SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wondering how many sitepointers are living in the Inglewood, CA area? -and (you knew it was coming), if so, if any would be willing to donate their old 486 or better pc, (PII 200 anyone?), to my classroom?

I am bringing in my old 486, but it is horridly slow, and I'd like to have two PII 200-ish ones. I barely have the space for this, but I am going to make space.

After a whole bunch of complaining by the teachers, I just found out that this year, my kids are going to get 3 weeks at the computer lab (45 minutes a day for 3 weeks), which is up from the 2 weeks last year.

Now we only have one computer lab with about 30 computers in it, and although this might seem like it is enough, we are actually quite a large elementary school (over 1,300 students, 11 first grade classes alone).

I find 3 weeks unacceptable and am looking for (tax deductable ) donations. Last year I moved from class to class every month (with my kids and all their and my stuff). This year I have a classroom (actually 1/3 of a classroom, but it is all mine and I'm not going to be picky)!

If anyone can help (or knows someone who might be able to help me out), please contact me via email link. Thankx!
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I'm from Dallas. I'll bet there are some out there though. Good luck!
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I'm from New Jersey. Surely someone here is from that area.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact businesses in your area. Most will like a formal proposal but the payoff could be big.

Look at companies like Boeing, Mattel, eToys, eHobbies, Ingram Micro. They most likely have employees in your area and will probably donate machines.

Where I live Lockheed, Boeing, Rite-Aid, Kaufman & Broad and other large corporations regularly donate hundreds of thousands of dollars to the schools. Look at the local community college, CSLA, USC or UCLA, they usually have a bigger budget for equipment and can donate older stuff.

Another option is to get on Target's School donation list. They regularly donate 5% of the purchase price of select items to schools in the store's area. Wal-Mart does the same. Albertson's SuperMarket has a Community program where the school can sign up and each parent would get club cards. A percentage of the sells goes to the school every time the parents show the card.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, actually we got about 20 from a local biz (local biz, meaing one of the larger places around here). Unfortunately, many of them either had the HD's pulled or completely erased (no OS). We can't just take a disk from home and load on the OS, (school regulations, we have to pay for licenses).

The 20 we got weren't enough to go around (pity), but I'm trying to think of some places to go to. This was just a shot in the dark.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken