SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs up Please take a moment to review my new company website...

    Hello all, I'm a newbie here and am keen to get the communities opinion on a website I have built myself (its a Moonfruit HTML5 site).

    The company is a consulting business that provides clients with research intelligence to support the corporate targets, employer branding and talent recruitment initiatives. The website is not finished from a content perspective and there will be a rolling slideshow on the home page in the 3x2 pane panel - this slideshow will include embedded messages explaining what the company does in short bullet-type format. However, hopefully, the general payout of the homepage and the content pages is finished.

    Can you let me know your first impressions...
    How intuitive are the large navigation boxes?
    There are two logos - the full company name in the box at the top and a smaller logo in the site map box bottom right - thoughts?
    Fonts?
    Home page box pictures - not corporate but not too frivolous is the balance!


    Honest opinions please and go easy on me - I am not a web designer!

    Cheers, Mark

  2. #2
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,217
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't see an url

  3. #3
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Can't see an url
    www.intelzon.com

    It's had quite a few edits since I first asked for some peer reviews. The Home page is pretty much finished now (bar a scrolling slideshow in the big panel) and the about page is also finished - and that will be the template for all the other content pages.

    Please let me have your thoughts.

    Many thanks, Mark

  4. #4
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,217
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the idea in general although I would change the text to another color. I do understand that yellow-mustard color is the company's but it is hard to read. Probably a dark gray would be better. It is easier on the eyes and I think that the page has enough color as it is.

    Not sure that I like the comments. I think they would look better if they were as organized as the top (that is, if they were properly aligned). While I appreciate the creativity of having them in a stair-like fashion, it simply doesn't work.

    Coding wise, it is a mess but I assume that this is a draft and once you have it looking right then you'll clean the code (although I would do it asap if you know the looks you're after because it is far, far away from best practices, not even to mention responsive design)

  5. #5
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    I like the idea in general although I would change the text to another color. I do understand that yellow-mustard color is the company's but it is hard to read. Probably a dark gray would be better. It is easier on the eyes and I think that the page has enough color as it is.

    Not sure that I like the comments. I think they would look better if they were as organized as the top (that is, if they were properly aligned). While I appreciate the creativity of having them in a stair-like fashion, it simply doesn't work.

    Coding wise, it is a mess but I assume that this is a draft and once you have it looking right then you'll clean the code (although I would do it asap if you know the looks you're after because it is far, far away from best practices, not even to mention responsive design)

    I am not writing code or even understand what code is! It is all done through the Moonfruit platform. What are the consequences of leaving the code 'in a mess' asuming the design looks ok?

  6. #6
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,217
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Intelzon View Post
    I am not writing code or even understand what code is! It is all done through the Moonfruit platform. What are the consequences of leaving the code 'in a mess' asuming the design looks ok?
    It is a disadvantages for SEO (search engines benefit clean code) as well as downloading times among others. Depending on the number of pictures and videos or other media that you may use, these disavantages per se may be small... or really large.

    The major disadvantage that I see though this page is not reliable for mobile phones or tablet pcs and that's where the future of the web is already going. Every year the number of people that use mobile devices for accessing information is larger so they can't be ignored.

    With a code like this, the sizes of the text and the pictures will not automatically adapt to the different screen sizes and resolutions.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    It is a disadvantages for SEO (search engines benefit clean code) as well as downloading times among others. Depending on the number of pictures and videos or other media that you may use, these disavantages per se may be small... or really large.

    The major disadvantage that I see though this page is not reliable for mobile phones or tablet pcs and that's where the future of the web is already going. Every year the number of people that use mobile devices for accessing information is larger so they can't be ignored.

    With a code like this, the sizes of the text and the pictures will not automatically adapt to the different screen sizes and resolutions.


    That is interesting as this site was originally built in Flash but Moonfruit rolled out an HTML5 conversion so I converted it to make it compliant with mobiles and tablets. It loads ok on the Android mobile and tablet that I own but I have not looked at it on any Apple devices yet. I am also constantly viewing it on different browsers on my PC - I am building it via Chrome and it looks fine on Firefox and Opera but on IE for XP it doesn't look very well rendered at all which is disappointing as many people still use IE (although God knows why!).

