SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, my store is up with the FreeMerchant.com store builder. I am interested in promotion through search engines and the WebPosition Gold software reviewed by SitePoint sounds great, but I am wondering if it won't work for me because I am basically just uploading images into a template set up by FreeMerchant.com. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hhmmm I am unaware of the service your mention...

Do you have your own url ?
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't think you can promote your URL a lot in search engines because you cannot own your own domain name. If you insist in using this kind of free service, you may need to promote your site through other means like email, etc. So sorry to say that more and more SE do not accept sites without its' own url.
    Addto! e-commerce and Internet Marketing Directory
    Collects and refers hundreds of ecommerce, internet marketing, and website development solutions and advice to small business owners.
    You can access various domain registration info. too

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a URL you can use to directly access your store?

If there is, you could use a domain registrar that uses frames forwarding to list your store in search engines etc.

For example: http://www.silicon-world.co.uk is one of my domains hosted with domaincity.co.uk.

The site itself is (for the moment) is an unused discussion board that i've got set up on Everyone.net. The actual URL for the board is http://silicon-world1.community.everyone.net or something horrid like that.

With frames forwarding people can go to your URL and your FreeMerchant page will appear (all you have to give the host is the URL of your site).

All the page titles and meta tagging are controlled in the frames forwarding set up in my case, so you can edit them easily.

People tend to dislike frames forwarding, and I only use it cos it's cheap But I think in your case it'd be perfect.

Ady

v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is exactly what I have. My domain name is ******** and I have it forwarded to my store's URL at *********. What then would be the best way to promote my site for search engines? Should I use software, an online service, hire someone, do it manually, or something else? Also, what are the drawbacks of using URL forwarding like I am? What are the alternatives? Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by AndrewGardner; Aug 19, 2008 at 20:02.