SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Designing for Mobile

Hehehe, I hope this is the right forum. I am surprised there isn't a "Webdesign for Mobile" forum as important as mobile has gotten. Hint, hint suggestion.

At any rate. This is just a general question, but if you are working with a web application framework/ platform, would you prefer to have the basis laid out simply for responsive design in the templating system, or would you rather have a supplementary mobile framework available within the platform like jQuery Mobile or Sencha Touch, so you can actually create much more compelling mobile versions of your web application/ site? I realize this goes along with how much experience you have, but let's say you are very experienced, what would you consider the better choice?

Scott

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm...no reply? Is my question not clear or do you need more information to answer?

Scott

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scott your question is confusing,

i can infer you are looking for a mobile version of any website.

there are 2 options
    you get a completely different set of code for your website.
    you pick up a jQuery which change according to screen size.
    To compile my answer, at website level only css is modified to be viewed in different screen resolution.

if not done in a proper manner it may make your website slow.

Andrew

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, let me reword it a bit.

In a web site application sofware (i.e. CMS or Forum or Web Shop, etc.), you usually have some form of template system. Would you prefer to have a relatively basic CSS/HTML5 template sytem, that would just render your site design to respond to different screen sizes? Or would you rather have a more full blown HTML5/CSS/Javascript framework attachable to the system, so you can make a more "mobile app" like system for smaller screen sizes?

Why I ask, to do RWD more thinking has to be put into the front-end design. For the more "appy" kind of front-end with an HTML5/CSS/Javascript framework, more thought has to be put into the back-end. I have a feeling, to create such a system the best way both would be wanted. Even an API to connect true mobile applications would be needed too.

So, never mind....

Scott