    Ps. I have changed the comment icons so they are now lined up straight.

  8. #8
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,217
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It looks much better and with that yellow text even more so.

    Regarding the view in tables and mobile phones, it may look good in smartphones but remember that not all smartphones behave the same not all the browsers have the same capabilities and not everybody has broadband in the smartphones.

    The system they use is automated and the code it creates is not precisely the best (as many automated system). An example is the names of the CSS classes. Plus right now you have SASS and LESS (although these may not benefit to these site, it is not that big)

    It also uses non-recommended practices such as adding styles attributes or at the top of the document instead of using an external file which should be link in the header.

    It may look good in all browsers but cleaner code meand that it is easier to program, easier to display for the browsers (=more speed) and easier to maintain.

    Even if the DOCTYPE is HTML5, this code looks from the 90's.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    98
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

    Overall I like the design. The navigation on home page was different yet I found it fairly intuitive. (it may get more challenging if more things need to be linked, but currently seems ok). The only part that is a little confusing is sections that are "underneath" others? For example, I see 'about' but on home page there are also links to who we are, what we do, etc. Those were fine there, but on the 'about' page I saw them linked as well...not too bad but too a second to try and figure out if there is some hierarchy.

    The part that I do not like is the content pages where it is fully surrounded by stuff. Extra links on right, header on top, quotes and stuff on left, etc. I would remove the boxes containing quotes unless absolutely needed, or reposition. It just feels crammed for the content.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman859 View Post
    Hello,

    Overall I like the design. The navigation on home page was different yet I found it fairly intuitive. (it may get more challenging if more things need to be linked, but currently seems ok). The only part that is a little confusing is sections that are "underneath" others? For example, I see 'about' but on home page there are also links to who we are, what we do, etc. Those were fine there, but on the 'about' page I saw them linked as well...not too bad but too a second to try and figure out if there is some hierarchy.

    The part that I do not like is the content pages where it is fully surrounded by stuff. Extra links on right, header on top, quotes and stuff on left, etc. I would remove the boxes containing quotes unless absolutely needed, or reposition. It just feels crammed for the content.


    I only wanted 3 pages in the header links menu plus a permanent SiteMap link in a style box at the bottom - there will be other links embedded in content texts to other areas of the site apposite to a leading theme. The website is more like a brochure site than a site that will pick up new business on its won via google and SEO. Most people who will visit the site will be following a direct url or via a verbal referral. It is a difficult balance presenting information in a very concise, clear way whilst also presenting a clean professional image that potential clients find appealing - I also don't want to treat visitors like idiots!

  11. #11
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,217
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Intelzon View Post
    I only wanted 3 pages in the header links menu plus a permanent SiteMap link in a style box at the bottom - there will be other links embedded in content texts to other areas of the site apposite to a leading theme. The website is more like a brochure site than a site that will pick up new business on its won via google and SEO. Most people who will visit the site will be following a direct url or via a verbal referral. It is a difficult balance presenting information in a very concise, clear way whilst also presenting a clean professional image that potential clients find appealing - I also don't want to treat visitors like idiots!
    If it is a brochure with nothing else, SEO will be of not help for you since most of it is based on new, fresh content.

    I agree with you that presenting is not easy at all but it is better to treat your visitor like idiots than not. At least, that's what statistics say

  12. #12
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a nice concept but I'm having a real hard time concentrating on things. I just get the feeling that it's all over the place and there's no order.
    What I would do is try to make it more focused on the main content and make that stand out and make the rest more subtle, avoiding clutterness.

  13. #13
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very interactive design but getting some cross browser issue on IE.It's divs width expands on internet explorer although overall your website is perfect and very colorful.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Zealot
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did a good choice in using HTML 5 for this. Fast to load and it takes 2 scrolls to view the entire page. Personally I don't like red text in page (people with color blindness may have problem but I don't know to what extent), I say it helps in highlighting important phrases there.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the feedback - The site is near to completion from an appearance point of view. The Home Page and About page are pretty much finished with content. The slideshow effect on the home page will have new images with text cues added as well. The About layout will form the basic design for all the content pages though some will dispense with the white square detail.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually really liked the overall theme of the website. I tend to like the flat metro-esque look to websites. However, it seemed really cluttered, it was hard to identify what I needed to giving mt attention to. It also took a while to load and the coding looks horrible! I would have some go over it for you and clean it up. The text was readable, but I would add some line-height to some of the paragraphs to make it easier on peoples eyes. Overall though, youre heading in the right direction! Good luck!

