SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

I have just installed a CD Writer in my computer. I am now wondering whether it is legal to make backups of my games and software i have bought on CD??

If so, is it as simple as just copying from my DVD/CD Rom to my new CDR Writer?? Or, is this not possible?

Do you know of any web sites that explain the situation, or do you have experience in this area?

I look forward to a reply,

internationally.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Anything you own, or have ever owned, you can copy onto a CD, legally.

Yes you can do it with audio CDs and CD-Roms. No you can't do it with DVDs. DVD uses a different kind of technology and you need special hardware and software to copy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you're not taking what you have, copying it onto CD, and selling it to people, you will be fine.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can legally make a copy of anything you own a license for as long as it is only a backup copy and not for actual use, e.g. Audio CDs - you can make a copy onto another CD or tape as long as both copies are never in use at the same time.

It's not as simple as just pressing the copy button anymore to make a backup of anything you own a license for anymore.

Most games now have copy protection built in that will stop you from easily making a backup of them.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Karl

Most games now have copy protection built in that will stop you from easily making a backup of them.
    That is completely false. You can make a copy of any computer game. The CD burner copys exactly what is on the disk, your new copy will function exactly as it would if it were store bought.

This works a little different with console gaming. Like playstation games. However that is easily bypassed.

But as far as computer games are concerned, you can make a million copies and the game software will never know it.

Chris

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No that is inaccurate...try it.
    Most games now have protection - the CDRW drive can't copy a certain area of the disk header sector...here some special copy protection code is stored.
    There are ways round it but they are pretty awkward and not a very good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have new games, I've copied them.

The CD-R will copy exactly what is on the CD.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but could you actually install the game with those CDs?
    Sometimes the copy protection stops you using them completely...others it just stops you installing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most recent things I've copied is office 2000, halflife, ff8.

Everything works fine. Think about it. The software can't write to the CD that you've installed it. The CD will always act like it hasn't been installed before. And when copying a CD the CD-R does not follow any special instructions on the CD, it just copies what it sees.

With playstation games Sony purposefully damaged the first few sectors of the CD and it programmed its system to check for the damaged sectors, but thats a hardware thing. You couldn't copy them since it's not software but a defect in the CD itself.

Computer Software is completely different. You can copy the contents of your CD to your hard drive and install it from that.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CD Clone - http://www.elby.de/CloneCD/english/
    This CD Copy soft is awesome. It copies in RAW Mode (bit per bit) which allows you to make a perfect replica of your original CDs (avoiding sometimes the copy protection).

Also, check out this page for Game Copy tips and tricks: http://www.gamecopyworld.com/

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MS have never implemented copy protection so you'd have no trouble with any of their stuff, except their games. Try copying, say, MS Flight Sim, or The Sims. Those are just two examples of games that use extensive copy protection.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh! I wasted a CD-R not even 10 minutes ago trying to copy AOE 2. I knew I should have gone to SitePoint first

Still, that's the first coaster I have to date. I've backed-up a few games without any problems

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also almost all EA games have some sort of protection, I know I bought Madden 2001 recently and tried to back it up unsucessfully.
    Sincerely,
    Bogdan Arsenie
    http://www.electrorev.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    The most recent things I've copied is office 2000, halflife, ff8.

Everything works fine. Think about it. The software can't write to the CD that you've installed it. The CD will always act like it hasn't been installed before. And when copying a CD the CD-R does not follow any special instructions on the CD, it just copies what it sees.

With playstation games Sony purposefully damaged the first few sectors of the CD and it programmed its system to check for the damaged sectors, but thats a hardware thing. You couldn't copy them since it's not software but a defect in the CD itself.

Computer Software is completely different. You can copy the contents of your CD to your hard drive and install it from that.

As far as I know HalfLife has no protection, O2k has none as state, I'm not sure about ff8.

Most games have copy protection and copying in RAW mode will not make a difference as the copy protection is usually placed in an area that a CDR can't write to - which is why there are sites such as gamecopyworld et al.

Also a lot of games use the same trick as the PS1 i.e. placing bad sectors on the CD that can't be copied with a CDR.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are certain games that has copy protection, the EA games does, as Bogdan A pointed out, Unreal Tournament has copy protection, Championship Manager 2 has copy protection, most Interplay games has copy protection, Diablo 2 has copy protection...lots of stuff.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not true playstation CDs can't be copied with your CDR. Playstation games use what is called '4 seconds protection' this sector can be copied easily with NERO Burning Rom from http://www.ahead.de/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, PS CDs use bad sectors to stop it being copied fully (That's why they are black) and the PS needs to be chipped to play any CDs that are on CDRs - I don't know for sure as I don't own a PS but I have friends who do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by aspen
    Originally posted by Karl

That is completely false. You can make a copy of any computer game. The CD burner copys exactly what is on the disk, your new copy will function exactly as it would if it were store bought.

This works a little different with console gaming. Like playstation games. However that is easily bypassed.

But as far as computer games are concerned, you can make a million copies and the game software will never know it.

Chris
    Nope, try coping Kings Quest (i think thats what it was called)...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on your CD ROM drive, your CD-Burner, and your software, whether copy protection will pass/fail. Yes, they do add bad sectors, audio tracks, and mess with some size issues, but these are all defeatable. The best drive(s) to use are Panasonic Plextor drives. They are the best and are supposed to be able to copy and rip better than any other drive. Even without this kind of drive, you can still defeat about any protection on the CD. About Playstation games, all you need to play them is a MOD chip, which you can easily buy. The MOD chip intercepts the code that is checked and passes a valid code to the chip in the Playstation. The MOD chip will also allow you to play imported games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend told me yesterday that the MOD chip for PS2 is available for 26 in the UK now.