SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does slicing images help in webpages?
    I mean, even though they're separate images, the total size would still be the same, or even bigger, right?

Doesn't that mean it'll take just as long to load? Or does slicing affect the image rendering speed instead?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the idea is that sometimes it's the only way to achieve the desired result/look/feel. Like this:

http://www.explodemedia.com

I made one giant image, but wanted mouseovers, and I wasn't sure how I could connect it all together to look the way it does now, but image slicing made it all possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slicing is great for designers who like to start with a visual image. You can substitute certain slices or cells with background colors reducing download. You can substitute other cells with text or server includes.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slicing images often makes the images load faster as the browser does not have to download the info associated with one large image before it can display it.

Slicing a large image into smaller pieces (and reassembling the pieces in a table) may make it seem like the page is loading more quickly to your visitors. It keeps them from having to look at a blank screen for an extended period of time. Keep in mind though that downloading many small images will take longer than downloading one large image.

However, sometimes the complexities involved in slicing up a complicated image and then laying it out properly outweigh the benefits. Not only does the browser have to download the images information, but also any infomration pertaining to layout such as layers or tables.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also means a separate call to the server for each image!

Rollovers are the best use of sliced images.

I also made a simple site once that had a corner bracket around the text area. Kinda like a cross on the top left corner of a text block, with the lower half hanging down beside the text and the horizontal line going over the top of the text.

The only way to do this was to slice the image up into two pieces and then reassemble it in tables to acheive the desired effect.