User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Opinion regarding SEO

Hi,

We have a business running with a domain www.example.com. I am doing SEO for www.example.com and ranking well for several keywords.

But now my company decided to use www.example.com as adwords landing page. They are going to delete all 200 pages of my website and keep www.example.com as a single page website.

So i immediately purchased new domain www.example.org. This will be replica of current 200 page seo targeted website and now i planning to redirect all www.example.com pages to respective www.example.org. I will continue SEO for www.example.org

Now i want to confirm whether i am doing right or not ?

Because one of my friend suggesting to use www2.example.com for SEO. But my opinion is www2 is a sub-domain and it is used for load balancing. So i prefer www.example.org for my SEO activities.

So i think i am going in right way with using www.example.org instead of sub-domain

Please share your opinions. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by Stevie D; Jul 31, 2013 at 05:07. Reason: Example URLs de-linked
    PHP Programming Its more than just writing code

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing single page website is not SEO friendly. And if you delete 200 pages then it may be down your ranking. Hence it is better to create new single page and make remain old one with their pages.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My query is - instead of going for www2.example.com for SEO, i can choose www.example.org right ?
    Last edited by Stevie D; Jul 31, 2013 at 05:07. Reason: Example URL de-linked

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redirect it all to just example.com theres no need for excessive redirecting like that.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you are doing it in right way, but one thing - how will you redirect www.examples.com home page to www.example.org. If you are redirecting homepage but only internal pages to a new domain then you will lose rankings because the home page will be no more passing the link juice to the internal pages.
    Last edited by Stevie D; Jul 31, 2013 at 05:09. Reason: Example URL de-linked

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better you make adwords landing page at example.org, too many redirection is not advised, as well you are doing SEO for example.com. 100% agreed with @KevinJohnson this can cause sudden drop and what ever work you have done till now can go in vain.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it. Writing 200 separate redirects may be a pain, but it's easy to script and won't take long to set up. If it were me I'd move everything to the www.example.org domain and to redirect as you initially intended.

Whatever you choose, you'll lose some link juice. 301 redirects aren't a perfect solution. However, your method sounds sane and will probably pay off the most in the long run.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Let me get this straight – your company has a fully functional 200+ page website, and they want to rip it all out and replace it with a single page serving adverts, and to hell with all the content.

And you want to recreate the old website on a different domain, which I assume you are doing without the knowledge or consent of the company? My question is ... why do you think you have any task more important than updating your CV and looking for a new job at a company that isn't on a suicide mission? Get out of there while you can!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    Let me get this straight – your company has a fully functional 200+ page website, and they want to rip it all out and replace it with a single page serving adverts, and to hell with all the content.

And you want to recreate the old website on a different domain, which I assume you are doing without the knowledge or consent of the company? My question is ... why do you think you have any task more important than updating your CV and looking for a new job at a company that isn't on a suicide mission? Get out of there while you can!
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Why would any company possibly want to do this? I NO UNDERSTAND.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with this advice, If www.example.com has better rank for your KEYWORD, why dont just use www.example.org as LANDING PAGE , BUT on adword use sub domain of www.example.com as REDIRECT URL to www.example.org (exp => xxx.example.com ~~~> www.example.org )

CMIIW

hope this help. thx
    Last edited by Stevie D; Aug 2, 2013 at 03:57. Reason: Example URLs de-linked

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post

A very good point. I've worked with companies that think like this, often with no real logical basis or understanding. They see a website that does well, see that it has one page, and then decide to get rid of their content.

Competitive analysis is a good thing, but it's killed a load of companies I've worked with. One company, a parent company of one of my last employers decided to abuse long-tail pages. They created tens of thousands of unrelated pages to their sector (finance), and when the Panda update hit they were hit harder than any company I've ever known.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

removing link

Redirect all 200 inner pages to 200 inner pages of new domain
    i.e. example.com/page3.html to example.org/page3.html
    example.com/page4.html to example.org/page4.html
    example.com/page5.html to example.org/page5.html
    Last edited by Mahesh123; Aug 2, 2013 at 05:55. Reason: removing link

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahesh123 View Post
    Redirect all 200 inner pages to 200 inner pages of new domain
    i.e. example.com/page3.html to example.org/page3.html
    example.com/page4.html to example.org/page4.html
    example.com/page5.html to example.org/page5.html
    Another thought ... if you do that, the company could sack you for sabotage. The reason they are making this change, I assume, is to channel all the traffic the website currently gets through a single advertising stream (never mind that it's a stupid strategy, that's what they are doing). If you put those redirects on, you're siphoning off any visitors who land on any pages apart from the home page, which means they aren't going through to the advert page that your company wants them to. If I had an employee who undermined the company strategy like that, they would be out before they had time to blink.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're absolutely right in using the main domain instead of the sub-domain. You're already on the right track and you have redirected the pages to your new domain. What is needed now is to do more promotion and seo campaigns.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also agree with Stevie D. You can keep this very simple, just keep www.example.com as it is and use the new domain which is www.example.org for adwords account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cagenicolus View Post
    I also agree with Stevie D. You can keep this very simple, just keep www.example.com as it is and use the new domain which is www.example.org for adwords account.
    Agree. SEO Optimized Page is not necessary for Ad-words Landing Page. You can create Separate landing Page with the website.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much guys for valuable replies. I appreciate support and guidance you guys provided to me here. Again Thanks for all the people who replied and the Team Sitepoint