Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review of Language Learning Site Design

Hello all,

Looking for review of overall site design. It was redesigned a couple years ago from an old 1990's era looking design. I am curious what current opinions are on this design, mainly if it feels dated or if it is holding up.

It doesn't have that same fluid "web 2.0" design I see hitting a lot of sites (think Twitter bootstrap), but I cannot decide if that is a good or bad thing. I do not want the site to look like every other site and immediately stand out as "that was designed with bootstrap" (while I like the look of bootstrap, looking at sites actually created with it shows that it takes a lot of work to get it to start to look custom and not like every other bootstrap site with logos and images switched out). However, at the same time, bootstrap does have that web 2.0 and modern feel to it if you know what I mean.

This isn't so much as deciding if I should redo using bootstrap, but I am just using it for comparison. My primary question is simply does it look dated (but if you spot major issues, also interested to hear about those) and generally pleasing. I am redoing the whole backend structure of the site to use MVC and will need to recreate the layout and views from scratch in any case, but am planning on using the current layout for the new site layout in MVC.

Learn Korean Now

SitePoint Enthusiast ReferralCandy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you, your site doesn't have to look like any other website with "Web 2.0" design/Flat UI/etc. Regardless of what design technique you use, it will work great if it fits the type of service/product you are offering.

I personally think your design goes well with a language learning site - the presence of "post-its" and "notebook pages" does evoke a learning environment! However, I would suggest a few changes:

1) If "Start Free Trial" is your main call-to-action, it would be wise to use a more provoking design to attract the attention of visitors. Right now, it looks the same as the rest of the menu buttons.

2) Replace the header copy (Word of the day) with a brief introduction to your website, or perhaps a call-to action message. I'm not sure if putting "Word of the Day" in your header is the best use of such a precious screen estate.

3) Do away with the left sidebar for the rest of your pages, and fully utilise the screen estate that you have. The language pages look pretty wordy at the moment - would be great if you can include some pictures.

Hope that helps!

- Aaron

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks very un-intimidating which is good. The template itself is very neat and clean with clear labels. My issue stems from how academic it looks. I don't know who your main target audience is but the template looks geared for the under 18 age group. It could be your intention or mis-intention.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    i like the look of it and think it looks quite inviting. Although it doesn't immediately shout 'Korean' at me. Whilst i don't want cheesy oriental graphics everywhere it could be cool to have some pictures of important Korean things. Eg a temple? or street vendors with smiley people? etc i am not up on my korean culture i am afraid so hopefully you would know more about that, but a connection to the culture must be essential to learning the language.

The other thing i am thinking it a technical aspect. You have used images for your handwriting font headings. With google fonts (give it a search) you can choose a font add it as a css link and then specify classes such as heading 1 etc to use that font. You can then have a nice scrolly text that everyone can use and google can then 'read' the headings and improve your search rankings.

hth
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another thought. If you had a table of everyday objects and the korean name for it, you could have a random one appear when you load the page. Just simple stuff like 'apple' etc and a picture of an apple with the word for it below.
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website looks very nice. However I think it may be a little "too over stylized". As a someone looking for help with a foreign language, I would be looking for a very straight-forward site, with the information presented clearly. I would also be looking for testimonials and reviews. That would play an important part in my decision. I think you might want to focus on presenting your information in a very clear and easy to understand way.

-less styling of text. Less graphics. More real pictures.

-more thorough testimonials and reviews.

-more information about korean culture and the language. In a very straightforward and way that makes me want to learn more!

- maybe add a blog? Then you can really talk about Korean culture etc.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Your website looks good, But the design and font you used is very boring and looks very old.
    You must add "favicon" to your website.