  17. #17
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't love it. Your "What we do", "Who we are" and "FAQ" need to be in the top navigation. Your sliders are distracting, while it looks slick, it is very cluttered as was already mentioned. I think you need to decide what is the primary goal of the website. What do you want your visitor to do.

  18. #18
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethos View Post
    I don't love it. Your "What we do", "Who we are" and "FAQ" need to be in the top navigation. Your sliders are distracting, while it looks slick, it is very cluttered as was already mentioned. I think you need to decide what is the primary goal of the website. What do you want your visitor to do.

    You don't actually say a 'why'? Why do you need navigation at the top for all the options?

  19. #19
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Intelzon View Post
    You don't actually say a 'why'? Why do you need navigation at the top for all the options?
    The user is not going to be used to this type of navigation, making this a frustrating experience. Navigation is typically at the top or down the left side. You want to make it as easy as possible for your user to get to significant parts of your site. Since we read from left to right, the user is not going to easily find those links on the right side and the bottom. You need consistency with your navigation. You have Home, About and Contact at the top, which is great, I would add more navigation options to that. Your "about us" post it looks nice, but what is the point? It is cluttering your page. You should decide what the goal of your site is and make it easy for your user to get there. I know your dual slider looks slick, but I would consolidate it into one and then make your other links more prominent on the page.

  20. #20
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website looks impressive , at first glance may confuse visitors but after a longer review all comes together. Breaf description above logo can be moved to a more appropriate place might, and about us section has two links on the first page which seems to me unnecessary. Considering that you're not a professional web designer you've really made ​​an effort to look well. More than anything, I love the design, photos that are connected like puzzle

  21. #21
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Hertfordshire, England
    Posts
    19
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zethos View Post
    The user is not going to be used to this type of navigation, making this a frustrating experience. Navigation is typically at the top or down the left side. You want to make it as easy as possible for your user to get to significant parts of your site. Since we read from left to right, the user is not going to easily find those links on the right side and the bottom. You need consistency with your navigation. You have Home, About and Contact at the top, which is great, I would add more navigation options to that. Your "about us" post it looks nice, but what is the point? It is cluttering your page. You should decide what the goal of your site is and make it easy for your user to get there. I know your dual slider looks slick, but I would consolidate it into one and then make your other links more prominent on the page.
    The post-it is really there to distinguish the company from being too corporate - it's a human touch because that is how the business works. The post-it is also there because that is ideally where i want users to go first from the home page. Navigation issues are not standard but then they are not that unusual nowadays either. If the bounce time is poor then I will reconsider things. Thanks for your feedback.

  22. #22
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Intelzon View Post
    The post-it is really there to distinguish the company from being too corporate - it's a human touch because that is how the business works. The post-it is also there because that is ideally where i want users to go first from the home page. Navigation issues are not standard but then they are not that unusual nowadays either. If the bounce time is poor then I will reconsider things. Thanks for your feedback.
    Anytime. Good luck with your site. You might do some informal usability testing by having people you know use the website without instruction. That way you can see if there are any issues with navigation.

  23. #23
    SitePoint Member xpertwebinfotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your concept is good but in my point of view the whole layout is not looking professional. You need to redesign it.

  24. #24
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Vietnam
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering that you're not a professional web designer you've really made ​​an effort to look well

  25. #25
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site is nice for a newbie. You need to use much more clear and bright images in your slideshow. In my opinion, Slideshow Text should not be rastered. and it's better to use SEO keywords in there. The tagline "We make companies more intelligent.... should be better presented i.e. may supplemented with an icon/image or something like that. In essence, I agree with "Zethos" that you need to decide what is the primary goal of the website. What do you want your visitor to do.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •