User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review www.proffer.ca - speeding ticket fighting website

Hi there,

I'm looking for critique towards my new website, www.proffer.ca.

Purpose:

Proffer.ca is a network of Paralegals across the Greater Toronto Area (aiming for Cananda-wide). Clients post their traffic tickets/speeding tickets on the website, and Paralegals bid their fees on the ticket.

1) How well does the website portray the purpose?
    2) How's your load time?
    3) Any suggestions, features, modifications?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2) How's your load time?
    ---> Slowly here, I think because your background image too large.

3) Any suggestions, features, modifications?
    ---> I think you should make your logo better than only one "P".
    Make https login: http://proffer.ca/wp-login.php

Make unique page title for each page: I saw every pages you're using only same title like homepage. That's not good for SEO.
    9HWD.com - The HD Wallpapers Network.
    FB covers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Profferca,

For me your loading time was excellent, no issues here.

With regards to the websites aim, I did find it a little confusing at first. However, once I took time to study the site it did become clear. But I don't think users will generally stumble across your site anyhow, they will have an intention and your site will fulfil it.

When I was looking at your blog page, the sidebar doesn't seem to fit correctly, the box wasn't being fully displayed. Plus each article looked a little bland, in the summary view. Consider adding images to the summary to entice readers to click.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Nice site but you need to customized few things like: add XML Sitemaps, Short title and Meta description.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnegie118 View Post
    Dear Profferca,

For me your loading time was excellent, no issues here.

With regards to the websites aim, I did find it a little confusing at first. However, once I took time to study the site it did become clear. But I don't think users will generally stumble across your site anyhow, they will have an intention and your site will fulfil it.

When I was looking at your blog page, the sidebar doesn't seem to fit correctly, the box wasn't being fully displayed. Plus each article looked a little bland, in the summary view. Consider adding images to the summary to entice readers to click.
    What do you mean box wasn't being fully displayed? Is it different from the Screenshot I posted above?

Thanks

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website looks good, Just increase menu bar size and font also.Highlight social media buttons.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hii,
    1) Website doesn't give good idea what it is all about at first look.
    2) It has a good load time
    3) You can increase the content on your homepage. Which will be easier for people to understand your website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    please check my site www.learningall.com and tell me how can i make is best education site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yapsody View Post
    Hii,
    1) Website doesn't give good idea what it is all about at first look.
    2) It has a good load time
    3) You can increase the content on your homepage. Which will be easier for people to understand your website.
    I've created an about us for that purpose, and pointed to it via a png. What do you think now? I wanted to keep the main page simple.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    would have to agree with above comments that i don't instinctively know what the website is about. I may be looking to get out of a speeding ticket and come across your site but i still don't immediately know what to do.

'post a ticket'? why i don't know what your site is about yet or even why i am uploading my ticket.

I personally would prefer an intro sentence or strapline which you could put up in the space next to the search box - 'Find legal help to fight your speeding tickets' or something. I'd then prob put numbers next to the steps

1 - Upload your ticket
    2 - Choose from the offers
    3 - Pick your offer

I didn't get the 'what's proffer.ca about' scribble at the bottom as i thought it would be linked. Took a second or two to realise that it was pointing to the very very small text at the bottom. I'd increase the footer link text size.

The login box at the top in blue looks wrong to me as its square when everything else has rounded corners. Consider adding rounded ends.

... just stumbled across the rest of the page. I hadn't scrolled down as it had filled my screen (21.5inch widescreen) and finished at the bottom of the road image. wouldn't have known there was anything further down if i hadn't been reviewing the site. Not sure of the benefits of saying what the site is at the bottom of the page as i'd want my visitors to read that at the top (and also google as you want good rankings)

You get a good performance review here http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/c36B...://proffer.ca/ but your page speed is slow even though we are in Europe.

Overall though i like the design and background image, for me its mostly tidying the little bits and approaching it as a visitor and trying to imagine what they will make of it.

Hope that helps
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noppy View Post
    Hi,
    would have to agree with above comments that i don't instinctively know what the website is about. I may be looking to get out of a speeding ticket and come across your site but i still don't immediately know what to do.

'post a ticket'? why i don't know what your site is about yet or even why i am uploading my ticket.

I personally would prefer an intro sentence or strapline which you could put up in the space next to the search box - 'Find legal help to fight your speeding tickets' or something. I'd then prob put numbers next to the steps

1 - Upload your ticket
    2 - Choose from the offers
    3 - Pick your offer

I didn't get the 'what's proffer.ca about' scribble at the bottom as i thought it would be linked. Took a second or two to realise that it was pointing to the very very small text at the bottom. I'd increase the footer link text size.

The login box at the top in blue looks wrong to me as its square when everything else has rounded corners. Consider adding rounded ends.

... just stumbled across the rest of the page. I hadn't scrolled down as it had filled my screen (21.5inch widescreen) and finished at the bottom of the road image. wouldn't have known there was anything further down if i hadn't been reviewing the site. Not sure of the benefits of saying what the site is at the bottom of the page as i'd want my visitors to read that at the top (and also google as you want good rankings)

You get a good performance review here http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/c36B...://proffer.ca/ but your page speed is slow even though we are in Europe.

Overall though i like the design and background image, for me its mostly tidying the little bits and approaching it as a visitor and trying to imagine what they will make of it.

Hope that helps
    Thank you for this, I've made some slight adjustments based on your review.

I hope it's a bit better?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool that makes more sense to me. I'd be tempted to bump the font size up a little though.

Are you able to sharpen the icons at all? they look a little pixelated on my screen.

Just thinking is it worth saying what areas you cover? I may stumble across this site and not realise it is for canada only (is it or is N.america covered?) or wonder if you cover certain states etc. Could be as simple as a popup map from a link saying 'Areas we cover?' etc

sorry hope you don't think i am being too critical
    If i am a product of your imagination you should try harder!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noppy View Post
    Cool that makes more sense to me. I'd be tempted to bump the font size up a little though.

Are you able to sharpen the icons at all? they look a little pixelated on my screen.

Just thinking is it worth saying what areas you cover? I may stumble across this site and not realise it is for canada only (is it or is N.america covered?) or wonder if you cover certain states etc. Could be as simple as a popup map from a link saying 'Areas we cover?' etc

sorry hope you don't think i am being too critical
    Not at all, I really appreciate it. I'll add an interactive map on the to-do list. Yes, I've been told about the icons - I'm hoping to create a new set altogether soon. Font has been upped.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like image from your background :-)
    Opening your website took some time for me and it wasn't problem with my connection speed.
    On first look your website looks like it has almost 0 users.
    You need little bigger menu on the top right.
    Plus site map, meta tags and little better seo and marketing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanmiS View Post
    I like image from your background :-)
    Opening your website took some time for me and it wasn't problem with my connection speed.
    On first look your website looks like it has almost 0 users.
    You need little bigger menu on the top right.
    Plus site map, meta tags and little better seo and marketing.

I'm not sure why it is loading faster is some places then others, probably has to do with cloudfare servers.

I've made the top bar a bit bigger, is that better?

Any tips on site SEO modifications I should make? .xml site map is there for google.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...I'm going to be brutally honest here. I'm also only going to look at this from a UX perspective. I'm no expert, I'm no authority on the topic. I have however studied design theory and UX at the university level. I still have a ways to go (again, I am no expert). These are also my subjective opinions based on what I think I understand as well as what I prefer. So take it for what it's worth (perhaps nothing, lol).

1) The bg image is nice, but I think that sites that use these types of bg's are the ones geared more towards creative content or a creative audience...yet that doesn't seem to be your demographic.

2) The translucent FAQ on the right is interesting, but not sure I'd go with that because it doesn't stand out as it should IMO.

3) One of the biggest problem for me aesthetically, is the white content box in the middle of the page. It doesn't seem to mesh with the other page elements IMO. It's "bland" separated by "stylish." When I first saw the page, my first impression was "This is a fancy domain reseller page." You know...when you type in a bad domain name that expired, and there are tons of links for sale or redirects?

4) Also, another "conflict" in design IMO...is that you have these nice, large, round step-by-step buttons surrounded by blocky, square page elements. There's no synergy or consistency in the design IMO.

I prefer either symmetry or creative, or even at times more minimalist design...as well as a home page that tells the user what the site is about in just a few seconds. Your site is trying to be both symmetrical and creative. To me, it's a style conflict.

Here's an example of a photo bg with a focus on creativity: http://thepapermill-lasswade.com/ (clean, symmetrical and has a circle logo) - it can be creative, it's a restaurant

5) The extras like the nav menu and footer are nice, but they should be the icing on the cake, not the best part of the site.

I love the concept or purpose of the site. But as a customer feeling a bit anxious about the situation...I want a professional hand-holder...an authority. I want the sense that the company I'm trusting knows their stuff, is professional, and will get the job done. Instead, I get the feeling that your company is a bit on the "lighter" side and more creative. In this particular situation, I don't want creativity, I want a more logical and authoritative feeling to be expressed here.

Now, that being said, it is definitely possible to have a creative website yet still be authoritative (or command respect authoritatively...which is what you want to do I think). Here is an example of how this is done well: http://www.milwaukeepolicenews.com/#menu=home-page

Here is one of my favorite, that uses a partial, over-sized bg image: http://danielfiller.com/ - I love this design, great UX, creative, informative, keeps me browsing...I'm aspiring to be able to design like that.

Obviously, that's an extremely polished site...and no doubt, an entire team spent hundreds (if not thousands) of man hours putting that together. That can't be expected of a newer designer. But it is something to strive for aesthetically and it does serve as an example of how it can be done.

Again, take it for what it's worth. I hope I haven't discouraged you and I don't mean any disrespect in my review. I'm merely giving an honest opinion based on my own subjective experiences and preferences.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    OK...I'm going to be brutally honest here. I'm also only going to look at this from a UX perspective. I'm no expert, I'm no authority on the topic. I have however studied design theory and UX at the university level. I still have a ways to go (again, I am no expert). These are also my subjective opinions based on what I think I understand as well as what I prefer. So take it for what it's worth (perhaps nothing, lol).

1) The bg image is nice, but I think that sites that use these types of bg's are the ones geared more towards creative content or a creative audience...yet that doesn't seem to be your demographic.

2) The translucent FAQ on the right is interesting, but not sure I'd go with that because it doesn't stand out as it should IMO.

3) One of the biggest problem for me aesthetically, is the white content box in the middle of the page. It doesn't seem to mesh with the other page elements IMO. It's "bland" separated by "stylish." When I first saw the page, my first impression was "This is a fancy domain reseller page." You know...when you type in a bad domain name that expired, and there are tons of links for sale or redirects?

4) Also, another "conflict" in design IMO...is that you have these nice, large, round step-by-step buttons surrounded by blocky, square page elements. There's no synergy or consistency in the design IMO.

I prefer either symmetry or creative, or even at times more minimalist design...as well as a home page that tells the user what the site is about in just a few seconds. Your site is trying to be both symmetrical and creative. To me, it's a style conflict.

Here's an example of a photo bg with a focus on creativity: http://thepapermill-lasswade.com/ (clean, symmetrical and has a circle logo) - it can be creative, it's a restaurant

5) The extras like the nav menu and footer are nice, but they should be the icing on the cake, not the best part of the site.

I love the concept or purpose of the site. But as a customer feeling a bit anxious about the situation...I want a professional hand-holder...an authority. I want the sense that the company I'm trusting knows their stuff, is professional, and will get the job done. Instead, I get the feeling that your company is a bit on the "lighter" side and more creative. In this particular situation, I don't want creativity, I want a more logical and authoritative feeling to be expressed here.

Now, that being said, it is definitely possible to have a creative website yet still be authoritative (or command respect authoritatively...which is what you want to do I think). Here is an example of how this is done well: http://www.milwaukeepolicenews.com/#menu=home-page

Here is one of my favorite, that uses a partial, over-sized bg image: http://danielfiller.com/ - I love this design, great UX, creative, informative, keeps me browsing...I'm aspiring to be able to design like that.

Obviously, that's an extremely polished site...and no doubt, an entire team spent hundreds (if not thousands) of man hours putting that together. That can't be expected of a newer designer. But it is something to strive for aesthetically and it does serve as an example of how it can be done.

Again, take it for what it's worth. I hope I haven't discouraged you and I don't mean any disrespect in my review. I'm merely giving an honest opinion based on my own subjective experiences and preferences.
    Wow! Absolutely loved it. Thank you.

The police department website was what I was initially planning to go for - but wasn't sure how to execute it with what I have effectively.

Reason why I went for a more creative design is because everyone else in the legal field went for some bland and simple. I wanted to stand out.

I just added that resource bar last night. I know it looks very plain. I'm not sure what to do with it yet until I have a moment of realization - lol!

But again thank you for your very in-dept review, I really appreciate it.