User Tag List

Thread: sessions file

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sessions file

OK the session ID is placed on the clients computer and that ID points to a file on the server. How long does the file on the server stay. What deletes it? I am guessing they must go away somehow.

Dennis

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With no other interferance, the file would proberly stay on the server indefinitely ? Or are you talking about the session it's self... In which case the session would die on the browser closure or leaving the site in question, unless you store the ID in a cookie... ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I mean the file on the server. But that makes no since to have the session file on the server stay there for ever as we have thousands a day. Are you sure?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to think so unless you delete the file ? The session ID is proberly unique... thus the file is also unique I'd like to think - based on the ID somehow ? Why not store a cookie on your clients computer and check this before you re-create a new file ? If the file based on the ID from the cookie exists, delete it ? An other way you can do it is to delete any/all files based on the timestamp exceeding x amount of days... Cron would help you to automate this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP routinely , automatically does garbge collection on session files on the server , & unless you extend the session cookie lifetime the session cookie on your computer dies the moment you close your browser (all of them that is)

you can extend the lifetime of the session cookie and also the life of the session file on the server but that would just make session hijacking a whole lot easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is also worth mentioning that you can have full control over your sessions by storing them on your database rather than your server.
    Community Guidelines | Community FAQ

"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave;
    he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at this link on the PHP Advanced Forums... Could prove to be useful I think.

http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...ession+handler