1) Theme, Love it, simple clean and still looks professional
    2) I do think so
    3) Think it is all you need, are they all required and why do you need my phonenumber (it's something I hate entering)
    4) I might, i do not like subscription websites like this (and 25 bucks is a lot compaired to making it yourself and hosting it but I think it's fair).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Austinsp,

First, I think you have a sound business idea here. I think the $25/month will appeal to a certain group that is focused on there service rather than on becoming webmasters.

Second, I think you REALLY need to talk to someone with a background in marketing. Maybe trade them a site for advice in rewording your text?

Before I clicked over to your site, I decided to put on my "busy small business person hat" and look with the eyes of someone who just wants a decent website without any hassles...

2) $25/month
    3) sounds like you take care of everything

Confused about:
    1) Community... What does that mean? Do they mean Facebook? It says "search" in there, so do they mean Google?
    2) Links... Where do they want me to click? When I touch spaces like the thought bubble it appears to be a link but nothing tells me where I'm going to.

Don't like:
    1) It's not responsive. It is not easy to read on my mobile device. If my potential customers open MY site I want it easy to read. Does this place not do responsive site?
    2) Why don't they give me any examples? I want to know what my site might look like if they make it for me.

You only have a few seconds to get people interested. Right now you have something unique enough to potentially do that. But there are too many confusing parts to your homepage. That's why I think a marketing person could help focus your message and cut the confusion.

I did not look at the deeper pages. Maybe they answer every question. But it doesn't matter if people bounce away from your homepage...

Good luck! I have acquaintances that could use a service like yours :-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like the overall design , but i believe somewhere when you enter as customer, i would like to see some work before signing up...adding previous work will add an added attraction for customer ...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key features are clear stated, which is affordable total package of online presence plus maintenance.
    But there's no example showing what the customers are really getting. Some examples or demo sites would be helpful.
    Maybe details of performance as well would be great.

Overall great job

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the placements and the ratio. But this is too much pastel for me. That way, it still looks crowded to me. I would use the pastel to fade some content so it doesn't look crowded.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modern looking which is plus for you
    Only: my account, sign up, in my opinion is too large

SitePoint Zealot internetSurfer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice color scheme.
    The layout is very nice and appealing and well thought out.
    Great business idea.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

great business idea i just think you need to explain clearly on the front page what it is about? so then the customer can see straight away.

thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,
    when ever i have seen your website it simple looks like a windows8 operating system.
    but when researched over all then i have found that it's too good and simple looking website.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Austin,

My first impression of your website was "impressive". Figuring out what you were offering was easy. I really like how you choose to use a light grey background over white.

I felt like the navigation buttons at the top were a bit bunched together but I think they grow on you the longer you stay on the site.

I like the idea of charging a service fee per month. Passive income, does that include updates or would you charge them to make big changes to the site?

The customer counter, happy customer XX

Not sure if it's my monitor but text looks a bit pixelated on my 27 Samsung monitor.

Liked your contact form

Where is your portfolio section? Is there a place to see examples of the 38 other customers?

Otherwise pretty good so far.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the look n feel of the site generally..
    However, I would not advertise the fact that I only had 38 customers - instead I would say "Limited offer - own a professional website for $25 per month - only 10 more websites left at this price" and then have it count down 1 every time someone comes to the website - until it reaches 1!!! ;-)
    Something is screwy about the font on my pc/firefox but that might be me rather than you, not sure - the Discovery Mark logo looks great but the text (e.g. my account) looks kinda aliased..

I like the signup page

When I clicked on "for the community" I got an about us page with a map on it - not what I was expecting

I would be careful about "features" - what you say they get for $25 per month - "Creation of the website" (remember a website can be HUGE and take thousands of man years just to create, so you need to specify - max of 10 pages or something like that)

SitePoint Enthusiast Dynamikemagic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, I would say it is nice. But let us get down to the itty gritty. I will list my specific thoughts below.

1. Your motto: "We don't build websites, we build communities." Someone might view your page and picture that the wrong way. How about using the motto: "We don't just build websites, we build communities."
    2. Wow, $25 a month is a good fee. But what if others think that is too cheap? How about having multiple packages with higher monthly fees that offer more. There can also be an optional high fee flat rate package that require no monthly fees. It gives the prospects more choices.
    3. I would not suggest showing how many customers, especially because that is a low amount. It makes your business look new, or if you are not good in SEO yourself. When you have at least 101, mention "We have over 100 customers".
    4. Have a page showing examples of the sites you put together.

Good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamikemagic View Post
    In general, I would say it is nice. But let us get down to the itty gritty. I will list my specific thoughts below.

1. Your motto: "We don't build websites, we build communities." Someone might view your page and picture that the wrong way. How about using the motto: "We don't just build websites, we build communities."
    I'll agree with that there. I'm trying to figure out exactly what the communities aspect is.

2. Wow, $25 a month is a good fee. But what if others think that is too cheap? How about having multiple packages with higher monthly fees that offer more. There can also be an optional high fee flat rate package that require no monthly fees. It gives the prospects more choices.
    I'm not so sure $25 is that cheap, especially since, at this point no one has specified the specs of the site would be. Like, right now, I'm paying $33/mo and getting a barebones VPS server, no integrated software, 1TB bandwidth, 20GB of storage and the guarantee that I won't be kicked out of my server if I slow anyone else down because it's my own VPS server and no one else's.

I do agree that there aren't so many options, though.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. The theme is quite good and minimal, no unneeded design elements. I don't know about you, but i would give the homepage a little bit of movement, so that it would not be too boring. For example "We don't build websites , we build communities" could change with some other text.

2. I think there is enough information to attract new customers, just maybe it should be better formulated (with marketing in mind). There could be a page with your customer pages, + maybe some comments from them. Also i would create a facebook page, and add small icon somewhere in your page (probably the footer) linking to it (that is more for marketing).

3. The signup page is good. I would maybe add a location (country) field.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face attractive site

i saw your site hmmm its great, specially the outlook is perfect, very attracting for new users but u need to add more interesting contents in it to get more interest from user.

Thanks

Kristine