SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up New here, new to web design and new to critics - please review my site...

    Hello all, please take a moment to have a look at my nearly completed website.

    It is in HTML5 and is about 85% complete (the content has not bee uploaded yet - it's all still on word documents!). The home page is laid out as I want it but the slideshow is just there for show - it isn't finished yet. More interested in first impressions and feel for the design/colours/picture style and also the intuitiveness of the navigation boxes. The content pages also have a standard layout which is in line with the home page style.

    The website is for a b2b consulting business - not corporate but a smaller, specialised, innovative, dynamic and resourceful partnering type organisation.

    Tips and constructive criticism are welcome - this is all my own design and I am not a web designer! All done on the Moonfruit platform.

    Link: http://www.intelzon.com


    Many thanks, Mark
    Last edited by HAWK; Jul 17, 2013 at 12:22. Reason: Link added to original post

  2. #2
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First rule of requesting feedback on your website is to include a link to the website - DOH!

    www.intelzon.com

    Many thanks

  3. #3
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,299
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Intelzon View Post
    First rule of requesting feedback on your website is to include a link to the website - DOH!
    Yeah, that helps.

    Site looks quite nice, but you always risk confusing visitors by having non-traditional links like you do. I guess people would figure them out, though. It does concern me a bit that the navigation links are not consistent from one page to another, also. On the What we Do page, for example, you've lost the competitive, performance, talent and inspiration links because of the content. Might be better to have those links in the footer, or in addition.

    It's also useful to have a stand-out introduction that also tells visitors what to do next. At the moment, there's some info on your home page, but not really an invitation to DO anything.

    The opening paragraph is a bit wordy and over long, so consider breaking it into two or more simpler sentences. In the second sentence, you need a colon in place of that semi colon.

    Hope that helps.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The text in the navigation boxes is in a <div> somewhere else, later in the html, then the <a> link of the boxes. That means: the boxes are click-able only outside the text, and the text itself is not click-able because it has a higher z-index.
    My mouse is attracted by the text!
    It should be better to have 1 element (the link) for the whole click-able surface, in which the text can be positioned with a <span>.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Yeah, that helps.

    Site looks quite nice, but you always risk confusing visitors by having non-traditional links like you do. I guess people would figure them out, though. It does concern me a bit that the navigation links are not consistent from one page to another, also. On the What we Do page, for example, you've lost the competitive, performance, talent and inspiration links because of the content. Might be better to have those links in the footer, or in addition.

    It's also useful to have a stand-out introduction that also tells visitors what to do next. At the moment, there's some info on your home page, but not really an invitation to DO anything.

    The opening paragraph is a bit wordy and over long, so consider breaking it into two or more simpler sentences. In the second sentence, you need a colon in place of that semi colon.

    Hope that helps.


    That's good advice, I might put some links in the footer background. The idea was to have just the Home, About and Contact pages permanently linked in the menu at the top with a more detailed and permanent Site Map link at the bottom-right. It's really about conveying how 3 complex disciplines come together to create a quite simple concept. Is not easy to get the message across succinctly!

  6. #6
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visually the site looks intriguing. However, it is hard to for me to know exactly what it is you want me to do on your site. Perhaps, make the homepage navigation links similar to each other. For example, with "competitive intelligence, performance monitoring, &talent profiling" you have a two-tone text link. It could help visitors if you show "What we do", "Who we are" etc. in the same two-tone colors. This way we know that these are of importance as well.

    I hope that helps! Good Luck.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Intelzon,
    If you move the main text of the homepage ("Welcome" etc.) to the box right under the logo, then the short description of the company will get the attention immediately, the 3 buttons under it are explained clearly, and you are winning page space as well.

    Screenshot of a possibility: ih-screenshot-nw.jpg

    What is the difference between the pages "About" and "Who we are"? As a visitor I should think that means the same, so maybe they can be combined in 1 page: that's winning a link (/button) and the visitor has less to decide where to click.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the grid layout, for some reason I feel white background might work better

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Profferca View Post
    I like the grid layout, for some reason I feel white background might work better

    I've been in two minds about the black background ever since I started out with it. I naturally prefer white background websites as I think they just look cleaner. Your comment tempted me to change the background colour. Please take a look and tell me if you prefer it - I think I do!

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Intelzon View Post
    I've been in two minds about the black background ever since I started out with it. I naturally prefer white background websites as I think they just look cleaner. Your comment tempted me to change the background colour. Please take a look and tell me if you prefer it - I think I do!
    Much cleaner!

    For that reason I was thinking of doing a complete over haul on my site as well. But black seems to work in moderation. Also, I think if the logo is moved to the left a bit, might work out better - keeping true to the grid.
    Last edited by ralph.m; Jul 18, 2013 at 03:07.

  11. #11
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Profferca View Post
    Much cleaner!

    For that reason I was thinking of doing a complete over haul on my site as well. But black seems to work in moderation. Also, I think if the logo is moved to the left a bit, might work out better - keeping true to the grid.


    Yes, yours looks fine as the headers and footers are much narrower. Only thing I'd take a look at is your fonts - I much prefer san serif fonts, they are easier to read in my opinion and look so much cleaner plus you are using san serif in your headers and footers!


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •