SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I've recently taken over control of an affiliate program for the company I'm working for. I was wondering if anyone would like to share tips/experiences on what works in terms of getting people to know about your affiliate program.

Right now my program is on my site and in the CJ directory, and that's it that I know of. Any ideas on how I can get the word out about it and encourage people to participate?

thanks,

Chuck
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are more affiliate list sites out there than you could count! FIND THEM ALL and submit your program to each.

Active affiliates go there in search of a program that fits their niche. Let 'em know!

Also, go to every major and small website in your industry that is not direct competition and let them know. Emphasize benefits and payout. Compliment the site and what a good resource it is. Then say "I know of one way you can increase the value of your site for every visitor." Bam, a certain percentage will join.

If they have an affiliate program, join it too. Joint ventures are huge money makers. Getting endorsements from others is the name of the game. At the end of the day, the quest is to have as many people linking to you as possible. Find them, stroke their ego (truthfully) and then "do them a favor."

Never ask for the favor, ask if you can do a favor for them.

All of these combined ALONG WITH outstanding affiliate support will help get the word out in a major way.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

Long ago I found this article and I think it can help you to start your marketing efforts. Good luck!

http://www.clickz.com/cgi-bin/gt/art...l?article=1220

Lookpal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot, I'm trying to submit to directories right now. As for the contacting other sites.. well that could take a while, but I think it's a good idea to just contact as many as possible.

Have either of you had any success with affiliate marketing?

chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any chance someone can give me an idea of what I could do to make more of my affiliate partners become ACTIVE members of the program? I've got over 1700 affiliates, however a large number are inactive, and a very small number are seriously implementing the program.

I offer great rates, I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong..

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chuck,

Make sure that you are mailing your affiliates regularly, say once a month, giving them great ideas of ways they can increase their affiliate income.

Next, make sure that you are turning these mailings into articles to place in the private area of your affilite program. This enables old affiliates to re-read some of the great ideas, and new people to find great starting info!

Also, in these mailings, make sure you are rewarding the top affiliates each month with praise for their success. Every month feature a different person who has been successful with your program. Make sure to keep track of what your best affiliates are doing right, and then begin to teach those techniques to the rest of your team.

For some great ideas of things to tell your affiliates, send a blank email by clicking here and read the free course that comes by email. It is VERY good info about affiliate selling. After you finish it, send a note to all of your affilites recomending that they read it also. You can be sure it will help them.

Lastly, while these things may seem like they take a lot of effort, it really requires nothing more than your time. If you feel you do not have the time or affiliate expertise to really give good support to your affiliates, consider hiring someone from outside to come in and turn things around for you. An experienced affilate program manager CAN make the difference between average and super-affiliate sales!

If you have any questions at all, feel free to email me at daniel@mserve.net

Edited by heavy on 11-22-2000 at 11:12 PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the advice heavy. I've seen sitesell before.. but never really had need for any of their services, until now

Any ideas on how many, or what percentage of CJ affiliates will actually pay attention and read/implement what is suggested? This is something I'd like to know, I'm not sure if I should recruit more partners before spending time educating them.

thanks,

chuck

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently read an article that had a list of a certain website's top ten affiliate checks. It was very interesting to see that the top affiliate was paid over $23,000!

Equally interesting was the fact that the number ten affiliate was paid only $910! While this IS a lot of money for a affilite, it just goes to show the spread. Very few affiliates will actually make much money.

Every program I have been associated with has had the same results stated by the company. They all say the 80-20 rule is more like a 90-10. Most ALL of your affiliates will do very little in terms of making a lot of sales for you.

You or your administrator has the job of convincing those non-performers that it would be worth the time to promote your program. The easier you make it the better. The more you do for them, the more they will sell. Do your best to make selling your products a no-brainer! By doing this, you will see more and more affiliates crank up their marketing for you.

Never forget the non-performers though. You have a VERY captive audience. The fact is that most of them probably have not even purchased the product they are recommending! This is a great source of revenue for the company. Just gently persuade them to buy. You can do this by talking about how great the product is to help "educate them for the selling."

It is a constant that the best affiliates have also purchased the product. Look at your top earners, I'll bet at least %70 own the product! Start letting the other affiliates know that fact. It will increase the product value in their minds AND you will have the extra sales.

Don't worry about who will actually listen to what you say. It will be your top twenty that use the info the most but it's well worth it if you can double how much business they do by helping them sell more!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last month I made exactly $910 with CJ.com. Does that mean I was top 10 affiliate? WOW