Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review and Advise on student website.

Dear users,

I am posting here today to ask you to kindly review my student website.

The website: www.loot4students.com

Purpose: To make student life easier by providing advice on all things student.

Aims: To create a student community that can benefit from advice and fun articles.
    To provide relevant student discounts and deals
    To eventually incorporate student jobs

I am looking for general advice for my website however I do have two topics that I'd like more detailed advice on.

Firstly, I am looking to provide student deals and discounts that I can customise. Do you know of any (cheaper or free) feeds with deals and vouchers that I could include in a dedicated page. I think the term is white label. If you have experience with any companies please let me know.

Secondly, I am not very creative and I want an email submission form that really stands out. I was hoping to build a list of students that I can email daily deals and article updates. Maybe entice the user by giving away a specific deal or Ebook on the submission form. Do you know how I can do this?

Currently I get around 12,000 unique visitors a month and it's growing steadily.

If you have any advice on how I could increase my monetization, I'd be grateful.

As you can see my knowledge and budget is limited (being a student myself) so please bare this in mind when critiquing my site.

Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Enthusiast ReferralCandy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey carnegie118,

If you're looking to create a community site that seeks to incorporate articles, discounts and student jobs all in one, you may want to reconsider the design style of your site, as it looks more like a blog to me. I personally think that the logo looks great and the colour palette used for the website is consistent, but it would help if other elements of the site (e.g. font of the buttons, alignment of newsletter box/search box) can be tweaked in a way that stands out from the rest of the site.

With regards to email marketing, I would suggest you give away a specific deal instead of an ebook. I believe deals are a more attractive option to cash-strapped students as compared to an ebook, which makes it more likely for your targeted audience to sign up for your newsletter. I'm not sure if you are already using MailChimp, but it would be a good service to start with - its easy to use and provides useful analytics for your email campaigns.

Just a suggestion - focus on creating useful and informative content for students, as per what you are currently doing on your website. Your content definitely seems more useful and relevant than those of established student sites such as studentbeans.com. It would be a good idea to continue working on great content, rather than competing "head on" with established student sites who already have a large database of student deals.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your site!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site of yours is consistent to "ideal" website design. But I think you should change the look of your site since it looks like a blog than a social networking site. I thought it was a blog when I went to your site because of the articles there. Try studying the layout format of successful sites like FaceBook, Twitter, etc. You usually see a registration page or a member log-in page right on the homepage. It is designed that way because their goal is to attract visitors to sign up and become loyal members of their communities.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is blog for student that guides students. First you should design attractive logo, Then make good color combination. Student related website should be look Franky and crazy.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should have a quite attractive logo and compelling website design as it is meant for the student community. You can also implement some SEO techniques to increase visitors for the website.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the site was OK. As others said, it did not come across instantly as articles and advice (and deals,etc) but seemed more like a blog until you dive into it. The biggest thing for me was figuring out what the site was right away from the home page. It took some time to decide. Reviewing your comment on the "aim" in your initial post clarified it for me, but that information isn't readily available to grab the user's attention on the site. It just has links to some articles, some navigation, but nothing to grab the user and keep them on the site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I've taken your advice on board. I'll begin to make the website a little clearer and move some aspects around. With regards to changing the feel from a blog to a website That may time a long time, I'll probably continue to build an audience and earn more money and once i've earned a fair amount (i'm a student remember) I'll invest it into changing the theme/layout to a more professional feel.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website looks absolutely brilliant..the contents are laid out in a pretty good order and it looks soothing..good job.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is attractive on many levels.
    I see the template is well laid out and the colors are pleasing. The stock photo you used is relevant too.
    The blog posts are informative and have supporting graphics.
    The logo is very good (I rarely see proper logos on sites anymore!)
    I also liked how you tapped into social media like Facebook and Youtube.

One suggestion would be to have more spacing between the search and the other social media icons in the upper right.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your overall concept / idea. My first impressions are that the site is a little cheezy and I am not really drawn into the information.

- Logo: It's the same color as your navigation, and doesn't really stand out.
    -Message: Maybe try adding a mission statement, or a very short to the point message of the goal of the website. Why should someone look at your site? Why are they here?
    - At the top, add something like "browse by topic"
    -Slideshow is too large
    -images are pretty corney and don't look real
    -Text could use some editing/ Make it more interesting & engaging

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Your website looks good and clean, but as it is targeting students. it must look more funkier and happening. Right now it is very boring and color use also can be much brighter.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yapsody View Post
    Hi,
    Your website looks good and clean, but as it is targeting students. it must look more funkier and happening. Right now it is very boring and color use also can be much brighter.
    Noooo! Please don't make it "funkier" and "happening". Every time a website tries to intentionally pull off "funky and happening" it ends up looking like a 40 year old man who shops in Topman and still hangs out at the student union.

I do think you'd benefit from a re-design here. You can spend no more than 20 on a new logo on peopleperhour that would really stand out. I'd also like to see a "categories" section that would allow me to browse your blog posts according to what I'm specifically interested in.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your site is attractive. You might add roll over effects to your main navigation links. Just a personal preference, I don't like the block transition on your slider and I would make the arrows larger. Compositionally, your social media links seem a little out of place. Maybe align them to the top or add them to the link bar at the very top. Overall its very clean, you don't have far to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked you website design very much,you used attractive colors also. Everything is fine in you website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With your purpose:To make student life easier by providing advice on all things student, I think you should change your main site a bit.
    The main site should looks more creative. Now it looks like a company blog. The tag for each article should be optimized to be larger with red color to attract reader.
    Your ideas about categories is good and I think you can create some preview images for each category and put it in the right, under popular post.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove the name field from your email sign up form, this will increase the number of leads you get.

Your posts are not being shared on social media. You should be pushing them using your own social media profiles, along with the profiles of the authors.

Set up rel=author in google plus for all your authors, and set up rel=publisher for the site.